Shopping in Toronto / Canada - costly?

Schrodinger

is in a sealed box.
O.G.
Jul 18, 2011
Hello,

I will be traveling up to Toronto soon and will be doing some Christmas shopping while there, would you recommend me to shop at Louis Vuitton / Hermès / Burberry while there - is it much more expensive to shop luxury brands there? Does any locals know the price comparison to the states? What other possible charges should I be aware of?

My overall question would be: Is it more expensive to shop in Toronto than in the states? Please let me know your shopping experiences there! I haven't been there in a while!

Many thanks! (:

Hello,

I will be traveling up to Toronto soon and will be doing some Christmas shopping while there, would you recommend me to shop at Louis Vuitton / Hermès / Burberry while there - is it much more expensive to shop luxury brands there? Does any locals know the price comparison to the states? What other possible charges should I be aware of?

My overall question would be: Is it more expensive to shop in Toronto than in the states? Please let me know your shopping experiences there! I haven't been there in a while!

Many thanks! (:

Hi there,
I live in Toronto and I know so it is more expensive, they never have stocks, they are always out of items, they never go on sale and I find states to be much more reasonable. As for Hermes I've only bought one bag from here but of course u pay 13% in taxes. Holts might have some deal but they don't carry many major brands. Louis Vuitton should be the same price I think as anywhere.
I wud suggest you call the stores and ask the prices of items u are looking for and then compare them. Hope that helps. Good luck shopping! :smile:

^ What she said. Don't forget the 13% tax!

However, I still think there are some Canadian retailers to check out - unless you're in NY or on the West Coast. Do check out Aritzia; but skip the jeans - you'll get 'em cheaper online or in the US.

Joe Fresh is really cheap - but has some decent pieces for cheap prices. The Bay also seems to have stepped up their game recently - select locations carry Topshop/TOPMAN, and surprisingly, they didn't raise prices up too, too much with the whole overseas importing excuses. I also saw The Bay has been carrying Dorothy Perkins stuff, completely to my surprise this afternoon while I was supposed to be looking for gifts... for other people.

I will say though, if you're looking to score at Club Monaco - our Club Monaco sales and clearance sections seem 10x better than any of the ones I went into NY, Chicago or San Francisco.

Hit up Shoppers Drug Mart for your Annabelle/Marcelle, Lise Watier, & GOSH makeup fixes. QUO also has some decent stuff - especially the new Orly/QUO nail varnishes. Joe Fresh also has some decent makeup.

Honestly? If you're looking to buy a bag - unless they're mega on sale, or we have a flagship boutique, skip. Holts selection - generally - is pretty paltry. But we still have shu counters - so Holts is worth visiting. But if you're looking for shoes or a Contemporary line piece, I'd visit a boutique before I went to Holts or Browns'. The selection at somewhere like David's (maybe still a chain, but a helluva lot smaller a chain!) always seems better, IMHO.7

From what I can see in the LV Canadian Prices thread, a lot of our bags' RRP is cheaper; but when you factor in the tax, it's a toss-up how much of a deal you'd be getting.

I find it depends on how the CAD is doing versus the USD. I don't think it's terribly expensive.

However, as noted, the tax is STEEP but you can recoup it afterward by filing for reimbursement with their government because you're not a resident. Just save your receipts!

^ What she said. Don't forget the 13% tax!

However, I still think there are some Canadian retailers to check out - unless you're in NY or on the West Coast. Do check out Aritzia; but skip the jeans - you'll get 'em cheaper online or in the US.

Joe Fresh is really cheap - but has some decent pieces for cheap prices. The Bay also seems to have stepped up their game recently - select locations carry Topshop/TOPMAN, and surprisingly, they didn't raise prices up too, too much with the whole overseas importing excuses. I also saw The Bay has been carrying Dorothy Perkins stuff, completely to my surprise this afternoon while I was supposed to be looking for gifts... for other people.

I will say though, if you're looking to score at Club Monaco - our Club Monaco sales and clearance sections seem 10x better than any of the ones I went into NY, Chicago or San Francisco.

Hit up Shoppers Drug Mart for your Annabelle/Marcelle, Lise Watier, & GOSH makeup fixes. QUO also has some decent stuff - especially the new Orly/QUO nail varnishes. Joe Fresh also has some decent makeup.

Honestly? If you're looking to buy a bag - unless they're mega on sale, or we have a flagship boutique, skip. Holts selection - generally - is pretty paltry. But we still have shu counters - so Holts is worth visiting. But if you're looking for shoes or a Contemporary line piece, I'd visit a boutique before I went to Holts or Browns'. The selection at somewhere like David's (maybe still a chain, but a helluva lot smaller a chain!) always seems better, IMHO.7

From what I can see in the LV Canadian Prices thread, a lot of our bags' RRP is cheaper; but when you factor in the tax, it's a toss-up how much of a deal you'd be getting.
Joe Fresh is junk - I thought she was looking for high end stuff?

Everything that originally comes form Europe will be cheaper over there and not here.

They still have Shu in Europe, just not in the States anymore and I bet it's cheaper there too.

OP - we have all the high end boutiques - so it isn't necessay to shop at Holts -- LV, Guerlain, Hermes, Prada, Chanel, Gucci, J Crew, Burberry, Cartier, Tiffany... etc. but prices are a bit higher in Canada.

I live just outside Toronto and the best place to go for high end stuff is Bloor Street. All the designer shops are there. But I agree with Cait, look at some of the stores that are Canadian and full of great stuff like Aritzia, Joe Fresh, Roots, Shu Uemura at Holts, Mendicino, Lululemon and The Bay. Also check out the Eaton Centre to find a lot of stores under one roof!
It is a bit more expensive to shop here because of the tax but as a visitor you can get the tax back. We've also got clothing here that seem to be more European in style than American.

Everything that originally comes form Europe will be cheaper over there and not here.

They still have Shu in Europe, just not in the States anymore and I bet it's cheaper there too.

OP - we have all the high end boutiques - so it isn't necessay to shop at Holts -- LV, Guerlain, Hermes, Prada, Chanel, Gucci, J Crew, Burberry, Cartier, Tiffany... etc. but prices are a bit higher in Canada.

I guess 'junk' is up to opinion - it's certainly not high-end but it's no more junky than Forever 21, or H&M.

And dare I say it, but when a city is lacking a Balenciaga, or a Dior, boutique - selection isn't that great. ;)

Just be aware of the 13% sales tax. That will add a good chunk of $$ to your bill, especially if you are buying alot of expensive, designer goods.

Canada in general is not the greatest for shopping(price wise). However, toronto is probably the best shopping you'll get in canada. It's a big city so many companies have their flagship stores here and there's alot of variety. In my opinion though, i wouldn't buy anything designer here because you can get it for cheaper in the states. I do recommend shopping for other things like clothes. Like others have mentioned, check out aritzia, la senza(cheaper version of victorias secret), Roots(for casual wear), Club Monaco and Topshop! There's a brand new topshop in yorkdale mall that's definitely worth checking out.

Joe Fresh isn't junk. They have some really cute pieces and their quality is pretty decent compared to places like forever 21. I have 2 jackets from there that have lasted me a few years without buttons falling off, etc.

I guess 'junk' is up to opinion - it's certainly not high-end but it's no more junky than Forever 21, or H&M.

And dare I say it, but when a city is lacking a Balenciaga, or a Dior, boutique - selection isn't that great. ;)
True... without a free standing Bal Boutique we will never be one of the best shopping cities. :lol:

Just be aware of the 13% sales tax. That will add a good chunk of $$ to your bill, especially if you are buying alot of expensive, designer goods.

Canada in general is not the greatest for shopping(price wise). However, toronto is probably the best shopping you'll get in canada. It's a big city so many companies have their flagship stores here and there's alot of variety. In my opinion though, i wouldn't buy anything designer here because you can get it for cheaper in the states. I do recommend shopping for other things like clothes. Like others have mentioned, check out aritzia, la senza(cheaper version of victorias secret), Roots(for casual wear), Club Monaco and Topshop! There's a brand new topshop in yorkdale mall that's definitely worth checking out.
Is that the one in The Bay? I've never gone upstairs to see it... maybe I should...

Quick note about getting your tax back. My dbf parents are Czech and when they came last year they bought an iphone from the apple store. Now this is no exaggeration, ALL THEY GOT BACK AT THE AIRPORT WAS ABOUT 23 EUROS. They had to fill out a form, get deductions from the full canadian amount they paid in tax, and had to pay the fee to have it converted to euros because they were from europe and that was the only way they could get their money back.

As well, isn't LV cheaper in Canada than in the US? But in general, do not waste your money in Canadian boutiques unless you see something you genuinely feel you need to have. First of all, States is quite a bit cheaper, and secondly, Europe is WAY WAY cheaper.

Check out:
-the Room at The Bay Queen St. - I believe they are at their 2nd reduction now
-yorkville - some boutiques have sales about now just walk around and check it out