should I ask my friend for a discount?

bbeeccaa

O.G.
Jul 1, 2010
A friendly aquaintence of mine asked me to go for a fitting and walk in her fashion showcase. there was one piece in particular that I fell in love with (and she personally chose it for me to walk in) and she encouraged me to order when she got the site up and running. Only thing is, while it's not super expensive but it's a tad out of my price range, as I normallly don't spend any more than $100 on a dress (I'm a bag gal haha). Would it be totally tacky of my to ask for a price break? I'd even be willing to purchase the sample instead of the final retail product if anything..just not sure how this sort of etiquette goes esp since I'm not superclose to her so I don't feel completely comfortable asking her this question but I do love the dress but I am doing this as a favor to her so obviously I will not be compensated for fittings, travel, the show etc...TIA.

Last edited:
My policy, with friends, is don't ask for one. No offense, if she wanted you to have one, she would have said something. It doesn't sound like you're friends with her. I think she looks at you as a customer. However, I think it's tacky she didn't mention a price range before showing you the pieces. If you really can't afford it, be up front. You don't want her to put more work, money, into it and turn around and be in a hole.

I can see where you are coming from. She did ask you to walk in her showcase, which is something you won't be compensated for. But, she's trying to start her business and I can understand why she would need every dollar she can get.

What if you casually mention that you adore the dress, but you'll have to save money before you can afford it? She'll have two options; she can offer a discount or agree that you'll have to save up your money. I wouldn't come out and ask. A less direct approach may work better.

I agree with Natalie, let her know how she have great taste picking out a dress for you to walk in and how you love it so much but unfortunately it's out of your budget and have to save up, maybe she'll offer something since you were nice enough to do a walk for her =)

Im ALL for discounts & coupons!

If you can order online (not sure if that's the case or not) then you can casually say something like..."I was looking online to see if I could locate a discount code before I purchased that dress & I just couldn't find one. Do you know if theres any current discounts available?"

Just an idea....

I agree with Natalie, let her know how she have great taste picking out a dress for you to walk in and how you love it so much but unfortunately it's out of your budget and have to save up, maybe she'll offer something since you were nice enough to do a walk for her =)
I agree! This way you're not actually asking for one, you're just letting her know in a very subtle way you would like one ;)

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't ask. I think it's really tacky. If I was starting a new business and asked friends of mine to help out, I would have compensated them in some way to begin with, but if I was unable to, there's probably a reason why, which may be the case here. Asking for a discount may put a strain on your friendship, especially since you said that you're not all that close.

I remember I was working at Sephora and this girl I hadn't seen in, no joke at least 10 years, probably closer to 11 or 12, and one of the first things she asked me was if I got a discount, and if I could use it for her. I just thought it was so tacky, and rude tbh, and I fear that this may be a similar situation.

If you don't feel comfortable spending the money on the dress, then don't buy it. To me, it's just that simple.

I think that you shoudn't t ask for a discount. I mean, you do deserve it but asking wouldn't be nice in my opinion. You already told your friend how much you love the dress and if she was ok with giving you a discount she would have said something in that occasion, for sure.

With that said, my idea is that if someone does something for me I must return the favor. And viceversa.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't ask. I think it's really tacky. If I was starting a new business and asked friends of mine to help out, I would have compensated them in some way to begin with, but if I was unable to, there's probably a reason why, which may be the case here. Asking for a discount may put a strain on your friendship, especially since you said that you're not all that close.

I remember I was working at Sephora and this girl I hadn't seen in, no joke at least 10 years, probably closer to 11 or 12, and one of the first things she asked me was if I got a discount, and if I could use it for her. I just thought it was so tacky, and rude tbh, and I fear that this may be a similar situation.

If you don't feel comfortable spending the money on the dress, then don't buy it. To me, it's just that simple.

Totally agree with the bolded.