Shopping bags..why are stores so cheap?

i feel you and i definitely hate the drawstring bags!! i feel like those are the worse and most irritating- especially since the strings are so long and i'm not so tall! :yucky:

I remember when I worked at Nordstrom and on the employee level and stuff they had signs everywhere reminding everyone how much the bags cost. Ranging from five cents to a quarter or even fifty (i don't remember anymore). Anyways, it adds up really really fast. They certainly aren't cheap.

I hate it when the stores put my purchases in bags that are way too big. I always try to consolidate as much as I can so as not to end up with gazillion bags. I'm tired of our ever-growing bag of plastic bags that need to be taken to recycling. I almost always take a tote bag to the grocery store.

The BEST shopping bag experience ever was when I bought a big purse from Chanel and they gave me a humongous shopping bag. Not only could I put everything I bought afterwards in that one shopping bag, it felt faaantastic to strut around town with a huge Chanel shopping bag.

I don't really care if a store gives me a cheap bag. I throw them away anyways. I'm not carrying a plastic bag around to show people where I've shopped. The only time I care about getting a nice bag is if I'm shopping at an upscale store, like Marc Jacobs.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I love drawstring bags. I like to wrap the string around my hand because I hold it better that way. Also, I like that my stuff can't fall out the top.

I hate cheap plastic bags that burst open before I get home.

I don't mind plastic bags that are decent (as long as the stuff is carried, what do I care?). I'm also a packrat so if I get a lovely bag, I'll keep it for reuse (love carrying work folders in the paper Chloe bag).

I also hate the paper bags that don't have a "flap" where the handles are because the raw edge usually cuts like a razorblade.

I don't feel the same way, although I can appreciate your feelings about getting something more sturdy - especially if you've spent a lot of money. I tend to be the shopper who either puts everything in one bag, or bring my own.

Ryan said:
The best bags I've ever seen are from Scoop. VERY thick, durable plastic. You could use them as luggage.

scoopnyc.com

Ryan

I LOVE SCOOP BAGS.

stores w/ good shopping bags:

intermix
scoop
big drop
searle
French Corner
New York Look

D & G have weird plastic bags... they always give me a rash when it's the weather is hot... and they are not convenient to hold either. :yucky:

I love the paper bags from Saks. They are not too flashy like bags from other stores (Burberry, Chanel...) and they are very durable.

Also, add me to the list of hating Macy's plastic bags.

I had an experience similar in Victoria's Secret over the weekend. I had to return 3 pairs of underwear and I brought them back in a little VS bag that I had got when I bought some lipgloss on their beauty side. The semi-annual sale happen to be going on so I grabbed about a dozen pair of underwear and a lip plumping lipgloss. So I go to the checkout and return the underwear and buy my new ones. The clerk asked me if I wanted a new bag,ummmm obviously because everything I was buying was not going to fit into this little bag. She then proceeds to get a new tiny bag (the same as the one I had just brought my underwear back in) and STUFFS everything into it. WTF!!! I spend thousands of dollars a year in that store and I don't even get a big bag!

katiecouture said:
i don't care out all about bag quality in all honesty. the purpose of it is to get your purchase from the store to your car to your house. they aren't intended to be a cute item to carry around with you all day. i mean if louis vuitton gave out used publix bags to hold my new speedy i wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

That's fine if you a) aren't doing any more shopping and b) have a car. Usually if I'm going shopping than I'm really going shopping, and will be hitting more than one store on foot. I don't like having flimsy bags that will fall apart, bags that don't have handles, plastic bags with just those little holes for handles, or undersized bags where my items are poking out the top. Usually I end up putting the stuff in the cruddy bags into larger, better bags I've gotten elsewhere. It's not about showing off where I've been shopping, it's about managing the stuff I have to carry as I go from store to store. Also, if you'll be walking or riding public transport to get home (as I do), it helps to have your things in a sturdy bag. I actually carry my groceries in a shoulder tote because it's more comfortable and more secure than plastic grocery bags for the mile walk home. :idea:

i thinkn the stores really no longer care about their customers and it's reflected even more so in the bags they give you to carry your purchases home in.

Ever buy a nice dress in a store and you have a choice of them folding it into a bag? Or they staple two bags togther so you can carry it like a hanging bag. That was wonderful

on the other hand, I hate when I go to the grocery store and they put like two items into a double-upped plastic bag, so that i end up with a gazillion bags and get annoyed that I have yet another trip to the recylers. I guess we can never be happy lol.

I HATE this!! I hate when stores try to overstuff things into a little bag, or, when you purchase something small like, say, lotion, and they put it in the BIGGEST BAG they can possibly find! I think the only bags I really like are the fcuk ones because they have a really long drawstring that I can just put on the shoulder and wear as a bag. This way I have both hands free to look at things (another pet peeve, I hate crazy small bags that I have to hand hold!) However I would rather take a brown type of bag vs. a plastic one because they hurt my hangs more, esp, when the purchase is large!