Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base Dupe?

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
It's been discontinued and it's my HG base. It kept my lashes curled all day, thickens them and gives them volume! I've tried a couple others, but they uncurled my lashed (weighed them down) or was so stark white that it looked funny, like it changed the color of my mascara.
Anyone use one that they can't live without?

Reactions: 94iBag
I’m so sad Shiseido discontinued this! I’ve been using Dior’s mascara base which is unfortunately white but I manage to cover my dark lashes with mascara so the white doesn’t show. It’s one of the better performers I’ve tried. Sometimes the Costco website has it.

I’ve also tried the Chanel base but didn’t like it. It started getting stringy after two weeks.

Reactions: 94iBag and Swanky
I think this is the second time Shiseido discontinued this! I should have stocked up:annoyed:.
Currently using Marc Jacobs primer. It’s an odd color so you have to make sure your mascara covers it but so far so good. I personally found the Dior took out my curl and I don’t need droopy lashes at my age.

Reactions: 94iBag
@Swanky just found your thread... I had been using the old “The Makeup” lash primer since I was about 20, then switched to the Nourishing Mascara Base when it became the replacement.... SO sad they discontinued it. I’ve been using this for over 10 years... I stocked up from a local store when I first saw this product disappear from Sephora’s site and read rumours it may be discontinued (told the store “I’ll buy whatever you have in stock!” And walked out with 3 tubes though I had JUST opened a new one) but am rationing my last 2 until I find a suitable replacement. How’s the Dior working out for you?

I’ve tried Givenchy Base Perfecto - no good since they weigh my lashes and is so thick and white on my lashes it looks ridiculous. And the Marc Jacobs Epic Primer- that one works better but still has a beige-white base and I need to make sure it dries down a bit before going in with mascara.
I wish Shiseido kept this amazing product in their line...

Gahhhh! It's not the same! It's better than another one or two I've tried, but it doesn't compare. The Shiseido thickened, curled and lengthened I swear!

The Dior doesn't destroy my curl or leave white residue, but its not magical like I need it to be lol

@Swanky just found your thread... I had been using the old “The Makeup” lash primer since I was about 20, then switched to the Nourishing Mascara Base when it became the replacement.... SO sad they discontinued it. I’ve been using this for over 10 years... I stocked up from a local store when I first saw this product disappear from Sephora’s site and read rumours it may be discontinued (told the store “I’ll buy whatever you have in stock!” And walked out with 3 tubes though I had JUST opened a new one) but am rationing my last 2 until I find a suitable replacement. How’s the Dior working out for you?

I’ve tried Givenchy Base Perfecto - no good since they weigh my lashes and is so thick and white on my lashes it looks ridiculous. And the Marc Jacobs Epic Primer- that one works better but still has a beige-white base and I need to make sure it dries down a bit before going in with mascara.
I wish Shiseido kept this amazing product in their line...

Reactions: karman
Gahhhh! It's not the same! It's better than another one or two I've tried, but it doesn't compare. The Shiseido thickened, curled and lengthened I swear!

The Dior doesn't destroy my curl or leave white residue, but its not magical like I need it to be lol

I totally get what you're saying! This stuff was really magical...there was rarely a mascara I couldn't use because this base would make it work! And if the mascara didn't work with the Shiseido base, then I knew it was no good to begin with.
I've read that "Etude House Mr. Mascara" is good too, if you're still looking to try others out in the future. It also dries clear and holds a curl and I've seen a comparison between it and the SHiseido. It does say it's waterproof though and difficult to remove, which is a no-no for me right now because I recently found out I've developed a reaction to my HG 10+ year eye makeup remover (Clinique Take the Day off), so I have to stick with mascaras that are easily removable with an oil-based balm!

I've searched the internet high and low, have seen it on a few sites but worry about the quality or truth that it's in stock since it's been discontinued a while. :sad:

I haven't heard of that one, not sure I'm willing to deal with waterproof. . . ugh

I totally get what you're saying! This stuff was really magical...there was rarely a mascara I couldn't use because this base would make it work! And if the mascara didn't work with the Shiseido base, then I knew it was no good to begin with.
I've read that "Etude House Mr. Mascara" is good too, if you're still looking to try others out in the future. It also dries clear and holds a curl and I've seen a comparison between it and the SHiseido. It does say it's waterproof though and difficult to remove, which is a no-no for me right now because I recently found out I've developed a reaction to my HG 10+ year eye makeup remover (Clinique Take the Day off), so I have to stick with mascaras that are easily removable with an oil-based balm!

I've searched the internet high and low, have seen it on a few sites but worry about the quality or truth that it's in stock since it's been discontinued a while. :sad:

I haven't heard of that one, not sure I'm willing to deal with waterproof. . . ugh
Swanky! I may be onto something. I’m currently trialing “Pmel essence mascara base”. You can get it from amazon but it ships from Japan. I’ve read rave reviews saying it’s close to the Shiseido but maybe better.
For me it’s a slightly wetter version of the Shiseido and a bit finicky (it dries fast so could clump your lashes together if you wait too long) but my trick is to apply mascara immediately rather than waiting a minute like I did with the Shiseido. Good results so far!!

I’ll look it up today!! :biggrin:
Swanky! I may be onto something. I’m currently trialing “Pmel essence mascara base”. You can get it from amazon but it ships from Japan. I’ve read rave reviews saying it’s close to the Shiseido but maybe better.
For me it’s a slightly wetter version of the Shiseido and a bit finicky (it dries fast so could clump your lashes together if you wait too long) but my trick is to apply mascara immediately rather than waiting a minute like I did with the Shiseido. Good results so far!!

Reactions: karman