Shocked by the nerve of some ppl .

Britexmom

Britexmom
O.G.
Jul 20, 2012
So today I was in Macy's....my closest Macy's just started carrying coach this year and don't have much other than some legacy pieces, and for some odd reason it's only black items. Anyway I took a quick peek and then I spot a MFF tote sitting with some other brands.
The price tag is for a Maggie OP art , so I looked at the inside creed label and use enough there is the F-number....so I find the SA and let her know, she had no idea about the F meaning factory and since they just started carrying coach she isn't familiar with the styles. So obviously someone had pulled a switch a d got credited for a FP purse. She passed the purse and info onto security.
But really the nerve of some ppl...and don't they get that their thieving is what drives up the retail prices to honest customers :nono:

I have seen this twice, once about 2 yrs ago at Dillards, it was on one of those sales and I asked the SA to check the price of one bag for me, she told me the price and I thought, 'too expensive' and left it there since I already had like 4 others I was buying. When I was driving home I remember the retail price on the tag and the retail price of that style, which was way cheaper, so obviously somebody changed tags on that one.

The other time was a few days ago, I saw a Dooney bag which I have never seen at department stores, it was a coated cotton tote (I have seen those at the outlets, Marshalls and TJMaxx), when I saw the tag, it had the tag for one of the florentine satchels, which retails for $398, so I think somebody did a switch with that one too.

Unbelievable!

That's pretty crappy. :tdown: I wouldn't put anything past some people. Glad you brought it to their attention so someone else who didn't know better didn't take it home.

I agree, but I also blame Coach a little bit because they use the same brand name and logo for their factory items as they do for their boutique items.

If they used a similar but slightly different name like "Michael by Michael Kors" it would help customers to tell the difference - at least it aid the SAs at places like Macy's and Dillards to be more alert to switched tags.

I agree, but I also blame Coach a little bit because they use the same brand name and logo for their factory items as they do for their boutique items.

If they used a similar but slightly different name like "Michael by Michael Kors" it would help customers to tell the difference - at least it aid the SAs at places like Macy's and Dillards to be more alert to switched tags.

Good point. But I think it was a MFF bag with a FP tag, right? I don't think the MFF tag would've scanned into the system at Macy's. Sometimes you can take all the right precautions and people will still find a way around it. I'll bet (hope) they will be on the lookout now though since they have been burned.

In addition to Coach, I am also a nerdy toy collector. A few years ago they came out with high quality movie accurate figures/dolls for Toy Story. I was in Toys R Us and could see that someone had removed the high quality $50-$60 Collector Woody from the box and replaced it with the cheapo $10 one from the Disney Store. I brought it up to customer service and told them someone returned this with the cheap version, you can even see where they poorly taped some of the packaging. The employee looked at me like she had NO comprehension what I was saying. I'm sure she put it right back on the shelf.

Good point. But I think it was a MFF bag with a FP tag, right? I don't think the MFF tag would've scanned into the system at Macy's. Sometimes you can take all the right precautions and people will still find a way around it. I'll bet (hope) they will be on the lookout now though since they have been burned.

Yes you are right , it was a mff scarf print tote with a Maggie price tag on it.....perhaps what the SA needs to do for a return is match up the paper tag with the I side creed, kinda like when you purchase or return shoes they match up the sizing with the box and each shoe. Funny thing was that their was a dust bag inside, wonder whether the store put that there or if the customer put it in to make the return seem real :confused1:

Another possibility... the returner received the bag as a gift. The gift giver may have been trying to pull one over on the gift recipient. And the gift recipient returned the bag clueless of the difference themself.

Non-purse related but a similar scam: people will buy video game systems like PS3 at Walmart, take it home, remove the gaming system, then put other crap in the box so that it weighs about the same, then return the box for a refund. The customer service people don't open the box to verify what is inside and put the box full of crap back on the shelf. Then someone else buys the PS3 sitting on the shelf gets home and finds out that they have a box full of crap instead of a PS3.

Some people never cease to amaze me anymore, and not in a good way so I can certainly see that happening. Glad you at least knew what you were doing though OP so you didn't get scammed as well.

Here is a question though, if someone had bought the bag at a Coach factory store, how were they even able to take it back to Macys? Does Macys have a liberal return policy were they will take anything back, even without a receipt? I never buy Coach from anywhere except the Coach stores or Coach online so I'm a bit confused.

Non-purse related but a similar scam: people will buy video game systems like PS3 at Walmart, take it home, remove the gaming system, then put other crap in the box so that it weighs about the same, then return the box for a refund. The customer service people don't open the box to verify what is inside and put the box full of crap back on the shelf. Then someone else buys the PS3 sitting on the shelf gets home and finds out that they have a box full of crap instead of a PS3.

When I was younger, I worked at Walmart. I remember when we were checking people out that had a bag or container, we had to open everything and look inside before we bagged it. You'd be surprised at how many people took offense to that. You'd also be surprised at how many of those offended had stuff in the items. Returns were the same way for our store. They made sure it was in there especially if it was a high ticket item. Stores should go back to the old way of things, wouldn't bother me one bit.

Here is a question though, if someone had bought the bag at a Coach factory store, how were they even able to take it back to Macys? Does Macys have a liberal return policy were they will take anything back, even without a receipt? I never buy Coach from anywhere except the Coach stores or Coach online so I'm a bit confused.

Apparently the scammer had swapped the paper hangtags that had the info for the "real" bag.