shortening straps.... good or bad idea?

1. Hi! We are running a fun little TPF community giveaway to win a new Polene bag! Head over to this thread to enter. Good luck!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hello. has anyone ever shortened the straps on a chloe bag? I have the saskia shoulder bag and I find the straps are a little longer then I would like them to be? I was considering taking it to a really good leather guy and seeing if they can shorten them a bit. But not sure if thats a really bad idea. Like will it totally decrease its value or something?
    Any thoughts?

2. I've never thought of doing it, but I probably wouldn't personally. Just in case the repair wasn't 100% perfect and weakened the strap somehow.

I'm sure you'd be able to find somewhere that would provide a years guarantee of the work they've done or something similar though, then I might consider it. As the straps are leather, they might actually stretch a little the more you use the bag, so you'd need to consider that with how much you shorten the straps.

3. I considered buying a really gorgeous chloe bag that only had the one messenger strap - and I don't like wearing things messenger style, if I had won this bag I had been planning on having the strap shortened... this wouldn't have been taken lightly, but I liked the bag enough to consider a serious surgical alteration - and think it would have been feasible, however, this is not something that can be undone and would probably impact the resale value of the bag if you ever decided to part with it later... but I understand where you are coming from in wanting to do this, and would have considered doing it myself using a reputable cobbler. If you do undertake doing this please take before and after pics - it would be very interesting to see how it turns out.