Shipping method question

bhalpop

O.G.
Sep 17, 2007
Okay another sale (finally) another problem. I sell my bag and it is listed as USPS, coming in a large one price box with signature confirmation. Now my buyer pays me and request no signature confirmation as she works and noone is home to sign. But that means no tracking. Is this okay? NO tracking means she can say she never got the bag, right? And my mini rant ..if you have a problem with the shipping why not ask this stuff before bidding and paying???

shinymagpie

vintage bag lady
Mar 29, 2008
Your instincts are right. :biggrin:
You have to send it with tracking. It is part of your role as a seller. If you don't have tracking, you will not have protection from PayPal or eBay. Rule number 1 is cover yourself. Number 2 is make the buyer happy. As you say, why didn't they ask this before bidding and paying? They will get a card from the USPS and they can arrange redelivery. It's pretty simple.

pippaWA

Jan 30, 2009
Okay another sale (finally) another problem. I sell my bag and it is listed as USPS, coming in a large one price box with signature confirmation. Now my buyer pays me and request no signature confirmation as she works and noone is home to sign. But that means no tracking. Is this okay? NO tracking means she can say she never got the bag, right? And my mini rant ..if you have a problem with the shipping why not ask this stuff before bidding and paying???

What is the total cost of the bag+shipping? If less than $250 then you can just buy delivery confirmation. You will still be covered by Paypal's seller protection policy.

If bag+shipping cost more than $250 you HAVE to get signature confirmation or else.

Personally, I buy signature confirmation on anything in excess of $100 because mail delivery people often leave mail unattended in all kinds of places where it gets stolen. If this woman's purse gets stolen from her doorstep I can guarantee you she will be very, very angry. She will then likely try to recoup her costs by blaming it all on you and demanding refund. She can always pick her package up at the PO anyways. Just my $0.02

p-WA

poopsie

How Sentimental
O.G.
Jan 14, 2009
When I was working a 'real' job the hours really weren't compatible with PO hours. Many POs aren't open on Saturday which just makes it tough.

That said it sounds like this buyer is familiar with how Signature Confirmation works and has managed to shop before. Granted it was probably a hassle for her which is why she is whining at you.

Whatever you do don't sacrifice your seller protection to satisfy her self-centered demands.

While delivery/Signature confirmation isn't tracking in the truest sense I have noticed that it shows when it is scanned as it arrives at my main PO before going out to the branch, and again at my local PO. perhaps this can allow her time to arrange for a friend/neighbor/ family member to be there to sign for it. Unless they specifically need HER signature and check IDs that might work.

ninth

Jan 26, 2008
maybe you can get it sent to where she works...I get my packages sent to my mom's office, since i'm at school during the day and nobody is home to sign for packages

i don't know if paypal/eBay still provides protection if you ship it to a different address than the one listed though

bhalpop

O.G.
Sep 17, 2007
Thanks for the sage advice! The bag is less than 250 so I'm torn between changing to UPS or sending with just delivery conformation. I may contact my buyer to see if she's okay with UPS. At least, I would have some protection with UPS. I prefer that route anyway but after having gotten so many request to ship in a flat rate box and the bag is a flattish shape so won't get smooshed being in a flat box, that I changed rather than having to answer all the pleas!

poopsie

How Sentimental
O.G.
Jan 14, 2009
Is the bag PLUS the shipping less than $250? As long as the grand total is less than that I would ship USPS.
UPS can be dicey at best sometimes. I am lucky in that the gal that is the regular on my route is good- she knows where to hide the packages or which neighbor to give them to. Every other driver just leaves them on my steps out in full view. The only reason I haven't had anything go missing is that the lady across the street is always home and she takes them in until I get home.

bunnymasseuse

BunniesN'DaSun
O.G.
May 8, 2008
If it requires sig. conf when the buyer gets it she has every right to deem a "representative" in her presence to sign for the package for her at the USPS as long as she signs the slip for pickup. Her rep would have to sign for her but she could still get the package.

UPS or Fedex, keep in mind that signatures are not default, I know for Fedex there is Direct, indirect and no signature required.