Shoe Rules

Dec 22, 2008
I have heard that you should never wear sneakers or running shoes in the city and they are only meant for out of the city or for working out. I've seen people wear them in the city as part of their "look". Have you ever heard this rule or something similar and do you agree?

I think it's all about what type of look you're trying to portray, or not portray. Sometimes functionality is a consideration that overrides fashion. There's definitely a time for sneakers in the city outside of the gym. Or, sneaker-like shoes, say Puma. I don't generally wear my gym sneakers out. But, I do wear Dansko clogs, though, and they are not "stylish" per se...just functional.

The only rules that matter are the ones that you are comfortable applying to yourself!

I wear tennis shoes as a necessity walking to and from work. I have broken both ankles at separate times and I do not wear office shoes (heels) walking outside. I may look like a dork but it's the safest thing for me to do.

"you should never wear sneakers or running shoes in the city and they are only meant for out of the city or for working out."

Seriously!? :roflmfao:
I'm sorry, in 2009 I am always just so shocked to hear or read anything like this.
Why shouldn't we wear what WE want when we want w/o worrying about stuff like this?

I've always thought this to, tbh. When I was in NYC I walked around in sneakers but I felt a little bit out. As long as they don't look like jogging shoes, I think I would be fine.

However, I went to a amusement park in my joggingshoes once though..very ugly but so comfy. But I felt wrong there too..

I wore boots, when I walking in the city like Paris and Amsterdam during winter, and flats(with built-in support cushion) or leather sneakers(looks more like shoes rather than sneaker) from Tods during summer. The leather flats or sandals is great for walking in the any big city (where you were required to walk 5/7 km a day). I even wore during vacay in Perth a Tods Mary Jane heels (about 3.75 inches) where bottom sole is rubber, that shoes has good support, it's comfortable and stylish as well.

I hate wearing trainers when I'm not at the gym. Just because I have other footwear that looks so much nicer! However I think people should wear whatever they want to, because being uncomfortable in the name of fashion isn't that great. It's difficult to find footwear that's stylish and functional (although many brands claim their functional shoes are stylish, I often find this to be a bare-faced lie!!).

I have heard that you should never wear sneakers or running shoes in the city and they are only meant for out of the city or for working out. I've seen people wear them in the city as part of their "look". Have you ever heard this rule or something similar and do you agree?

I've never heard of that. This is 2009, not 1959.

Lots of people I know ONLY wear that type of shoe, including to work. They may have a few nice pairs they wear when they go out or to a special event.

They may have several pairs of sneakers/trainers and keep a nicer pair for going to places like amusement parks.

I do think, just for the sake of style, if you're going to wear tennis shoe STYLE shoes, get some that are dressier and not bright white with thick rubber soles to wear out and about. I really think athletic shoes are super ugly so I have no desire to ever wear them when I'm not working out. But, it is in the end abut what YOU want and what you need for your life..

but what are you guys wearing when you're running errands? And I don't mean sitting in car bank drive thru type errands. I mean like volunteering at kids' school, going to grocery store, etc. . .

but what are you guys wearing when you're running errands? And I don't mean sitting in car bank drive thru type errands. I mean like volunteering at kids' school, going to grocery store, etc. . .

I'm not a mom, but I usually wear sandals to run errands if it's summer, or boots during the winter. I only wear tennis shoes when I'm exercising because I hate the look of tennis shoes and jeans... or anything that isn't exercise clothes.

I agree those big, white tennis shoes can look a bit silly when paired with a black city suit but they don't really have other option? I'd rather look silly than ruin my shoes (and back) for the sake of fashion.

Would our usual fashion minded crowd normally even wear big, thick, loud, bright white tennis shoes though?
None of mine are like that :s

Aren't those old men type tennis shoes or the kind people wore in the 80's when hair bands were cool?