Home & Garden Shoes off! - in other people's homes?

My family members keep or have house slippers at my house. Guests are told ahead of time of no shoes policy.

I don't like outside shoes in the certain portions of the house. It's ok for entry way and those areas. Personally it's a germophbia thing for me. My family is ok with it.

Guest don't mind if I tell them ahead of time. I also keep booties around for any repair men. Cable guy puts booties on when in the house.

No problems with shoes off - I love it.

Here, taking your shoes off is the norm. When I lived abroad, I remember thinking it was weird how people wore shoes inside. I mean, it must get dirty very fast?? Also wearing shoes all the time, even at home, must get uncomfortable? Anyway, I always take my shoes off, no matter the country.

When I lived abroad, I remember thinking it was weird how people wore shoes inside.

I mean, it must get dirty very fast??

No, it doesn't.

Because there are human beings who wear clean shoes.

Also there are countries where you do not have to walk for miles through dirt and mud to reach your neighbour.

Just a little piece of information. ;)

No, it doesn't.

Because there are human beings who wear clean shoes.

Also there are countries where you do not have to walk for miles through dirt and mud to reach your neighbour.

Just a little piece of information. ;)

No, most outside places are dirty; this is the main reason people wear shoes - to protect their feet from dirt and injury.

I frankly don't understand your insistence that people should be able to wear shoes indoors despite the owner's request. It's their house to do with as they wish; you are not required to enter. Do you have something against feet?

No, most outside places are dirty; this is the main reason people wear shoes - to protect their feet from dirt and injury.

I frankly don't understand your insistence that people should be able to wear shoes indoors despite the owner's request. It's their house to do with as they wish; you are not required to enter. Do you have something against feet?

I'm curious too.

Seems like most posters prefer shoes off in their homes, whether due to cultural, cleanliness, or other reasons. Traminer, you seem very determined to change the minds of every poster who does not agree with your viewpoint.

I know that my opinion is a minority opinion here.

If it is not possibly to voive a minority opinion here without getting attacked personally, then I will better drop the subject.

So all the members of the majority can go on agreeing with each other without being contradicted.

Tschüss! ;)

I don't think you are in the minority. I think the responses here may be skewed.

I have always lived in environments where people are inside and outside all the time. We need our shoes! 40% of the households here have dogs, and many have backyards that they go in and out of. I am rarely asked to take off my shoes when entering someone's home.

If I lived in a condo or a climate where I came home and snuggled in for the night, I might be more interested in keeping the floors continuously clean.

I would always do what the homeowner wanted, however.

I would always do what the homeowner wanted, however.

Well, I never said that I would walk around in other person's homes with my shoes on against their will. And of course I never do.

I only wanted to open a discussion whether this rule "Shoes off in other people's homes!" is popular or not.

That' s all.

I know that my opinion is a minority opinion here.

If it is not possibly to voive a minority opinion here without getting attacked personally, then I will better drop the subject.

So all the members of the majority can go on agreeing with each other without being contradicted.

Tschüss! ;)

You were not just voicing a minority opinion:

You were deliberately taking an extreme interpretation of the other opinion. See quotes below:

I just think it is very rude to order one's guests about.
I just think it is very rude if one suggests that they are all dirty people with dirty shoes.
I just think it is very rude if one values some stupid old carpet more highly than a human person.

But I DO NOT LIKE to walk barefoot just because someone orders me about to do so - because their stupid carpets or whatever is more important to them than my person!

Most people were puzzled how you got to this conclusion (suggesting people are dirty, valuing carpet more than a person) when most everyone who posted wrote that they prefer that people take their shoes off when entering their house but they don't force anyone to do so.

You deliberately make ridiculous analogies to make your point. See quotes below:

So the world falls apart in two clear parts: outside and inside. :smile:

Question:

Where do offices, banks, shops, churches etc. belong?

Outside or inside?

Do you wear outside or inside shoes there?

Or maybe special shoes?

office-shoes, bank-shoes, shop-shoes, church-shoes etc?

Or do you always walk barefoot in offices, banks, shops, churches etc? :smile:

The question is, that some hosts order their guests about what to wear.

So you order your guests to visit you in their underwear - just because you like to lounge around the house in your underwear.

If you want to have a debate, then behave suitably: address people's comments directly and reasonably. People responded to your posts and most of them were fairly well-reasoned yet you just kept on being glib.

I can't believe a topic like this- about keeping shoes off or on in someones home, can get hostile.. but it did.. weird..
#firstworlproblems

Good post, apey_grapey. I'm all for discussing and reading/respecting others' opinions but when arguments are put forth that are simply ridiculous in the scope of the discussion (i.e. walking barefoot in banks, etc), it becomes annoying and frustrating, especially over such a mundane topic.

Good post, apey_grapey. I'm all for discussing and reading/respecting others' opinions but when arguments are put forth that are simply ridiculous in the scope of the discussion (i.e. walking barefoot in banks, etc), it becomes annoying and frustrating, especially over such a mundane topic.

this!

OP - You seem determined to argue about this, and I can't imagine why.

Yes. Taking shoes of is a clean thing to do. Shoes walk on dirty stuff including poop. It also gives feet a rest and walking barefoot can relax feet and counteract shortened muscles in the calfs from high heels and kicking of shoes means i am home relax