Shoe Display in room with no door, tacky?

dpgyrl026

O.G.
Sep 23, 2006
Hi. I have a spare bedroom that I decorated as a fashion theme, and it’s used for guests to stay in when they visit.
*ETA NMP. I wish! Haha

Would it be weird to do a display like this without doors ? I’m conscious of guests being turned off with the idea of shoes out there and not behind doors. The glass doors at Ikea that come with this are sold out and they don’t ship to my area, not the glass doors anyway. Any other affordable alternatives with glass door?

E12F50D2-1E9B-4616-A2E1-5DE32DE31A53.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s your house so do what you want to make your space functional for you. However, what you’ve created is a closet/dressing room, ie., a room designed for accessing your clothes in a beautiful and convenient way—not a guest room, ie., a room designed for the comfort and convenience of your guests. This applies for rooms converted into kids’ rooms, offices, dog rooms, TV rooms etc. It’s totally fine, as long as you let potential overnight visitors know with full disclosure that you don’t have a guest room.

Something like.... “Hey, I’d love to have you stay but I converted my guest room into a dressing room (or whatever). There’s still a bed in there, but I’d feel terrible about you sleeping in my closet/dining room/study/nursery/kid’s room/laundry room/garage.” Then they can choose what works best for them with the full knowledge of what they’re getting into. They might elect to stay at a local hotel or they might say, “Oh that’s no problem! We plan to be running you around town so much we won’t be in there hardly ever anyway.” :dog:

Everyone usually ends up happier when they get to make their own choices ahead of time. So that way the next thread started at tPF won’t be, “My Best Friend Invited Me to Her House And Made Me Sleep In Her Closet!!!” :lol:

Last edited:
Thank you ladies! And sorry it’s not my picture. We do have a decent sized home but my walk-in closet is actually pretty lame for a house our size. They split it up and I just want to tear the wall down and move my DH somewhere.l

Reactions: Etriers
This hits too close to home! We live in an older home with small closets. When my sons went off to college, I redid their rooms to better suit our needs. One became a guest room/office with a queen-size sofa bed. The other has a regular queen bed, but one side of the room is my open overflow closet (photo of the room in progress). I love how the room turned out -- and it's super-functional for my needs -- but I do feel weird the few times we've had guests. Still, I think it has to work first and foremost for the person who lives in the home the majority of the time. In the future, I'll probably offer the true guest room first, but if they prefer a regular bed, they are welcome to stay in my closet!

IMG_1381.jpeg

I agree with the other posters. If you have overnight guests, you should inform them the room is not a guest room, but your closet/dressing room. You should wait and see if Ikea will re-stock the doors, otherwise, I agree with putting curtains to cover the items. Maybe even a room divider screen?

Nice display! I’m going to agree with the others as well. It would be off putting for me to sleep in essentially what is someone’s closet / dressing room. When I think guest room, I think of a super comfy retreat space my guests can retire to when they’ve had enough of travel, friends, family and busyness. I wouldn’t want my guests to stare at shoes (or guitars or ...)

And, one picky thing but shoes sometimes can have a slight residual foot odor regardless of how fastidious and clean a person is. Sometimes we can go “nose blind” but others may pick it up. So, it’s something to else to consider as well for a guest room.

If you invite someone to stay, make sure they know how the room is set up (just like if you were offering a kid’s room or an office with a pullout sofa to guests.) That way they can decide if they’re comfortable with the accommodations.

If not, that’s what hotels are for and everyone can have what they want. :smile: Guests have a non shoe decorated room and your accessories stay happy in their places.

Beyond that, can you have doors with glass inserts built? I wonder if there is a how to for DIY doors for bookcases somewhere on YouTube.

Nice display! I’m going to agree with the others as well. It would be off putting for me to sleep in essentially what is someone’s closet / dressing room. When I think guest room, I think of a super comfy retreat space my guests can retire to when they’ve had enough of travel, friends, family and busyness. I wouldn’t want my guests to stare at shoes (or guitars or ...)

And, one picky thing but shoes sometimes can have a slight residual foot odor regardless of how fastidious and clean a person is. Sometimes we can go “nose blind” but others may pick it up. So, it’s something to else to consider as well for a guest room.

If you invite someone to stay, make sure they know how the room is set up (just like if you were offering a kid’s room or an office with a pullout sofa to guests.) That way they can decide if they’re comfortable with the accommodations.

If not, that’s what hotels are for and everyone can have what they want. :smile: Guests have a non shoe decorated room and your accessories stay happy in their places.

Beyond that, can you have doors with glass inserts built? I wonder if there is a how to for DIY doors for bookcases somewhere on YouTube.

the glass doors came back in stock! ☺️ Going to build them this weekend. Excited about it!

Tbh though as a major shoe-enthusiast, my main concern was with the open shelving... Personally I wouldn’t recommend it as both the shoes and the shelves will be exposed to dust and will need to be cleaned weekly. Glass doors are definitely a way forward! ;)

Back to topic though - I agree with the previous posters. It’s you house and ultimately has to suit you and your needs :smile: as long as people are aware that the closet room doubles as a spare bedroom it shouldn’t be an issue or cause for discomfort...

Reactions: Etriers
This hits too close to home! We live in an older home with small closets. When my sons went off to college, I redid their rooms to better suit our needs. One became a guest room/office with a queen-size sofa bed. The other has a regular queen bed, but one side of the room is my open overflow closet (photo of the room in progress). I love how the room turned out -- and it's super-functional for my needs -- but I do feel weird the few times we've had guests. Still, I think it has to work first and foremost for the person who lives in the home the majority of the time. In the future, I'll probably offer the true guest room first, but if they prefer a regular bed, they are welcome to stay in my closet!

View attachment 4820951
Lol! I think my mother waited an entire 15 minutes after I left for college before dismantling ”my” room and commandeering it for her office!