Shipping to US

Jan 24, 2009
Hi ladies, hope it's ok to ask about this here. I have a buyer for a bag I have listed on e bay at present. It will have to be shipped to the US. I have looked at Royal Mail options and it seems the cover for Airsure and International signed for is only up to £500. Parcelforce covers the amount I need but this will cost a whacking £70. Any ideas welcome for a less expensive alternative.

We have the same problem here in Australia, shipping cost is extremelly expensive. Insurance, tracking and express method is the best way but they do cost a lot. You need to tell the potential buyer about the cost of shipping and whether they prepare to pay the amount or not. It is very important that the bag arrived safely as a seller is fully responsible for the package. I know the same shipping method is cheaper from Japan. I have paid anywhere between $80 to $90 on the item around $1000 worth. Good luck OP, Sorry I cant help.

Thanks Imt51 As you say, it is very expensive to send the package safely but very necessary. I was hoping that one of the UK ladies could suggest a reliable, less expensive carrier.

I've used international signed for with enhanced compensation the most often, didn't really like Airsure, things seemed to take longer to arrive, and although it's tracked all the way, you can only insure for up to £36 or something puny like that.
I've never had any trouble sending abroad though with international signed for and it can usually be tracked on the receiving countrys postal site.
You just won't be able to insure for more than the £500. Is it worth much more than that ?

Hi Ladyisobel. It's worth another £100. I've asked the buyer if they're willing to accept £500 in compensation if they choose this way cause I'm not willing to lose out by that much. E bay paypal fees make a big enough hole in the sale.

Thanks Luxloves. The link gives much better value for shipping, and insurance cover is good too. The buyer says she will accept £500 if it gets lost. If I refunded her and she didn't have to claim through paypal that would work wouldn't it? I have a written intent from her regarding this.

Idk but if the buyer agree's then it may work out.

Personally I prefer to ship via Royal mail not courier, because it will work out cheaper in customs fee's + courier handling fee for the buyer.

Me too, but the insurance max is £500. Rather silly really that they don't let you add to the insured value at a graduated extra cost. They must lose business because of it. Thanks again luxloves. The link was very useful.

Thanks Luxloves. The link gives much better value for shipping, and insurance cover is good too. The buyer says she will accept £500 if it gets lost. If I refunded her and she didn't have to claim through paypal that would work wouldn't it? I have a written intent from her regarding this.

I think that if the package got lost and your buyer decided to file a Item Not Recieved claim, Paypal would make you refund her in full, despite her agreeing beforehand that 500 is fine. After all it's easy enough to for her to say, "Oh that will be no problem" when nothing has actually happened, but if it does get lost, is the buyer really going to be OK with not getting all her money back? Are you willing to risk the extra 100 pounds on her changing her mind and filing a claim?