Should I be bitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband bought me a new LV bag for our anniversary a few weeks ago. We can definitely afford it, but it's still hard for me to accept dropping $800 for a handbag, even though I've wanted one forever. Anyway, long story short, my husband's brother's girlfriend saw it one night when they were over and seemed to like it.

Fast forward 2 weeks, and she now has a brand new LV bag for her birthday. I feel like she's copying me. Everyone on my husband's side are huge Coach fans and that's all they buy. I am a Coach fan too, which is why the LV purchase was a big deal for me. Not to sound like a stuck up snob, but we make good money, and can definitely afford the extra things we want. My BIL and his girlfriend don't really fit the LV lifestyle...I won't go into too many details...but I feel like she is trying to copy me. Should I be bitter that they went out and bought her the same brand of bag that I got (There has been no mention of LV from them ever before...heck, when she text me a pic of her new bag, she spelled Vuitton wrong). I feel horrible for feeling this way, but it still bothers me!!!

Take it as a compliment! She admired something you had...and maybe she had been looking at them for a while, but it was the first time she really got a chance to see one up close. All of us have copied someone at some point; nobody is original. I cannot tell you how many people's styles I have admired so much that I bought something so that I could achieve that look. I didn't even care that much about LV until I came to the purse forum and learned more about it. This might be something you can have in common...I wish I has a friend or relative who appreciated luxury goods as much as I do...

I'm rather distressed to have to break some disappointing news to the OP, but I am reasonably certain that to qualify for the LV lifestyle one must meet the 3 bag minimum.

All of this is carefully explained in the social circular they send around when one is invited into the lifestyle by LV's secretary of community and lifestyle affairs, Mrs. Thurston Howell the third.

Cheeky! But I'm glad I made to the 3 bag mark :biggrin:

OP I think you should be happy for her...spread the LV love!

OP, I kind of don't like the comment you made about 'not living the LV lifestyle.' I am saving up a lot of hard earned money for a Neverfull, and many would call that one of Louis Vuitton's more affordable pieces, a 'cheaper' bag. I guess I don't fit the LV lifestyle? Although I do have my grandmother's French Co. Speedy and she was a very wealthy woman, so I guess she did.

I think that's a rude thing to say about someone. So what if she saw how beautifully crafted LV bags are because you got one? You have someone to talk to about them and share your newfound "love." I decided I loved the Neverfull after seeing it on my friend's shoulder when we were 16. I was only 16 when the bag came out - there's no way I would've seen it somewhere else even though it was a new bag. I fell in love with it because my friend had it. I guess I'm copying her to buy it now, even though I've seen many other women I know who now have it.

I think you are looking at this from a very negatively wasteful viewpoint, when you could be letting go of this, and looking at it positively. It only hurts you in the long run to hold on to this kind of thing.

I'm rather distressed to have to break some disappointing news to the OP, but I am reasonably certain that to qualify for the LV lifestyle one must meet the 3 bag minimum.

All of this is carefully explained in the social circular they send around when one is invited into the lifestyle by LV's secretary of community and lifestyle affairs, Mrs. Thurston Howell the third.
LMAO!! Me and bff started a Coach sorority (before I was obsessed with LV) and we had a minimum number of bags to join (2) and a minimum to be a board member (5). I told her other friend she couldn't join the Coach sorority and she was offended. lol I should start our LV sorority. But I would be the only board member and my bff wouldn't be allowed to join because she only has one thing. :giggles:

There is probably at least a million people in the world who own an LV bag. Im sure you saw LV on someone when you decided that you liked it. You cant be bitter or upset that your friend or family purchased it too. Even if it was the same bag its nothing to be bothered by in the least. If she seriously runs out and buys everything that you buy...That would be annoying. Unless thats the case I think its normal. she shouldnt have to wait to buy one just because you just got yours.

Left a good job in the city,

working for LV every night and day,

never lost one minute of ebaying,

wondering how many bags might've got away,

Stomach keeps on turnin'

LV jealousy keeps some burnin'

xx

Last edited by a moderator:

:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

Left a good job in the city,

working for LV every night and day,

never lost one minute of ebaying,

wondering how many bags might've got away,

Stomach keeps on turnin'

LV jealousy keeps some burnin'

xx.
:roflmfao: You are witty! I think we should be friends :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe my first post came off a bit snooty even though I didn't mean it that way. We work our butts off for everything that we have...and we happen to do very well (trust me, I came from nothing. I had no clue what a coach purse was until my husband bought me one 10 years ago). I guess my point is that even with all we have, it was hard for me to pull the trigger. Ok, so they don't make as much as we do (Like I said, I'm not going into specifics), but it just bothers me that they drop over $1000 like it's no big deal, a mere week after I finally get mine. (I might add too that she had no clue that my bag was a LV b/c I have the DE Canvas until my SIL was like "woah, when did you get the LV bag?".) So no, she doesn't really know anything about LV...it was just something she and my BIL did to try to keep up.

Look at it this way...If you went out one day and bought a brand new Mercedes, and then a family member went out and bought a new mercedes the following week, wouldn't it leave a sour taste in your mouth for a little while? At least give me some time to enjoy my new item instead of stealing my thunder right away! If that's conceited, then so be it.

Maybe my first post came off a bit snooty even though I didn't mean it that way. We work our butts off for everything that we have...and we happen to do very well (trust me, I came from nothing. I had no clue what a coach purse was until my husband bought me one 10 years ago). I guess my point is that even with all we have, it was hard for me to pull the trigger. Ok, so they don't make as much as we do (Like I said, I'm not going into specifics), but it just bothers me that they drop over $1000 like it's no big deal, a mere week after I finally get mine. (I might add too that she had no clue that my bag was a LV b/c I have the DE Canvas until my SIL was like "woah, when did you get the LV bag?".) So no, she doesn't really know anything about LV...it was just something she and my BIL did to try to keep up.

Look at it this way...If you went out one day and bought a brand new Mercedes, and then a family member went out and bought a new mercedes the following week, wouldn't it leave a sour taste in your mouth for a little while? At least give me some time to enjoy my new item instead of stealing my thunder right away! If that's conceited, then so be it.

To be honest with you, no it wouldn't really bother me if a family member went out and bought a Mercedes right after I did. I guess I see your point of view, but I just disagree.

And to be honest with you, my husband and I probably make a lot less than both you and your family, and I'm saving up from tutoring to buy it. I would hope someone in my family wouldn't judge me for making the purchase because they know how hard and long I've saved for, and they know how badly for how many years I've wanted this bag. Granted, I understand you don't think your sister or sister in law (not really clear) even wanted it or saved up for it, but still. This isn't like her stealing your thunder at your wedding or baby shower, it's a purchase of a bag, a bag you didn't even want or anticipate, as it was a gift.

My husband bought me a new LV bag for our anniversary a few weeks ago. We can definitely afford it, but it's still hard for me to accept dropping $800 for a handbag, even though I've wanted one forever. Anyway, long story short, my husband's brother's girlfriend saw it one night when they were over and seemed to like it.

Fast forward 2 weeks, and she now has a brand new LV bag for her birthday. I feel like she's copying me. Everyone on my husband's side are huge Coach fans and that's all they buy. I am a Coach fan too, which is why the LV purchase was a big deal for me. Not to sound like a stuck up snob, but we make good money, and can definitely afford the extra things we want. My BIL and his girlfriend don't really fit the LV lifestyle...I won't go into too many details...but I feel like she is trying to copy me. Should I be bitter that they went out and bought her the same brand of bag that I got (There has been no mention of LV from them ever before...heck, when she text me a pic of her new bag, she spelled Vuitton wrong). I feel horrible for feeling this way, but it still bothers me!!!

I realize I don't own the LV brand and that others can enjoy it too. I don't know you, so you're not "copying" me...and I'm not "Copying" anyone else either. It's just a little ironic that she goes out and buys the exact same thing a few days later. It's just annoying more than anything. I've wanted it forever, and she gets one "Just because" I did.

Actually, you can pat yourself on the back! According to you, she bought the exact same bag except in a different canvas, but you paid $800 and she paid "over $1000."

Ummm, interesting thread? Lol.

OP I think you are disguising your annoyance that you're not the only high-end liking girl in your family circle, with derogatory comments about your BIL's gf. It comes off to me as an immature pout because you wanted to be the only one? To one-up everyone? Create drama? Why be that way? Get over it, would be my advice :smile: and just enjoy your bag. I can understand not wanting to be copied at every turn. But I would personally find it fun to bond with her over it if it were me.. It's just purses lol. Enjoy the quality of the brand together. She texted you when she got it as a gift. She probably loved the bag and wanted to share her happiness with you. How interesting that you choose to be annoyed about it instead. :sad: I hope you find it in you to let go of your bitterness. Your brother in law can certainly spend his money however he likes. In spite of how difficult it was for you to spend the money. It's not your place to judge if it's easier for others to spend that money. They are not you. And as I'm sure everyone here would agree, the quality is certainly worth the cost. :smile:

I don't even understand what a "LV Lifestyle" is... we are all so different in here. But who is to say we don't deserve to have LV? Who is to say you cannot enjoy your new item just because someone else got it? It feels a little childish. Just enjoy your bags, and let your SIL enjoy hers!

Status
Not open for further replies.