Should I always include insurance and tracking?

Pinkpuff09

Sep 15, 2009
I don't sell that often on ebay, but when I do, I don't sell expensive things (usually just things I want to get rid of, under $100). I used to not include tracking at all when I sent items, but because of how ebay has been lately (after reading some pretty scary threads on tpf) I realized that I should think twice about that. What exactly should I include when I'm sending a relatively cheap item?

I will use a method with tracking for anything over an amount I wouldn't like to lose , if it's stuff under about £20 I won't bother.:biggrin:

If you want to start using something I would just go with tracking for low ticket items, then at least you can see that it's been delivered .

Last edited:
I always use delivery confirmation. It's cheap and then you have tracking in case the buyer files an INR. I personally wouldn't insure for that amount, but that's up to you.

I insure items over $25 and I let the buyers know that insurance is included in the shipping cost. I know it's only $25 but I don't want to loose the money and the item because it didn't make it.
And when you print the shipping label on ebay the tracking number is free for priority mail. I have a tracking number for everything I ship

I normally ship using eBay shipping because it automatically loads everything, which makes it easy with only a few clicks left to purchase and print the label.

I insure regular items that have a purchase price over $50. Designer items (new and/or pre-owned) are always insured up to their full retail value and sent with a signature confirmation by priority and/or express mail.

I will send regular items by first class or parcel post to save shipping costs for the buyer. A delivery confirmation/tracking number can be added to parcel post and first class also.

I would always track using delivery confirmation but would only insure if it's over $100. Buyer's know that if you can't prove it's delivered they can get their money back, the one and only time I didn't put a DC on there the person claimed they didn't get it. It was only a book so it's no big deal but the principal of the thing bothered me, I felt like I'd been ripped off. So now even if it's only $5 I still use tracking.

Linda

I would always track using delivery confirmation but would only insure if it's over $100. Buyer's know that if you can't prove it's delivered they can get their money back, the one and only time I didn't put a DC on there the person claimed they didn't get it. It was only a book so it's no big deal but the principal of the thing bothered me, I felt like I'd been ripped off. So now even if it's only $5 I still use tracking.

Linda

me too. I prefer not to take the risk and I like to know my stuff is delivered.

I always use tracking for eBay or Bonanzle items. I generally insure them for anything over $50. I know too many people that have been "hurt" by not putting insurance or tracking on items they sold.

i put tracking on everything, and signature confirmation if its pricy but i have never used insurance..the most expensive thing i've shipped to date was a moncler jacket i brought retail 1kish.. and it got to its destination a-okay.

i also ship priority for everything domestic and EMS for everything worldwide.

a few extra bucks is worth the peace of mind but for some reason i never found the need to (*knock on woods*) use insurance :shame:

I use tracking and delivery confirmation for all items I sell, but only signature and insurance for $200+ items. You could give the buyer the option to add insurance for lower-end items though. I find signature for non-designer items kind of a nuisance because I work during the day which is when the postman comes so I always have to go down to the Post Office separately to pick the item up.

Last edited:
I normally ship using eBay shipping because it automatically loads everything, which makes it easy with only a few clicks left to purchase and print the label.

I insure regular items that have a purchase price over $50. Designer items (new and/or pre-owned) are always insured up to their full retail value and sent with a signature confirmation by priority and/or express mail.

I will send regular items by first class or parcel post to save shipping costs for the buyer. A delivery confirmation/tracking number can be added to parcel post and first class also.

Don't you have to pay extra if you use ebay shipping though? I know you get free tracking, but is it worth it?