Should I alter an old fur or not???

Eva1991

O.G.
Oct 12, 2011
My mum loves fur coats, she has a lot of them and she wants to hand me down one of hers to alter it (I'm taller than her - she's 5.2 and I'm 5.6 - and more curvier).

I'm thinking about it though... I've tried the coat on and it really looks great on me, plus it's pretty warm. I'm OK with wearing fur as well.

What bothers me though is that I'm pretty young (soon to be 21). Do you think I should start wearing fur at 21 or not? I've seen a lot of celebs in their 20's wearing fur but I wonder if it's too extravagant (since I'm not a celeb) LOL. There are occasions in my life though that I could wear a fur coat, like when we get invited to receptions, going to the Opera and other "fancy" places.

What do you think???

Reactions: Rephined
Without question - YES. Fur was once for older ladies who would typically wear a full length mink. These days furs are worn by girls much younger and furs are often worn as part of a casual outfit - just look at all the faux fur around worn by younger women. Nothing will keep you as warm and nothing, for me, is nicer than a fur.

I would suggest getting them re-designed so that they are more in line with your lifestyle. If you want to wear a full length mink or fox to the opera then great but, remember, furs work with jeans too!

Good luck.

My mum loves fur coats, she has a lot of them and she wants to hand me down one of hers to alter it (I'm taller than her - she's 5.2 and I'm 5.6 - and more curvier).

I'm thinking about it though... I've tried the coat on and it really looks great on me, plus it's pretty warm. I'm OK with wearing fur as well.

What bothers me though is that I'm pretty young (soon to be 21). Do you think I should start wearing fur at 21 or not? I've seen a lot of celebs in their 20's wearing fur but I wonder if it's too extravagant (since I'm not a celeb) LOL. There are occasions in my life though that I could wear a fur coat, like when we get invited to receptions, going to the Opera and other "fancy" places.

What do you think???
I don't think 21 is too young at all. Im older, 26, and I wear fur with dressy or casual outfits. It looks great with a black jumper & belt, or with jeans & boots! Enjoy that fur!

Without question - YES. Fur was once for older ladies who would typically wear a full length mink. These days furs are worn by girls much younger and furs are often worn as part of a casual outfit - just look at all the faux fur around worn by younger women. Nothing will keep you as warm and nothing, for me, is nicer than a fur.

I would suggest getting them re-designed so that they are more in line with your lifestyle. If you want to wear a full length mink or fox to the opera then great but, remember, furs work with jeans too!

Good luck.

Oh! Thank you for encouraging me! I think encouragement was all I wanted!!!!!!:biggrin:

I'll definately get it redisigned (I'm in touch with a great tailor specialized in furs - he said he can do anything I ask!). I'm thinking of having it shortened at the knee.

Altering a fur is very expensive. I did this with my mother's coat many years ago . I would leave it alone if it fits you. You may not want to spend $1500-2000 to alter it.

I don't think 21 is too young at all. Im older, 26, and I wear fur with dressy or casual outfits. It looks great with a black jumper & belt, or with jeans & boots! Enjoy that fur!

Thak you too GenieBottle26! I'd love to wear it with jeans and a casual outfit too, but I don't think I can pull it off (self confidence crisis - lol)!

Good for you and I am in agreement with everyone - enjoy the fur :cool: and, re-styling it can add years to it :graucho:

What do you think???

Altering a fur is very expensive. I did this with my mother's coat many years ago . I would leave it alone if it fits you. You may not want to spend $1500-2000 to alter it.

It doesn't fit me perfectly! The sleeves are a bit short and it's a bit tight on the back, since I'm taller than my mum.

My fur-tailor didn't tell me the cost yet. He wants to see the coat first and ask me what changes I'd like him to make. I hope it won't cost that much!

If it does then it might be worth selling it and simply buying a new one. You can pick up a decent mink coat for a few grand thesedays. Obviously top end mink costs more.

Eva1991 said:
It doesn't fit me perfectly! The sleeves are a bit short and it's a bit tight on the back, since I'm taller than my mum.

My fur-tailor didn't tell me the cost yet. He wants to see the coat first and ask me what changes I'd like him to make. I hope it won't cost that much!

My mom has a few and lusted for me to take her very heavy, long Raccoon coat. I refused and it bothered her so in the end she ended up trading it in and getting me a sheared beaver jacket which I love. Some times a trade-in makes more sense if the coat is in very good condition!

I don't know if he could lengthen the sleeves, but you could treat them as bracelet length and leave them alone. I think all of this depends upon whether the skins are still supple and not dried out. It will be interesting to discover the alteration cost. I know that I spent 1200 doing it and that was a million years ago. The concept of a trade in is something to consider. Fur prices have come down quite a bit so you really have to think about the options.

Thak you too GenieBottle26! I'd love to wear it with jeans and a casual outfit too, but I don't think I can pull it off (self confidence crisis - lol)!

Eva, ANYONE can pull it off!

I wear my furs with faded ripped 10 year old jeans and boots - and I'm fifty!

(Jeez, that was a wake up call - FIFTY!!!) :biggrin:

I would definitely do it, my mom and I have several furs from my grandmother that we want to have remade for us but we can't pull the trigger.

but I'm not sure how you alter things if you need them larger? is that even possible?