Shipping parcel post, should I tell her?

Robyn Loraine

Jan 14, 2010
So I recently bought a lovely bag on ebay. Had it authenticate here first, the seller had awesome communication even though she was obviously a newbie (0 FB). She wasn't able to ship it for about 4 days after the auction end, but told me that right away so I didn't feel like I was being duped. I'm usually not very patient, but I was feeling nice. :P

She shipped it today....via parcel post. Her listing says Priority mail but now the bag isn't due to arrive for another week. Luckily she was kind enough to add the signature conf I asked for and so I do have that peace of mind there (despite living in an affluent area, we have a sticky fingers in out neighborhood, I even have a camera outside my porch).

So my question is...if the bag arrives safe and sound, should I tell her my advice about trying to ship priority mail when possible, especially if that's what your listing says? I feel I will probably just ding some stars for shipping speed, but I wont give her a neg if the bag is in the excellent condition she states. But I'm sure lots of people would neg her and if she plans to sell more it may come back to her in the way of dispute as well. She didn't charge very much for shipping, so it's possible even with parcel post because of the size of the bag she ended up eating some shipping charges, though she really didn't have to because I would have gladly paid more for the large priority mail box. Should I tell her?

Was that the only shipping option when you checked out? If so the. You should explain to her she has to ship the way she stated in the listing. Be kind in the way you phrase it.

So I recently bought a lovely bag on ebay. Had it authenticate here first, the seller had awesome communication even though she was obviously a newbie (0 FB). She wasn't able to ship it for about 4 days after the auction end, but told me that right away so I didn't feel like I was being duped. I'm usually not very patient, but I was feeling nice. :P

She shipped it today....via parcel post. Her listing says Priority mail but now the bag isn't due to arrive for another week. Luckily she was kind enough to add the signature conf I asked for and so I do have that peace of mind there (despite living in an affluent area, we have a sticky fingers in out neighborhood, I even have a camera outside my porch).

So my question is...if the bag arrives safe and sound, should I tell her my advice about trying to ship priority mail when possible, especially if that's what your listing says? I feel I will probably just ding some stars for shipping speed, but I wont give her a neg if the bag is in the excellent condition she states. But I'm sure lots of people would neg her and if she plans to sell more it may come back to her in the way of dispute as well. She didn't charge very much for shipping, so it's possible even with parcel post because of the size of the bag she ended up eating some shipping charges, though she really didn't have to because I would have gladly paid more for the large priority mail box. Should I tell her?

You should. I would be mad if someone did that to me. Main reason is because parcel post takes 3-4 weeks to get to Hawaii because it goes on a boat from California to Hawaii. I avoid any listing that says parcel post because of that.
I would let her know in a nice way that when buyers see priority mail on a listing, they expect the seller to ship that way and not a slower way. I've made some mistakes on shipping prices but always ship the way my listing states even if I have to cover the extra because it's my fault I didn't charge enough.
She's lucky you are a nice buyer. I've had buyers in a panic because their item didn't come in 3 days through priority mail. I've gotten angry messages even though the tracking says it's in the same state as they.

Was that the only shipping option when you checked out? If so the. You should explain to her she has to ship the way she stated in the listing. Be kind in the way you phrase it.

Yes, it was about $11 and states "expedited shipping" and "USPS priority mail" as the shipping option. But she shipped parcel post.

This is what I sent:
"Hello!

Thank you for keeping me updated on shipping the bag, I appreciate you adding signature confirmation for me as well.

If you would like I wanted to just give you some advice that may help you if you plan to sell more. I noticed the shipping option in your listing stated "expedited parcel" and that the listing said it would ship via priority mail, but noticed you used parcel service. I believe it is in your best interest to use the same shipping option you originally put in the listing, for ebay seller protection. I'm a little sad it will take another week but as long as the bag is wonderful I will still give you positive feedback, however some people really want their items and are quick to give negative feedback! Also I would also always advise doing shipping confirmation and insurance, just in case. Just a friendly tip, since you seem like an honest and kind person in your messages. I hope your experience with ebay is always a positive one!

I will let you know when the bag arrives, Thanks again!"

Your seller should have sent the item as her listing stated.

If she was not able to do so, she she have notified you beforehand & asked
if you minded & explained what her reason was for changing the shipping method

Your note to her was fine...

Last edited:
Sellers are allowed to upgrade shipping but cannot downgrade. If a listing states parcel post, they can upgrade to priority but if it says priority mail then that's what they have to ship with.

I think your note is fine. She may not have even realized there's a default shipping method in her listings and she did add signature confirmation ($2.50 or so extra) at your request. Her mistake is common for rookies and you let her know that without sounding mean or threatening.

If it was a really large package, she may have been surprised by the cost to ship priority. I did that once when including a gift box with a bag. I was charged a balloon rate which was way more than I figured. I ate the extra because it was my fault and I knew it but she may have made the mistake of shipping the closest method to what she charged for shipping. I'm not excusing it but this may be what happened. I think your message was perfect. She needs to know her mistake was noticed and that the next buyer might not be so kind...because some really aren't. I hope your bag arrives perfect and as described.

I think your note is fine. She may not have even realized there's a default shipping method in her listings and she did add signature confirmation ($2.50 or so extra) at your request. Her mistake is common for rookies and you let her know that without sounding mean or threatening.
+1

I made this mistake when I was a newbie without realizing it. I didn't know there was a default shipping setting and simply listed the item with priority shipping (unplanned) and shipped fedex smart post (which takes FOREVER). The buyer never said anything. However, all mail/packages were delayed around that time because of the holidays and I ended up refunding her shipping costs because of that.

I didn't realize that I didn't ship the way my listing stated until way afterwards. Luckily, my buyer didn't notice and I had refunded shipping anyway (for a different reason) so it worked out. I certainly learned my lesson shortly thereafter and have never done it again.

I would not neg her for this as it could be an honest mistake and I reserve negatives for thieves, liars and scammers.

If it's over $250 (which it was), wouldn't she need to do that anyway? I understand just being new and think she didn't mean anything by it. Thanks, id hoped i came across well so she's not offended!

If it was a really large package, she may have been surprised by the cost to ship priority. I did that once when including a gift box with a bag. I was charged a balloon rate which was way more than I figured. I ate the extra because it was my fault and I knew it but she may have made the mistake of shipping the closest method to what she charged for shipping. I'm not excusing it but this may be what happened. I think your message was perfect. She needs to know her mistake was noticed and that the next buyer might not be so kind...because some really aren't. I hope your bag arrives perfect and as described.

It's a mid sizes bag so i think it probably should have fit in a large flat rate box. But it's possible it might not. I just like priority because always gets to me so fast and i did already have to wait 4 days for her to ship...

Thanks for your well wishes! I hope i love it!

+1

I made this mistake when I was a newbie without realizing it. I didn't know there was a default shipping setting and simply listed the item with priority shipping (unplanned) and shipped fedex smart post (which takes FOREVER). The buyer never said anything. However, all mail/packages were delayed around that time because of the holidays and I ended up refunding her shipping costs because of that.

I didn't realize that I didn't ship the way my listing stated until way afterwards. Luckily, my buyer didn't notice and I had refunded shipping anyway (for a different reason) so it worked out. I certainly learned my lesson shortly thereafter and have never done it again.

I would not neg her for this as it could be an honest mistake and I reserve negatives for thieves, liars and scammers.

Agree & because she is a newie hopefully she will take your note in the manner
in which it was sent which is to be helpful.

And as we have all seen posted many times on various different threads,
negs should be reserved for thieves, liars & scammers!

If it's over $250 (which it was), wouldn't she need to do that anyway? I understand just being new and think she didn't mean anything by it. Thanks, id hoped i came across well so she's not offended!
SC isn't necessary for items < $750. (It used to be $250 for both ebay and PP protection but it's been raised to items where the total payment including shipping is $750 or more.)

You should. I would be mad if someone did that to me. Main reason is because parcel post takes 3-4 weeks to get to Hawaii because it goes on a boat from California to Hawaii. I avoid any listing that says parcel post because of that.
I would let her know in a nice way that when buyers see priority mail on a listing, they expect the seller to ship that way and not a slower way. I've made some mistakes on shipping prices but always ship the way my listing states even if I have to cover the extra because it's my fault I didn't charge enough.
She's lucky you are a nice buyer. I've had buyers in a panic because their item didn't come in 3 days through priority mail. I've gotten angry messages even though the tracking says it's in the same state as they.

i have heard about the "slow boat from china" but never the slow boat form cali!! :faint:unbelievable! i would avoid that method also. it only took me 4 days to get a bag from Japan!

i have heard about the "slow boat from china" but never the slow boat form cali!! :faint:unbelievable! i would avoid that method also. it only took me 4 days to get a bag from Japan!

It's pretty bad. Even H&M uses a similar service! It took me 3 weeks to get my Isabel Marant H&M stuff! And they don't even offer a faster shipping service. I would pay extra to get it faster!