Shipping to a 0 feedback buyer

3000$ and they will only cover 1000$ in Canada

I would not ship the item. My suggestion is to email the buyer and be honest - you can't insure the item for the full value and that it is too big of a risk to take. If they neg you, you know you made the best choice for you.

Maybe you can sell the ring locally? Maybe a jewelry store would be interested in buying it.

I just sold a $50 purse to a zero feedback buyer and I am already worried. :nogood:

What is going on with ebay lately? Five years ago when I was a newbe seller my buyers were all normal buyers (with 10+ feedback) and nice and sweet.

I started selling again a couple of weeks ago and got two buyers that have 0 and 5 feedbacks respectively. Since my items didn't cost that much and they paid immediately, I still shipped the items. In your case I would be really cautious. Google that person's name and address to see if something comes up.

I wouldn't go through with this sale! If the buyer does neg you, just respond about how you could not insure the full value across borders and therefore did not complete the sale.

I contacted the buyer and told her I couldn't ship without insurance. I will manage to ship it with USPS insured 5000$, with signature. This way, I can make sure with a tracking number that I am all covered. What do you all think about this solution?

i am not a seller and i do understand that everyone, sellers and buyers, must start from zero but i wouldn't riskit, as a seller, to sell such an expensive item to a seller with NIL feedback with no insurance and no way to cover myself
if the buyer asks for reimbursement for a SNAD how can you protect yourself and prove that your ring is real and not a fake stone?
too complicated, can you sell it somewhere else?

I speak as a buyer only -- everyone starts with 0, and buyers tend to have much lower ratings than sellers (after all it's not our job to spend money on eBay!), so I hate to ding someone for being new. eBay's not a club! It needs the wider public of buyers. My roommate spent half an hour saying, "oh, this is SO CUTE... I'd wear this" to so many items on eBay, on my account, without even saving one to consider to buy. "I don't buy on eBay," she said, categorically, and that was that. It's in the selling community's best interest to make eBay more accessible -- they will get better prices!

BUT I can't imagine, on my part, buying a $3k piece of jewelry on eBay before anything else - even designer CLOTHES (which are hard to fake) make me nervous. I am afraid, after thousands spent on eBay and dozens of successful (and a few unsuccessful) transactions, to buy perfume or chemical goods.

So, the fact that she is buying a ring first is in fact a red flag... ask her if she can find insurance, otherwise it's risky.

if the buyer asks for reimbursement for a SNAD how can you protect yourself and prove that your ring is real and not a fake stone?

Wow - I didn't even think about this!! I think I would cancel and sell it some other way. Are you keeping a copy of the appraisal?? I would definitely do that if you decide to complete the sale.

In have the detailed evaluation from the jeweler, that should do the trick?
As with anything else you have an authentication or appraisal for, the issue would be proving that the item you sent to the buyer is the same one that was appraised.

I'm not commenting on whether I'd sell to this buyer or not because that's something you (as seller) have to decide and base your decision on your own comfort level. I've said it before and I'll repeat again that I'm glad my first sellers didn't refuse my purchases simply because I was new. But I also didn't buy high-fraud items.

The fact that you have to ask what to do indicates your discomfort and as such, you need to come to a decision but understand that you can be negged and ebay probably won't do anything about it.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do because it's a difficult choice.