Shopping in Hong Kong or China?

panduhbear

O.G.
Aug 15, 2011
I have planned an upcoming trip to Hong Kong and China. It is my first time going and I definitely plan to do some major shopping. I live in Canada and was wondering if there are any brands for bags or jewellery that would be cheaper in Asia than Canada. I would also love to hear of any deals that anyone has found from duty free in Asia.

Not in china.. Branded bags are generally more expensive in China. Try Hongkong if you are going there.

I have planned an upcoming trip to Hong Kong and China. It is my first time going and I definitely plan to do some major shopping. I live in Canada and was wondering if there are any brands for bags or jewellery that would be cheaper in Asia than Canada. I would also love to hear of any deals that anyone has found from duty free in Asia.

Hong Kong is cheaper than China, so I would save the shopping for Hong Kong. I've no idea about Canadian prices, but as a guide you will generally find Hong Kong prices to be more expensive than Europe and the US when it comes to designer goods.

agree with others on designer goods in China are priced higher due to their duty tax system. If you are open for non designer goods, you are in for a treat :biggrin: Things in Forever21 are very cheap in China compare w/North America.

oh cool will make a note to check out forever21 then :biggrin: its a bummer that the general consensus here seems to be that luxury goods cost more. I remember not too long ago when friends used to wait for HK trips to go get their LV because of the lower tax. :sad:

Keep in mind that Canadian tax is quite high (depending on where you are from). The before tax price of a trapeze in HK translates to roughly $2450, while in Canada it is $2600. Add on another whopping 13% GST in Ontario and it is clearly cheaper to buy in HK.

There are several places in Hong Kong that sell goods directly imported from Europe at a discounted price compared to the retail stores. A place that I go to is right across from the Duty Free in Tsim Sha Tsui East ... I think its call Tycoon City. The place is like a giant duty free but their name brand products can be more than 10% cheaper than buying from the luxury brand stores or the DFS directly. They carry brands ranging from Tory Burch to Chanel.

There are also some other places on the Hong Kong side as well that sell at a discount to the brand stores.

As long as you don't have an issue with not purchasing from the name brand store then there are lots of deals to be found in HK.

Send me a PM and I can let you know where these places are.

My experience in Beijing & Shanghai was that luxury goods were higher than EU & US. (We had been living in Switzerland & the US.)
Some of the really exclusive malls were oddly quiet or even just partially occupied. The malls with more modest shopping were insane! People EVERYWHERE. I enjoyed the shopping in the cities a bit, but I liked the jewelry bargains in Guangzhou more.

Hong Kong is one of my favorite (probably my most favorite actually) places to shop - they have EVERYTHING! Just a great selection of European, American and Asian brands. But as most everyone has mentioned, some items do cost more than in Europe or the US.

Love SaSa in Hong Kong for beauty products (Shu uemura cleansing oil, Shiseido shampoos and conditioners).
Shanghai Tang had sales when I was there last year.
I found gold jewelry to be fairly expensive both in HK and mainland China though -- compared to Dubai where I live.

There is a shop in Tsim Sha Tsui East called Tycoon city, it is right behind the DFS. They have all kinds of watches and handbags. The handbags in particular are cheaper than the actual retail stores.

There is also a building in Causeway Bay called Hang Lung Center. Go to the 13th or 14th floor and there are a few shops on the left that sell name brand products for cheaper. I think they are called Pastelli. I have seen BV bags for 40% off Hong Kong retail prices. These stores actually do a lot of wholesale to China but also have a large selection of regular clothes, shoes and bags to purchase. The only issue is that since they do wholesale their shops are a bit messy.

One of the most popular stores around is called Twist, they are a little more commercial. The shopping experience is a lot better than the ones in Hang Lung. They have decent prices but it won't be as cheap as the ones in Hang Lung Center.

I am 100% sure that their products are authentic because my friend bought a Chanel purse from Pastelli and brought it in to the Chanel store to check. Everything checked out fine.