Shopaholic?

katran26

Bargain Hunter!
O.G.
Aug 25, 2008
I'm getting tons of comments from people I know who think I'm a shopaholic. Granted, I'm into the latest "Deals & Steals" and love shopping, but why do people have to give you a label because you like searching for a good deal and/or care about how you look?

It's ridiculous! This label is getting annoying too - people love stereotyping you as something (i.e. flaky) even though I'm far from it (I work in software, a pretty challenging field).

anyone else feel this angst?

haha, love it!

maybe we should all just come out with it? :woohoo:

Hehee, seriously. At first when DF told me I had an addition to shopping I didn't want to hear it. But now I realize I do have an addition. It's like a freakin drug to me. It calms me and makes me feel good. If I'm happy, I celebrate by shopping, if I'm sad then I grieve and make myself feel better by shopping. But now that I am big enough to be aware and accept it, I try to consciously becareful when I'm emotional so I don't go crazy shopping and buying things I don't need. But still, I enjoy shopping and do allow myself to treat myself to some shopping here and there. :yes:

I think the definition of an addiction is that not only do you do *something* too often but also that it is hurting you and your loved ones. As long as you're not in serious debt, stealing money, forging checks, bouncing checks, etc., I think you'll be okay. :jammin:

I think the definition of an addiction is that not only do you do *something* too often but also that it is hurting you and your loved ones. As long as you're not in serious debt, stealing money, forging checks, bouncing checks, etc., I think you'll be okay. :jammin:

If that's the case, then I'm cleared!! I'm in no debt (or ever have been) and I don't steal, forge checks, no checks bounce, etc. I guess I have a healthy habit. YAY, I can tell DF that now. :nuts::P

I wrote a paper on shopaholics. Considering that the economy is in the state that it is, shopping in access is being looked down upon more than ever. There are actually AA type groups that help shopaholics.

I am a shopaholic! I am very rich but I just love to spot bargain and keep searching for new clothes and shoes and bags and cosmetics! I go shopping every week even sometimes I do not come home with any shopping bag. I just love to shop around and look a new item!

yeah, well, obviously if anyone here had a major problem they should seek help, but I seriously think that the term is just thrown around nowadays (especially with the movie coming out!)

I think LVShoeFan2 had it best - as long as it doesn't hurt you or anyone else it should be fine.

The thing that annoys me are the labels - I know people who dine out every night, or spend a lot of money for clubs, groups, etc. If I want to spend my hard earned money shopping, then that's my choice...:okay:
http://forum.purseblog.com/member.php?u=8821

anyone else feel this angst?
No. I do what I want and don't care about stereotypes.

Because of what I do for a living, people assume I'm a shopaholic. Yes, I love to shop, but I'm not a spendaholic. I can still take pleasure in checking out what's new in the stores even if I have no intention of buying. And when I do want to buy... so what?! I make my own money and spend it as I see fit and I couldn't care less about what other people think.

If tons of people who know you are telling you that, there's probably a reason for it. Maybe you're addicted to shopping. I know most people here make light of that, but, IMO, any addiction becomes a problem sooner or later.

If tons of people who know you are telling you that, there's probably a reason for it. Maybe you're addicted to shopping. I know most people here make light of that, but, IMO, any addiction becomes a problem sooner or later.

no, I just happen to have worked with women who pretend to be into "more serious" things than shopping, so coming in during lunch with a few shopping bags now and then brought upon that label.

I don't want to make light of a serious problem. If shopping starts taking over your life - your work, friends, etc. - then it would be best to get help. I guess I'm just finding the whole labeling bit a tad annoying.