Should I ask my parent for a Chanel bag as my graduation gift?

Birdly

Apr 25, 2019
Should I ask my parent for a Chanel bag as my graduation gift?. I'm going to be graduate from my university pretty soon so should I ask my parent for it? I would prefer the woc over the classic flap, I think it more suitable for my body. I know it costing a lot of money but I'm also trying my best to help my mom pay at least half of it off. I have been collecting some extra money from my allowance and also from my part-time job. My mom usually let me borrow her bag however, I would be really appreciated if I receive it as my own.
Thanks

Reactions: MahaM
Wouldn't you be in the best position to know the answer to this, vs. strangers who know nothing of your family situation and personal finances? We don't know if you're the person who would have a $6K handbag but no ability to pay rent for yourself, or to help with expenses if you live at home--just an example of the vacuum of info.

I personally think.. it'll be more meaningful if you buy a Chanel or whatever HOLY grail you have in mind.. with your first pay check.

Meanwhile.. congratzz on your upcoming graduation sweetie!
But you know.. your fees didn't come cheap.
So... maybe it's not time to ask for a gift. But more important for you to give it back to them in your own way as a sign of appreciation =)

Should I ask my parent for a Chanel bag as my graduation gift?. I'm going to be graduate from my university pretty soon so should I ask my parent for it? I would prefer the woc over the classic flap, I think it more suitable for my body. I know it costing a lot of money but I'm also trying my best to help my mom pay at least half of it off. I have been collecting some extra money from my allowance and also from my part-time job. My mom usually let me borrow her bag however, I would be really appreciated if I receive it as my own.
Thanks

I don't know whether you should ASK for a gift.
If your parents ask you what kind of gift you want, you can lightly mention it if it's in their means.
But personally I've never asked my parents for anything. They just think of something I might need and force me to go into the store to buy them.

I normally don't frequent the Chanel forum these days, given I don't own a gold mine or oil well, but the title of this thread caught my eye. I fully agree with the majority of posts here so far. It's ridiculous to be spending that amount of money on a "pocketbook" when your priorities as a university graduate should be saving any money you have for your own place to live, living expenses, transportation, food, clothing, etc. You know, all those "adult" things that come first and foremost in all our lives no matter what our income levels. I could rant on this subject all day, I am the parent of a 32 year old, but I'll stop with this thought: The most valuable lesson and advice I have to offer is that you need to learn to live on your own income and within your own means. You are an adult now. Your parents ceased to be legally or financially responsible for you when you turned 18 years old.

If you want a meaningful graduation gift, choose something more precious than a pocketbook and definitely more reasonably priced than 6K.

So your parents have just finished paying for your university and still give you an allowance, and you would like them to buy you a 3,000 to 6,000 gift? To be honest, I think your graduation should be a time to thank them for all that they have done for you, not expecting gifts. If they want to buy you something, they may, but that should be outside of any action you make.

I agree with everyone who suggested that whether you should ask or not depends on the financial situation of your family and how you guys celebrate these kind of occasions. I never even thought about asking my parents for a graduation gift. I was extremely fortunate that my parents were able to finance me through uni, covering both my fees and living expenses (including having an apartment in a nice part of London) for 9 years. For my BA and MA graduations we celebrated together with nice dinners. For my PhD graduation they surprised me with a gift of their choice which was quite a bit more than a Chanel bag ;)