Shoes For Italy?

jillhillary

Sep 12, 2009
I will be going to Italy mid May (Florence, Venice, Rome) and hoping the weather will be warm enough to wear maxi dresses/skirts/tops with layers and am looking for some comfortable yet stylish sandals. (I will also bring jeans and boots for cooler weather).

I have seen some threads on comfortable walking shoes, but I cannot wear Clarks, Mephisto,Teva, etc....They are cute on others but just look horrible and bulky on me and don't look right with my clothes. I know comfort should come before style, but I just like cute shoes! I am from NYC and have been to Paris so aware I will be doing alot of walking and there will be cobblestone streets, but don't want to sacrifice style for a "comfort" type shoe, but know a simple leather flip flop will probably not suffice.

I like simple styles (no ankle straps/multiple straps across foot) and wedges- any thoughts? :biggrin:

I will be going to Italy mid May (Florence, Venice, Rome) and hoping the weather will be warm enough to wear maxi dresses/skirts/tops with layers and am looking for some comfortable yet stylish sandals. (I will also bring jeans and boots for cooler weather).

I have seen some threads on comfortable walking shoes, but I cannot wear Clarks, Mephisto,Teva, etc....They are cute on others but just look horrible and bulky on me and don't look right with my clothes. I know comfort should come before style, but I just like cute shoes! I am from NYC and have been to Paris so aware I will be doing alot of walking and there will be cobblestone streets, but don't want to sacrifice style for a "comfort" type shoe, but know a simple leather flip flop will probably not suffice.

I like simple styles (no ankle straps/multiple straps across foot) and wedges- any thoughts? :biggrin:

Oh - I'm with you!! The least offending really comfy sandals are the Ecco Gladiators, - give them a try, not as bulky. They might have more straps than you'd like but they are much cuter than others. You unfortunately need a thicker sole to handle the hours on your feet and those cobblestones. Also, have you thought about bringing some cute low profile sneakers like Converse or Superga? You can pair the Supergas (with an inner hidden sock) with maxi skirts, slim capris, minis. For short walks, I swear by the Gigi by Sam Edelman. It has padding and looks like the super chic Capri sandals that are hand made on the island. But not for all day sightseeing.

Thanks Greentea! The Ecco Gladiator are really not bad looking as you said, but the strap issue I have is more that they are typically super uncomfortable, always rub in he wrong spot so for me the less strap the better!

I do like the Sam Edelman- I have the leather Gracie thong, nice padding but not great for all day out although I did wear them alot last summer.....

I had the same dilemma last year! I spent 3 weeks in Tokyo and did a TON of walking... refused to wear ugly shoes Lol. I bought some Sperry Topsiders and they are surprisingly comfy! They are casual but not too frumpy or "American Tourist" looking... they even looked cute with dresses.

So glad you shoe lovers are not mocking me :biggrin:

I did find a pair of Cordani shoes- cork wedges (should be lightweight) with a molded footbed and rubber soles. Ironically they are handmade in Italy! I can walk all day long in a heel if it is a wedge so hopefully these are comfortable and have good arch support. They may not be great for cobblestones but hoping they may work for regular walking

From their website: "The original collection emphasizes fashionable and chic wedges and platforms that are carefully designed to provide even weight distribution to allow you to work or play all day long. The curved lines of the under-soles give you a “rocker-effect” which gently propels you forward as you walk. Some of our other comfort features include molded footbeds, arch supports, heel grips, and padded insoles among others"

Anyone familiar with this brand?
Other thought?

I know you're looking for sandals, but what about some Supergas & K Jaques and swap out.
May can still be a little transitional. Plus it always helps me to have shoes I can change up while I'm out & about.

Supergas are chic sneakers, but I am only 5'1 and look so short and stumpy in sneakers! Only wear sneakers with yoga pants to the gym :smile: I have similar sandals to the K. Jacques. Will also bring boots to wear with skinny jeans if weather is chilly, but if it is at least low 70's during the day I am more comfortable in a sandal.

Yep, I always travel with several pairs of shoes in case one pair is killing me so I like to switch out!

i went through this last year when i went to italy. . i was planning on skirts and dresses and REFUSED to go frumpy as far as footwear. the poster above who commented that you'll need something with a decent sole is correct. i ended up getting a pair of aetrex (sp?) sandals from the walking company. they may have more straps then you like, but they are adjustable. i got them in silver/gold because i'm a big believer in metalics as neutrals :o)

I am looking for the holy grail....chic sandal with rubber sole, with some support, that looks good with skirts/dresses with minimal straps in a neutral color!!! I guess asking for a bit of a heel is pushing it :smile:

Lol!! When I find good looking comfortable shoes I don't mind spending!

I like your taste, but these straps just hurt me looking at them...ouch! (the tops of my feet must be weirdly sensitive as clearly most people can wear cute strappy sandals!)