Travel Shopping/shipping questions

jennyx0

May 9, 2010
This is probably dumb but I'm wondering when I go to New York, would it be okay to ship all my new purchases back to my place in Seattle? I read that most airlines will let you bring a carryon and a purse...so I was planning on stuffing my small suitcase and purse with my stuff, then ship back everything I buy in New York (because I plan on doing some damage over there :P). I think it was in the Paris thread that I read you can only ship back $200....and I am definitely going over that amount.

The reason I don't want to buy an extra suitcase and have it checked is because I don't want to take a chance on losing my things (by my luggage getting lost or items stolen). My friend that is going with me wants to do the same!

Yup, I've done that. I bought a bag at the YSL boutique in Vegas and had it shipped too. The best part is if you buy from a store that doesn't do business in WA then you don't have to pay tax. But be sure to ask if it'll need a signature. I don't know how long you're gone for so just make sure someone's there to sign for it.

I'm only staying for 5 days as it's an eat and shop trip :greengrin: but do you mean I don't pay taxes if I get it shipped from the store? I wanted to buy some things and actually have it with me, and then ship it back home by UPS or Fed Ex...

I knew that items under $110 were tax free but I didn't know about stores didn't do business in WA! I'm even more excited now.

Oh, if you're taking it with you then you'll have to pay tax on it. They'll only waive the taxes if you have it shipped directly from the store. Sorry, I guess I misread your post.