Should I ask for partial refund?

louislover260

Jan 16, 2008
I recently bought a vintage Gucci clutch on eBay like last week. I asked, as well as a friend about the condition of the leather piping on the corners and what not. And to both of us the seller said that all piping was perfect...

...Well... as all eBay nightmares go, I'm sure we can all see where this is going...

The bag comes, and the corners are FAR from perfect. They aren't blown out or anything, but they have considerable wear... (for those of you who are jumping the "it's vintage, get over it" gun... stop reading now... you don't have the answers I want lol!) It'd be one thing if the seller was honest about the piping... but the seller said they were perfect, to me AND my friend, and even another interested buyer!

Well, I already left positive feedback after quickly looking over the bag and leaving for vacation... but I carried it today, and the wear is so obvious! I didn't pay much, only like $96 I think before shipping... so since the seller wasn't honest, should I ask for like a $15, $20, partial refund? I dont want to return it, given that it's vintage, and I most likely couldn't find another at that price... so I think a partial refund is fair...

Used to be when you bought something on ebay that was used or vintage and you got it a good price, you just figured that was part of the ebay deal. Now people want discounts and refunds for every thing that is not new or perfect. Not directing this to you here specifically, OP, but this is a whole new ebay. Sellers of brand new stuff and nothing is "I got it on ebay and I love it because it was unique and a good deal" much anymore....
As for this specific case, did it say used and vintage?? The days are gone of trying to sell stuff you no longer use or want and having buyer be happy.

lol... this type of reply was exactly what I didn't want.

It said Vintage, which I would have been MORE than fine with... but when asked, the seller shouldn't lie and not send pics...

It's the LYING that I'm not happy with... don't tell me the corners are perfect when they are far from perfect...

I'm pleased with the deal, and would be fine with the wear if the wear had been disclosed... but since I was expecting "Perfect Corners and piping" I think I have a right to be upset

You probably should have looked it over more thoroughly before leaving feedback. No offense, but if I was the seller and it appeared you were happy, I wouldn't give any money back. Problems like this need to be brought up immediately upon receipt of the item.

^^ I agree. I bought a bag once, loved it immediately, left feedback without a thorough lookover and discovered a scratch later. I took that as my fault. My haste and lack of thoroughness put me in that position. Nevertheless, I still love the bag, i wear the scratched side against my body and figure it would have gotten messed up eventually! Just love the deal you got for a great bag.

It is unfortunate that you did leave feedback. However, since she really didn't

disclose that the fact that the corners were worn more than she said they were,

I would e-mail her and explain how you are feeling ( disappointed) and perhaps you

can work something out. It is worth a shot as you never know. If she doesn't respond

positively, you really can't be too upset as you have to take some responsibility for

not looking at the bag more closely. Can you take it to a shoemaker and have the edges

touched up?

Perhaps if you could post the auction link, folks might could give a better opinion based on what the seller conveyed and pictured....?? It's difficult to determine SNAD when we have not seen the auction description and photos TBH....

As a seller, if someone wants a partial refund, I feel they are well on the way to scamming me. I refuse ANY request for partial refund, and usually will offer a full refund. Not sure how I'd reply to you, especially if a few weeks have gone by (with you on vacation). I think I'd think you had some buyer's remorse, or hadn't gotten all the "ooh's" and "ahhh's" you'd hoped for.

As a buyer, you have some responsibility -- a quick glance should have told you the corners weren't good, no matter how hurried you were. If you had time to leave feedback, you had IMHO enough time to look over the bag effectively. As a buyer, either I want the item in the condition it is in, or I don't want it at all. A few dollar refund won't make me like something I feel is in poor condition. JMHO

As a seller, if someone wants a partial refund, I feel they are well on the way to scamming me. I refuse ANY request for partial refund, and usually will offer a full refund. Not sure how I'd reply to you, especially if a few weeks have gone by (with you on vacation). I think I'd think you had some buyer's remorse, or hadn't gotten all the "ooh's" and "ahhh's" you'd hoped for.

As a buyer, you have some responsibility -- a quick glance should have told you the corners weren't good, no matter how hurried you were. If you had time to leave feedback, you had IMHO enough time to look over the bag effectively. As a buyer, either I want the item in the condition it is in, or I don't want it at all. A few dollar refund won't make me like something I feel is in poor condition. JMHO

ˆˆˆWell put and my sentiments exactly. I too do not offer partial refunds preferring to make it right with a full refund upon return. As a seller we have seen our fair share of complaints over minor issues that were usually clear from the description but as Ellie Mae said, if you post the link you may find some agreement that the seller was less than honest but you'll be hard pressed to find agreement in asking for a refund after feedback has been left and time has passed.

ˆˆˆWell put and my sentiments exactly. I too do not offer partial refunds preferring to make it right with a full refund upon return. As a seller we have seen our fair share of complaints over minor issues that were usually clear from the description but as Ellie Mae said, if you post the link you may find some agreement that the seller was less than honest but you'll be hard pressed to find agreement in asking for a refund after feedback has been left and time has passed.

And I agree.. do not leave POS feedback until such time as one is SATISFIED w/ ones purchase. If you say ALL IS WELL, then ALL IS WELL.
And, for a fair and equitable response to ALL, I think it's FAIR to post the link to the original auction.
Not that the world is fair.. dang it...

Yes Ellie_Mae, the world is unfair, and since it is unfair, I won't be posting the link for privacy reasons.

HOWEVER... since I'm a nice guy, I will upload the pics, description and questions...

BW6csLg2kKGrHgoH-CsEjlLlvGm7BKZo3sZ.jpg

BW6c0wWkKGrHgoH-DoEjlLlw14UBKZo4SEF.jpg

BW6c8cwWkKGrHqUH-DEpk1eu122BKZo5bc4.jpg

Note the wear in the lining NOT listed in the description...

VERY NICE VINTAGE, GUCCI ENVELOPE STYLE UNISEX LARGE CLUTCH. FEATURES A ZIPPERED BACK POCKET. SERIAL # 017 115 0006. THERE'S NO WEAR TO THE OUTER SURFACE AND BORDER PIPING. INSIDE IS PRETTY CLEAN. VERY GOOD CONDITION. FLAT MEASUREMENTS ARE: 16 INCH WIDE X 11 INCH HEIGHT. PAYPAL AND OVERSEAS PAYMENT IN US DOLLARS ACCEPTED. I CURRENTLY, DON'T SHIP TO APO/FPO ADRESS. SHIPPING IN USA IS $6.50. OVERSEAS PLEASE E-MAIL FOR SHIPPING QUOTE. good luck bidding!!!

QUESTIONS

Q: Hi, How much is shipping for Canada Thank you. Jul-28-09
A: around $20-$22.50 registered mail. thanks.
Q: Hi, I was wondering if you could email pics of the piping on the side and bottom of the bag. Thank you Jul-25-09
A: the whole piping has absolutely, no wear. thanks.
Q: Hello, can you email me phots of the bottom corners? Thank you! Jul-25-09
A: the whole piping has absolutely, no wear. thanks.

And then she posted a pic of the best corner AFTER two requests...

BNYdwCGkKGrHgoOKi4EjlLmWWnBKbKH2ROF.jpg

note that the corners are MUCH worse IRL