Shorts with Tights --- yay or nay?

chambersb

Jan 14, 2014
I've always been intrigued with this look. However I feel slightly out of sorts when I wear it.

Is it only appropriate for those under a certain age? Or is it just a no-no?

I wear cashmere tights with hotpants - on rare occasions- but I do. I think it depends on the climate you live in. Londoners wear that a lot. I ll do a blog post and post some photos when it gets cold enough for that look...:smile:

Nay! just not a fan of the overall look...I'm in Boston, and I've only seen this rarely, and on teenagers or people in the early 20's. It's tricky to pull off, so I'll stay away :smile:

NAY!!!

When I was in college, I wore wool short shorts and black tights with boots - and some creepy guy walked up to me and said, "I just had to check out your legs up close."

That was enough to prove to me that this look is actually WORSE than wearing the shorts alone...

And the running shorts with tights/ leggings? I cringe every time I pass a college campus in winter. C'mon people.

Maybe it's the Californian in me, but I equate shorts with weather warm enough to wear bare legs. If one needs tights, why not wear a skirt or dress? It seems to be more acceptable in Europe, and I've seen a few women wear them in Chicago, but I'm not a fan of the look at all for any age.

Yay! I really like shorts with tights. It depends on the shorts though. Shorts that look obviously summery look out of place with tights. If shorts are too short or too tight it can look strange too. I agree it's more common in Europe than in America. I generally see it on younger girls, but I think it can be worn in a way fitting a more mature style as well.

It's really common here...I thought I would try it out but I thought it looked silly/cheap so went for bare tights instead !!! I'm young enough to pull it off but I think you have to have a more grungy style which I don't have. I was inspired by some blog posts but alas could pull it off ;)

Interesting observations here. Guess it all boils down to personal styles and preferences.

I have a pair of gray and blue wool shorts I wear occasionally with dark gray tights and black short Frye boots. My look is generally eclectic bordering on the grunge side anyway. Bare legs are out of the question. My legs are very unattractive and I never even wear skirts above shin length without hosiery.

I may post a pic when I get ensemble out of storage.