Shopping in heels

arielqueen

O.G.
Jan 23, 2012
I went shopping in a pair of 3 1/4 inch heels yesterday and regretted it big time. The shoes are comfortable when I wear them in the office where the walking distance between various work stations is relatively short.
Went marathon shopping with them after work (a 3 hrs shopping spree) and towards the end I was walking like i was injured. Haha.

Yep, I've done this before and regretted it about 20 minutes in. I don't know how some people can deal with it. Even wearing the wrong flats can be murder. Ah well, you live and learn!

I always change from flats to heels whenever I go anywhere - dinner, events, etc. I couldn't imagine wearing heels for that long! The only heels that I can tolerate better are boots that don't have a high pitch...

I love heels for work and functions. They always make me feel professional and 'dressed up'. For shopping, not so much :smile: I'm 5'8 so heels sometimes mean i tower over people :smile:
I love flats too and I almost always wear flats in the weekends. Giving my feet a rest.

Me too. I regularly wore 4+" heels at the office for 10 hours without discomfort. But hitting the mall in the same shoes killed me every single time. I think it's a terrain issue. Office carpeting vs walking across mall floors.

Reactions: LKBennettlover
Me too. I regularly wore 4+" heels at the office for 10 hours without discomfort. But hitting the mall in the same shoes killed me every single time. I think it's a terrain issue. Office carpeting vs walking across mall floors.

Agreed! Plus, you sit waaaay more in the office

Been there (a LONG time ago). It's nice to wear great heels, so here are two potential solutions:

1. Some high end heels are reasonably comfortable to wear for long stretches. I've had good luck with Manolo, Tabitha Simmons, and some Saint Laurent's. I have a 4"+ Tabitha Simmons bootie that I wore to a horse racetrack event for about six hours, standing most of the time. My feet were fine. From that point I was sold on that brand.

2. Take advantage of those packable flats that fit into even a small bag to wear to your destination (carrying your heels or dressy shoes in a collapsable bag to switch out with the flats when you've arrived). If your feet begin to suffer while shopping, you can always go back to the back-up flats (and rescue your feet).

Bonus solution: wear a real spanky low heel shoe, like Roger Vivier, Gucci, Oscar de la Renta etc...they make some real gorgeous eye catching low heeled or flat shoes that can go for miles.

Not only are heels are uncomfortable for a marathon shopping spree, but I feel off-balance when I'm teetering in high heels carrying multiple bags. I reserve stilettos for outings such as dinner, drinks and nights out. Flats, sneakers, flip flops, Uggs for shopping.