Should ebay seller be responsible for manufacturer defects?

PeachesMangos

Jun 6, 2012
I recently purchased my first online and first preowned item: a cherry blossom pochette from a reputable Japanese Ebay consignment store. The bag unfortunately had an obvious (to me) printing defect. The cherry blossoms silk screen was slightly smeared during printing, which caused the eyes and lines on the flowers to shift to the left. The bag was authenticated on this forum, so the problem appears to be a factory flaw and not a fake.

My seller did not notice this (Probably because TPF members examine every thread and every inch of their bags obsessively) and claims there are no problems during their inspection. They will not accept a return. Should I escalate this case and hold the seller responsible for not disclosing all the flaws of this bag even though it's originally LV's fault? Is it my fault for not asking for photos of every detail, even though I would have never anticipated such a flaw?

Ethically, if you are a reseller of a defective item that may be unnoticeable to another person, will you point it out? I'm lost about what to do with this case. I'm unsatisfied with the quality of this purchase but don't want to be unreasonable toward the seller. This has turned me off of buying online again. I need to scrutinize my bags in store. =(

Edit for photos: Thanks to those who replied so far.
Here's the bad print on the front
Wd9JdQI.jpg

Here's the perfect print on the back, same pattern for comparison
9gwKYPB.jpg

Last edited:
I recently purchased my first online and first preowned item: a cherry blossom pochette from a reputable Japanese Ebay consignment store. The bag unfortunately had an obvious (to me) printing defect. The cherry blossoms silk screen was slightly smeared during printing, which caused the eyes and lines on the flowers to shift to the left. The bag was authenticated on this forum, so the problem appears to be a factory flaw and not a fake.

My seller did not notice this (Probably because TPF members examine every thread and every inch of their bags obsessively) and claims there are no problems during their inspection. They will not accept a return. Should I escalate this case and hold the seller responsible for not disclosing all the flaws of this bag even though it's originally LV's fault? Is it my fault for not asking for photos of every detail, even though I would have never anticipated such a flaw?

Ethically, if you are a reseller of a defective item that may be unnoticeable to another person, will you point it out? I'm lost about what to do with this case. I'm unsatisfied with the quality of this purchase but don't want to be unreasonable toward the seller. This has turned me off of buying online again. I need to scrutinize my bags in store. =(

In a word, NO. I'm sorry but I looked at your issue and pics and I almost can't believe you're this upset... there is no defect or flaw, nothing wrong with the bag. Please do not give your seller a hard time or try to escalate some case. I would be scared to ever sell something to you. :sad: I just simply think pre-loved isn't for you, if you're going to be that obsessive about a decade-old pochette. I've seen these where the eyes are very different on the flowers from ovals to paint strokes to almost looking winky, and it's all part of the process and perfectly NORMAL. Even new LV from the boutique you can't find perfection 99% of the time.

When these prints are laid down they can't be aligned with such precision that none of the graphics are a mm off on any side of the canvas. Here is an authentic one, where it was slightly off not causing 'smearing' as you claim yours has but in fact you can actually see the pink coloring outside the border line. This would have driven you crazy I bet yes?.. and actually I haven't ever seen one that I feel would have met your perfection criteria... they all look great to me :smile: but if you're not happy, I say resell it yourself showing all photos, or just enjoy it and move on. :smile: Good luck.

Attachments

• poch1.jpg
    poch1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 508
  • poch2.jpg
    poch2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:

Hi! I don't see anything wrong with the bag or maybe I am missing something? I saw your pics in the authentication thread and unless you are looking really close, you can't tell anything is wrong..I would keep it and enjoy it, it looks cute and I don't think anyone is going to mention anything about the eyes on the bag ...

Exactly how close do you have to be to the bag to notice the flaws you are describing?

If it's a big reseller then chances are they have seen the same "flaw" on other items and, therefore, don't class it as a flaw.

It does sound like an over-reaction.

I see it easily with those close photos. Along the edges where it is doubled. That said it is a rare and awesome item and gorgeous! I think I would still love it as unique and I would think that since its authentic you would have no trouble selling it if you think you won't love it.
I think the faces in the top pic are even cuter somehow, but that may just be me. As for manufacturer defect, I don't think I would hold the seller responsible...but I don't know how common the defect is so I don't know if its truly a flaw. Good luck!

I'm sorry but I don't see anything wrong either.

I don't think you should escalate it, because you are buying a piece that is a decade old. Just take it as a lesson learned (pre-loved isn't something you like risking) and enjoy the piece--or just resell it. I don't think you would even have to point out a flaw when reselling it, because there isn't anything there that's TOO obvious.

I'm very OCD about my stuff, which is why it's really rare that I buy pre-loved. I only buy SLGs pre-owned sometimes, only because those things are going to get a lot of wear and tear anyway.

In a word, NO. I'm sorry but I looked at your issue and pics and I almost can't believe you're this upset... there is no defect or flaw, nothing wrong with the bag. Please do not give your seller a hard time or try to escalate some case. I would be scared to ever sell something to you. :sad: I just simply think pre-loved isn't for you, if you're going to be that obsessive about a decade-old pochette. I've seen these where the eyes are very different on the flowers from ovals to paint strokes to almost looking winky, and it's all part of the process and perfectly NORMAL. Even new LV from the boutique you can't find perfection 99% of the time.

but if you're not happy, I say resell it yourself showing all photos, or just enjoy it and move on. :smile: Good luck.
ITA. Even the question, "should a seller be responsible for manufacturer defect" is a bit :cray: The seller didn't make the bag! Not sure if the OP will return, but hopefully she will resell and not attempt to file a claim. This is one of the reasons people are so afraid to sell on eBay. :rain:

I can't see anything wrong with this TBH :-s
I think buying resale isn't right for everyone though. If you NEED complete perfection, you'll be disappointed a lot IMO.

I can't see it and don't think it warrants an open case, but that's me. If I want perfection, I buy directly from LV so that I can return or exchange, if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using PurseForum

Did you already file a case for this?

SNAD claims are intended for items that are significantly not as described. I can't see any difference between the first two images, but even if there were a slight difference, it's something that you'd likely find on all of the pieces.

OP here. I did not file the case. I will probably keep the bag if it's that unnoticiable.

But aside from my case, if you bought a bag that had a manufacturing flaw ( a loose thread, a misaligned patch, crooked pattern)--even if it only affects the asthetics of the bag but not the function--would you mention it to your buyers? or leave it up to them to judge