Shoplifters

Kneurotic

Jan 30, 2018
I was in the Coach retail store today, a lady just ran out with a bag and although the alarm sounded, she was already long gone but the time the SA looked up. It was also an hour before close and the store was pretty empty. I didn’t realize this still happens!

I was in the Coach retail store today, a lady just ran out with a bag and although the alarm sounded, she was already long gone but the time the SA looked up. It was also an hour before close and the store was pretty empty. I didn’t realize this still happens!
It's sad but true. It happened to my local store last year. They also had someone smash the window and grab a few purses that were in the window display.

:amazed: There are probably cameras that caught the persons face. Was she acting normally beforehand and dressed normally?

I wonder why they don't lock the model bags like they do at department stores? Or use those exploding ink tags? Do the really large stores have security I wonder? I've never lived close to a large retail store so I'm not sure.

I have found that jewelry and luxury stores in Europe very often have locked doors you have to buzz in to enter/exit or security guards but I don't think I've seen that as much here. Even smaller stores or brands you might not recognize seemed to do this. But they usually have street entrances as opposed to an indoor mall entrance.

On a related note, I was in Michaels arts and crafts a while ago and was amused to find that they now lock hypoallergenic sterling silver earring parts ($5) and you aren't allowed to carry them to check out yourself! I found it so funny because they sell much more expensive things that could be shoptlifted just as easily. It was such an oddly specific item for people to shoplift.

Reactions: whateve
Such a shame. But I’m curious, did you happen to see what bag it was?
I glanced at the display before the incident and wasn’t really paying attention but I think it was the triple crossbody with a cute hangtag. May have had a custom strap too. It’s ironic they took the cheaper bag of the bunch because there were several dreamers in the same display. That person obviously wasn’t familiar with the brand!

Reactions: Syren
:amazed: There are probably cameras that caught the persons face. Was she acting normally beforehand and dressed normally?

I wonder why they don't lock the model bags like they do at department stores? Or use those exploding ink tags? Do the really large stores have security I wonder? I've never lived close to a large retail store so I'm not sure.

I only saw her in the corner of my eye but she seemed to head directly to the display by the door (mall entrance) whereas other legit shoppers might look around first, walk into the store, get SA’s attention... the bag did beep. But not sure if it was a tag that needs a special machine to remove or just a little plastic tag hiding inside the bag.

On another note, I once bought something from a dept store online and they sent me the product with the security tag! ‍♀️ I was too lazy to drive to the store to remove the tag and it wasn’t exploding ink so I tried to remove it myself. Almost impossible! Even pliers couldn’t cut through the wires.

Reactions: whateve
I glanced at the display before the incident and wasn’t really paying attention but I think it was the triple crossbody with a cute hangtag. May have had a custom strap too. It’s ironic they took the cheaper bag of the bunch because there were several dreamers in the same display. That person obviously wasn’t familiar with the brand!

That’s what I wondering! If it was something on the pricier end. SMH People are terrible lol

Thanks for answering.

I only saw her in the corner of my eye but she seemed to head directly to the display by the door (mall entrance) whereas other legit shoppers might look around first, walk into the store, get SA’s attention... the bag did beep. But not sure if it was a tag that needs a special machine to remove or just a little plastic tag hiding inside the bag.

On another note, I once bought something from a dept store online and they sent me the product with the security tag! ‍♀️ I was too lazy to drive to the store to remove the tag and it wasn’t exploding ink so I tried to remove it myself. Almost impossible! Even pliers couldn’t cut through the wires.

I see. So maybe about 5 years ago my mom bought a Coach bag in the store. She was doing Christmas shopping at the mall the next day and she wanted to use her new bag. She went to three stores before Macy's and she set off the alarm at all of them but they finally asked to check her belongings at Macy's. Lo and behold Coach had forgotten to take out the security tag. It was one if those shiny sticker like tags (like in the photo here: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Antishoplifting-Tag.html) that had been hiding in a zip pocket inside the bag. My mom was so embarrassed but she was glad to know why she kept setting off the alarms at all the stores!

Reactions: whateve and katev
Coats,shoes, sneakers I have seen these items walk right out of the store on the persons body. The coat was a fur coat that had to be unlocked there was security by the fur coats. Shoes, sneakers, boots the thief will have the SA keep going in the back for different sizes and then they will put on the new pair and walk out of the store. There was a rack of high priced Burberry scarfs hanging the thief grabbed the whole rack off the counter and ran out the door with it.

The Coach store I frequent was hit a week or two ago by a man that ran out with seven bags! He scooped them up all by their handles and carried them out draped in his arms.

I see. So maybe about 5 years ago my mom bought a Coach bag in the store. She was doing Christmas shopping at the mall the next day and she wanted to use her new bag. She went to three stores before Macy's and she set off the alarm at all of them but they finally asked to check her belongings at Macy's. Lo and behold Coach had forgotten to take out the security tag. It was one if those shiny sticker like tags (like in the photo here: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Antishoplifting-Tag.html) that had been hiding in a zip pocket inside the bag. My mom was so embarrassed but she was glad to know why she kept setting off the alarms at all the stores!
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I cut the tags and removed the security tag out of the pocket as soon as I got it. The next day we went into Academy Sports and as I was leaving the security alarm went off. As soon as it did the female employee looked at me and asked if the bag was new. I looked and sure enough there was a second security tag that I didn't notice before. It wasn't embarrassing, but it alerted my dh that I had another new bag! :annoyed: :lol:

Here in Chicago there have been a number of cars crashing through store fronts to steal merch. It's happened on Michigan Avenue Neiman Marcus where thieves stole Chanel bags; Louis Vuitton on Michigan Ave and then in two suburbs, and the Moncler coat store on Oak Street, Chicago. I'm sure there have been others, but those come immediately to mind. Now Neiman Marcus has armed uniformed police at entrances. I always wanted to ask the police if they carried "designer handcuffs" being in NM, then I chicken out. There are loser thieves all over. First they steal the cars, then they crash into stores and steal stuff. Just another day for them.

Reactions: pho3nix
Here in Chicago there have been a number of cars crashing through store fronts to steal merch. It's happened on Michigan Avenue Neiman Marcus where thieves stole Chanel bags; Louis Vuitton on Michigan Ave and then in two suburbs, and the Moncler coat store on Oak Street, Chicago. I'm sure there have been others, but those come immediately to mind. Now Neiman Marcus has armed uniformed police at entrances. I always wanted to ask the police if they carried "designer handcuffs" being in NM, then I chicken out. There are loser thieves all over. First they steal the cars, then they crash into stores and steal stuff. Just another day for them.
Wow, I visited Chicago and remember the Louis/Chanel stores. That’s crazy!

Once I bought a swimsuit and they didn't remove the security tag. I lived about an hour away from the store. The manager felt so bad she drove out to my house with the removal device. Another time, I bought a purse at a thrift store and got home with the security tag attached. That time, it was 200 miles away. 6 months later I went back to store and asked them to remove the tag. I didn't have the receipt but luckily they believed me.
This used to happen to me every time I shopped at the outlet. I'd walk into other stores and set off the alarm, and the SAs would say, oh Coach, they are always forgetting to remove the security tags.