Travel Shopping in Houston?

I love the Galleria. I miss it so much. Rice Village is great too. My cousins live within walking distance so we do that as a family.

To eat I love Chuys, El Tiempo for Mexican. Love Le Peep! And for some greasy goodness, I love James Coney Island.

At Rice Epicurean Market this is a chocolate called Miles of Chocolate. It is like a brownie and fudge mixed, but better than I can describe. Pricey, but worth it. Also Central Market (one near Highland Village) is SO much fun to eat at and stroll through.

OOh, OOH! I was trying to remember the place called The Chocolate Bar, which is great for desserts (you know which kind) and coffee. They'll split slices for you, too. Crowded and lively at night: 2521 University.

Rice Village has some nice places for lunch, coffee, pastry...Too bad my daughter graduated last year and I have no excuse to go to Houston!

Last time I looked Mix had closed down.

i think mix re-opened back at the old kirby location? they did close the new colquitt store as the owner was moving. i'm not sure if someone else bought it and moved it back, or she just moved the store back to old space.

i loved how the old space was accessible, but unless you knew it was there, you would NEVER know it was such a high end shop because it looked like a warehouse of dead space from the outside. the new space was gorgeous, but such a b*tch to get to, and it was really weird the way it was in the residential neighborhood. plus, the parking was AWFUL.

did you guys hear they're opening a nordstrom rack in h-town?! :yahoo:

it will be on post oak and is slated to open this fall!

^^^
it said "post oak center." is that the strip with DSW/maggiano's or the one on post oak/san felipe with luby's? is there large available space in either? none of those stores are very big...

EDIT: btw, i'm following luby's on twitter. LOLZ! they tell you when they're having special deals...i love that place!

Mix has a new owner. Evelyn moved to NYC.

Also check out Rococo on W Grey. Contents on 19th has some lower priced, electic stuff.

Try Max's Wine Dive on Washington for brunch, it is great!

canada's: lol!! luby's is awesome! If I'm not mistaken, I think I'm following them too O_o awkward. Following a restaurant lol. Love that place! You know what they haven't had there in a while? Deviled eggs. I miss those :sad:

Mix has a new owner. Evelyn moved to NYC.

Also check out Rococo on W Grey. Contents on 19th has some lower priced, electic stuff.

Try Max's Wine Dive on Washington for brunch, it is great!

I remember seeing an article that the previous owner had shut down to move to NYC.

Does the new owner have the same gorgeous taste? I loved the old Mix.

ETA: I'll check out Rococo and Contents. I've seen them both but haven't been in yet. Thanks for the suggestions!

yes, i know evelyn moved to NYC (just didn't want to put her business on the street), so i guess the new owner moved it back to the old space?

i'd love to check out rococo, and i've been to contents many times and was never really impressed. the prices are cheap, but the clothes reflect that.

i love cruising 19th street after a big meal at collina's though. i usually HAVE to walk off all of that bread and pasta!

If I'm not mistaken, Mix was one of the first stores in Houston to sell Balenciaga bags, and they were the only place in town that sold Rick Owens.

You can buy Bal bags at NM in the Galleria. Don't have a clue who might sell Melinda Maria jewelry.

Most people have mentioned what I would suggest, so I'll just quickly do a list reaffirming some:

The GALLERIA is like my second home. Neimans at one end, Nordies on the other. Tiffany's, Movado, Ralph Lauren, Jimmy Choo, Burberry, LV, Sephora, all sandwiched in between those. While I certainly can't afford those kind of things, it's always fun to window shop ^_^

The Rice Village, located around Kirby & University, is a great place for light shopping and good eats! My favs: Ruggles & Hungry's (right across from each other), Black Walnut Cafe, and THE CHOCOLATE BAR! I loooove [dark] chocolate, so this place is like a small slice of heaven. Candy store on one side, cake on the other, with ice cream in the middle. I would skip the giant cakes (like 8" tall) they have on top of the glass in favor of some of the smaller ones IN the glass. If you like dark chocolate, get the Black Russian - dark chocolate moouse toped with a zig-zag of chocolate syrup and chocolate/white-chocolate coffee beans. Mmmm...If you're not a big fan of chocolate, there's the Tuxedo Cheesecake (I'm not a huge fan, but many friends are).

Really, anywhere up and down Westheimer has good eats. Seriously, that street probably has more restaurants in one vicinity than a small country.

If you like Thrift Store shopping, there's a Buffalo Exchange down Westheimer, closer to Downtown. There are other thrift stores around it, like Taxi Taxi, or a few boutiques, like Wish (not really worth the prices there, IMO). Katz's is near this area, and also, an fine Italian restaurant I used to work at, Michelangelo's.

If it's Asian you want, then Houston is probably on par with or second to LA (IMO). Haven't been to NYC, so I can't say. Chinatown used to be located in Downtown, but moved to SW Houston to a street called Bellaire. There are plenty of places there to eat, like strictly pho-only shops, Vietnamese sandwich shops, Dim Sum, or the standard Vietnamese or Chinese restaurants.

Feel free to PM me for details if you want/need more info! I'd be happy to help :smile:

neiman's now has the houston exclusive on balenciaga. at one point, you could buy them at NM, mix and joseph. mix is a very high end store with a fantastic selection of dries, mcqueen, comme de garcon, junya etc. they stocked nina ricci when olivier theyskens was the creative director and had the best selection of lanvin shoes imho. i have not been to the "new" old location, so i have no idea what they stock, but they had a niche clientele, so i would imagine it's along the same lines.

no clue who/if anyone stocks MM jewelry, but it looks like you can order from the site easily enough - http://www.melindamaria.com/