Shopping your own wardrobe and/or really sticking to a budget?

Thank you ladies for your support and insight! Yes I have become very selective also because I work in the fashion industry, so I do look at clothes and fabrics a lot. When I (did) shop, I always want the best value. I never paid full price for any Helmut Lang. I found great deals at Nordstrom Rack and TJ Maxx. I'm also an eBay person. Cost per wear is also pretty important to me!

I made a list of things that I want/need for the Spring. I want a lot of white pieces (tees, tanks, button down shirt). But I will be using most of my existing Spring/Summer wardrobe like how I did this winter. I can't wait to go through my Spring clothes (they are put away in space bags). When you forget what you have, it's like finding something new again!

How is the Stylebook app working out for everyone so far? I can't imagine having to photograph all of my clothes!

I like that you put so so much thought into how you spend your money. It think the way people shop tells a lot about who they are. You don't waste your money, so you don't waste your efforts. :smile:
The app helps a lot figuring out the cost per wear and I must admit I haven't thought about that enough in the past. Yes, taking pictures is a pain, but you start with the items you wear a lot and there are a lot of good pictures online. Sometimes, if it's just a basic white T or black leggings, I don't even take a picture of my own, but download one from the net that looks similar. After all, the app is just for my own pleasure and information. So far I've only taken fotos of most of my winter clothes, I'll have to start again for spring and summer. After a while you become quite good with it and if you watch the tutorials it's pretty easy. And considering how much time I've saved not standing in front of my wardrobe in the morning by just choosing one of the looks I've created or worn before, it is not as time consuming as I thought it would be.

I am currently working in a very small town. So no shopping for me. I am a big online shopper so it's cut down on my spending considerably! Really cute outfits, Marylin!

Thanks surfchick! I'm still trying it integrate more color into my outfits, but it's so cold here and constantly snowing, there's not much incentive for taking out the spring wardrobe. When you shop online what are your favorite stores?

$600 is a bit of a stretch goal for me, but I do live in the States and have access to lots of inexpensive clothes. My "trick", if you will, is knowing what clothing I can buy from cheaper stores and where I like to spend more. $20 jeans serve me really well but I won't buy any sweaters that aren't cashmere or merino because I wind up not liking them much.

As for being happy with my wardrobe, I think that cleaning it out helped a lot because now when I look in my closet I only see things that I know I like wearing and that are in good condition.

$600 is a bit of a stretch goal for me, but I do live in the States and have access to lots of inexpensive clothes. My "trick", if you will, is knowing what clothing I can buy from cheaper stores and where I like to spend more. $20 jeans serve me really well but I won't buy any sweaters that aren't cashmere or merino because I wind up not liking them much.

As for being happy with my wardrobe, I think that cleaning it out helped a lot because now when I look in my closet I only see things that I know I like wearing and that are in good condition.

Yeah, cleaning out the wardrobe does feel good, well, the end result does. I don't like the actual cleaning part, because it feels like I'm throwing away money. And I need to pick a good day, because sometimes I just don't like myself in anything. :nogood:
Still admire you for your strict 600$-rule. Let us know how it works, will you?

I have loved reading your posts everyone! I don't think I could go all in but I want to be more disciplined about my purchases. I wanted to invest in some colored jeans for spring, I don't do dresses a lot, my legs are horrible! I didn't realize I had such bad varicose veins and I'm having surgery later this year.... Hopefully that will make me feel better about wearing dresses.

May I ask what this style book app is? I think I need it....

Hi, it's just called stylebook and it's not that expensive. Mimmy and bakeacookie in this forum are using it and it was actually Mimmy who's thread I liked so much I wanted to get it. I'm sure there are lots of other apps out there and stylebook has a few flaws, but it serves my purpose, so I'm quite happy with it. Good luck!

Thanks surfchick! I'm still trying it integrate more color into my outfits, but it's so cold here and constantly snowing, there's not much incentive for taking out the spring wardrobe. When you shop online what are your favorite stores?

I don't like to buy online unless it's on sale. There was a Carven dress I've been eyeing for months. Finally found it on Avenue32 for something like 60% off! I usually stick with the large stores like Saks, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales,etc.. They usually have a good return policy.

Hi, it's just called stylebook and it's not that expensive. Mimmy and bakeacookie in this forum are using it and it was actually Mimmy who's thread I liked so much I wanted to get it. I'm sure there are lots of other apps out there and stylebook has a few flaws, but it serves my purpose, so I'm quite happy with it. Good luck!

Thanks marylin, will look for it. Thank you! I like how you guys create outfits

Thanks MASEML!

Here is what I'm wearing to work today. I know, the jacket is not really any color, but at least it's not black... I haven't bought anything in 2015 so far! That might change next week, when I have a few days off...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 558
Reactions: Gaby Torres
Thanks MASEML!

Here is what I'm wearing to work today. I know, the jacket is not really any color, but at least it's not black... I haven't bought anything in 2015 so far! That might change next week, when I have a few days off...

Great outfit! Cute jacket! May I ask what designer? I really think I need it in my wardrobe. I love love love jackets!