Shopping Where You Live.........

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Do you get disgusted by the local shopping where you live? OK, I realize its not a problem in the big cities, but after I ventured out in my city yesterday I see why I have become an online shopper and an eBay shopper...otherwise, I dont go shopping unless I am in Atlanta.......

Its horrible here in Central Alabama! I know some are laughing, thinking, "well, you ARE in Alabama"!!

The height of the shopping experience here is Dillards....Big WHOOP....I went to get a bottle of Estee Lauder Private Collection in Tuberose and Gardenia.......didnt have it - "supposed to get it in, SOMEtime".....

Decided to look at bags while I was in there.......Again, the BEST they have is Coach - worthy of the glass cases - yeah, right.....

Thought, ok, the Belk here USED to be a Parisian - lets see if they have the perfume - NO. Their best bag? Brighton........and it was the ONLY leather one there......

I know the economy sucks. but it is a shame that the capital city has shopping so bad.......

My company works with the one of the biggest retail developers in the southeast, their base is here, and we cant even get a Sephora. JJill or a decent leather store...I'd kill for a Macys! Something.......

I order 90% of my clothes online, 100% of perfumes and all my bags...........
    It is just so frustrating at times....
    What about where you are?

2. I know exactly how you feel. I'm in the capital of Florida!! We have 1 real mall, with Dillard's, Macy's, as main stores, along with Sears and JC Penny. We do have a Coach store : ) we just got the sephora store, and pandora jewelry store.

I would love to see an Apple store, LV, Gucci, Tiffany & Co, Kenneth Cole.... Something....lol

I like going to Orlando to shop, or even Jacksonville. Not much here : (

3. Parisian was so good.....owned by the Saks group.......the Birmingham development where Parisian was sued Belk because the store at The Summit "was not of the quality of the development', so they set it up like the one they have in Charlotte, that is a higher quality store. There is a Saks up there too, but it is not a big one....but at least they have alot of the smaller boutiques.....there is Apple, Sephora, Anthro, JJill, Soma...that type.....

4. Our town's highlight is a Younkers. Hubby and I have to travel a few hours for large cities, nicer stores, and a decent retail experience. I wish I could shop locally, but I can't.

5. I always say that a community gets the businesses and retailers it is willing to support.. Everyone in my area either buys macy's with a coupon, tjmaxx, or similar.. We have a Nordstrom that i know is not one of their top stores... The nordstroms in other cities offer so much more.. But they get a lot of towners who I guess support it.. But that's really it as far as "luxury" and we have some specialty boutiques scattered across the state.

We recently got a Nordstrom rack.. We will never see a saks or a neimans.. Most People here just won't pay those prices

6. I live in California's valley, and the shopping here is the worst. The mall is depressing.

I have to drive 3+ hours to even consider buying clothing at a retail store.

7. Try living in Wyoming! We are the least populated state in the nation, which means we get nothing. Our mall has Herberger's and JC Penney as it's department stores and that's it. Heck we only got a Starbucks less than five years ago. Salt Lake City is two and a half hours away (I just went yesterday to do some shopping) and Denver is five hours away.

8. There's almost nowhere to shop where I live, either.

9. My best local stores are in a Mall that contains TKMAXX for designer bargains and an upmarket department store for designer clothes and I recently bought a nice pen there.

For the best shopping I always go to Central London, which is more expensive but worth it for the amazing choice!!

I also find things online, so my shopping is a mix, but with a basic list of what I want/need/can't resist!!

10. Dang, and I thought Michigan was bad. But I am moving back here from the east coast, so I'm spoiled.

11. I'm actually pretty lucky--I live in AZ and we have lots of options. However, I still do the vast majority of my shopping online (even though I can walk to our nicest mall!). I just am not a fan of stores--crowds, dressing rooms, strollers etc. I'd rather have a glass of wine, sit on the couch and shop from there!

12. The San Joaquin Valley? I feel your pain. That's where I grew up.

13. I just moved here. It's...sad... LOL

14. Well let me just tell you - I thought shopping there was bad. Then I moved to Wyoming. :biggrin:

15. OK...maybe I shouldn't complain, because I live less than a mile from Rodeo drive and obviously there are some amazing stores but I prefer to shop during sale season and it's depressing because all the sale selection is usually picked over really quickly. Unless you have a good relationship with an SA, it's difficult to get a good deal on popular brands. On markdown days there are mobs of people fighting for selection - this year I didn't even try to go because I was pregnant and didn't want to get injured during the sale. How crazy is that? I actually end up making phone orders from other locations instead of going to BH.

The discount stores are terrible too - I've been to the NR and TJMaxx several times and I've never seen any of these designer scores that other girls seem to get at their locations. Even if I do run across something, like Vince or Catherine Malandrino, it's never marked down as low as what I've seen reported here. I think because these stores are located in a city, everything gets picked up really quick. I have better luck shopping online!