Should Chanel Be More Restrictive?

Hermes is Hermes- it occupies a space all it's own. Chanel sits inbetween LV and Hermes- almost as well known as Vuitton, but uses more leather and costs more like Hermes, although obviously not to such extremes.

With reading this thread, WHY do you have to have a relationship with a hermes SA to get a bag??? And WHY are they snooty and judgemental on customers that come in?

Sorry, but I NEVER knew this...

Did you hear what happened to Oprah in Paris when she visited a Hermes Store? Hermes apologised for her treatment once she rang the Head of Hermes in America.......... but I am shocked that such a high calibre brand hired staff with such poor customer service skills.

Rude staff do much to ruin brand loyalty, it has certainly deterred me from ever buying Hermes.

tweetie said:
ITA with what's being said... I think Chanel is exclusive enough since it's not sold online and the price point is much higher than most brands - i.e. a lot higher than LV, etc...

Even though a Birkin is my dream bag, it's really pissing me off when I asked in the H forum about whether I needed to have a "relationship" when an SA to get on a waitlist for a Birkin, and almost everyone said yes! It's a pain since I live 3 hours from the nearest H store, and it's not even a full boutique.

It irritates me that H looks down on people who buy from resellers, but are snobby enough to want you to buy things at their store just to have your name put on a waitlist for a bag that you may still not get anytime soon.

Sigh... just my 2 cents!
I buy my birkins at a reseller store in Japan & I've told my friend who is a Hermes SA about my purchases. She didn't say much but I can see she's quite disappointed with me. To add more flame, I turned down a croc birkin which I waitlisted & received (which she recommended to me to waitlist for one in that color because she said it is beautiful) but after seeing it IRL, the color is not attractive to me at all. But hey, who cares? Resellers stores in Japan have more selection of Hermes bags than Hermes store itself. Though the markup price is high, but I could get hard-to-get birkins easily instead of waiting for months. I'm still friends with her and other Hermes SAs. She told me it's normal for Hermes customers buy their birkin from other resellers. But being Hermes SA, they never encouraged & will only mention that the only way to get birkin/kelly is at the Hermes store itself.:supacool:

On that note, I still continue shopping at Hermes because it carries the latest scarves & I want to continue to be part of Hermes sub-culture. I still want to attend Hermes events (being photographed in magazines, haha) & meet other Hermes ardent collectors. I'm still waiting for my birkins. :flowers:

To be in win-win situation, I still continue waitlisting for my birkins at Hermes & at the same time, purchase birkin/kelly at resellers stores in Japan provided that it is something that only few people may own one & I love it to death that if I don't buy, I'll regret it later when I go back to HK. :supacool:

Back-to-topic: Please, Chanel is fine as it is. It is quite exclusive already. :yes:

chanelbaby: Not all Hermes staff are very rude & look down at other customers who carry other brands. I don't always carry my birkin whenever I visit Hermes. About the Oprah thing, what I know is Hermes store was closed at that time because they were preparing for a Hermes event later that night. Though there were shoppers inside, they came in earlier before the store was meant to be closed & were asked kindly to quickly make their purchases. BTW, Oprah is not that famous in Paris.:angel:

chanelbaby: Not all Hermes staff are very rude & look down at other customers who carry other brands. I don't always carry my birkin whenever I visit Hermes. About the Oprah thing, what I know is Hermes store was closed at that time because they were preparing for a Hermes event later that night. Though there were shoppers inside, they came in earlier before the store was meant to be closed & were asked kindly to quickly make their purchases. BTW, Oprah is not that famous in Paris.:angel:[/quote]

I know not all Hermes staff are rude, my point is rude staff do not encourage brand loyalty.

It does not matter if Oprah is well known in Paris or not. Oprah on her show acknowledged that the shop was about to close but it was how she was spoken to that upset her. I think we can all identify with her on this point.

At the end of the day shopping after all is meant to be fun and lighthearted.

Rude SAs should be reported because not only do they lose business but also poor ambassadors for their company.

chanelbaby: Not all Hermes staff are very rude & look down at other customers who carry other brands. I don't always carry my birkin whenever I visit Hermes. About the Oprah thing, what I know is Hermes store was closed at that time because they were preparing for a Hermes event later that night. Though there were shoppers inside, they came in earlier before the store was meant to be closed & were asked kindly to quickly make their purchases. BTW, Oprah is not that famous in Paris.:angel:[/quote]

I think your first two sentences in your reply to me refers to a post made by shouldereyecandy. My earlier response to you relates to my first post.

chanelbaby said:
I know not all Hermes staff are rude, my point is rude staff do not encourage brand loyalty.

That applies to all brands though...including Chanel. I have met so many rude SA's in Chanel, its unbelievable.

Anyway, as for the original question, I think Chanel is already exclusive enough.

chanelbaby said:
Did you hear what happened to Oprah in Paris when she visited a Hermes Store? Hermes apologised for her treatment once she rang the Head of Hermes in America.......... but I am shocked that such a high calibre brand hired staff with such poor customer service skills.

Oprah showed up after hours while they were trying to set up for a private event- the employees on hand did not have the authority to allow her access. It's not poor customer service- she was just angry that she didn't receive the star treatment she felt entitled to. For her to claim racism and make Hermes look like the party at fault is completely unacceptable.

I do think Chanel is quite restrictive already. No online purchases like Eluxury, etc. They don't advertise the prices on the chanel.com website either, so that in itself makes it tougher to do research on bags before going in to try them on.

Chanel is already restrictive enough and about making it more so, in my opinion that would deteriorate the customer service as well because sales assistants become more arrogant.

Relating this to Hermes stuff, how about rude sales assistants instigated by company's disrespectful attitude towards customers in the first place. I've just been told last week that I need to spend $12,500 equivalent with them first to get on the Birkin list in Bangkok (see this for the complete story). Now Hermes to me is stuck up/disrespectful and I hope Chanel is going this way.

hey y'all!

Let's talk about CHANEL in here please. If y'all want to debate Hermes customer service or Oprah, this isn't the right thread ;)
K?

movin' on!