Shipping Insurance on eBay

karolinec1

O.G.
Jul 5, 2007
OK, maybe I'm losing my mind, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that eBay REQUIRES sellers to ship with tracking and insurance for items over $250, or we're not covered in the event that something happens. With Canada Post, this means that shipping overseas can be quite high, so buyers are being fussy about it (and some are being difficult AFTER they've won, even though I have the shipping calculator built in). I've looked all over the eBay help directory, and I can't find that stipulation anywhere?

And does anyone recall why eBay removed the "insurance option" in shipping? Is it because they now require it?

I definitely would, but I get the feeling that some buyers think I'm making the rule up. Now I think I might be, if I can't find it somewhere on eBay's index? Any idea where it says that?

The insurance option is no longer available to buyers, and sellers are not permitted to offer it as an option. As Crazzee said, it covers the seller, not the buyer, so it is up to the seller whether or not to purchase it.

Also, be aware that USPS insurance will only pay out the amount you entered if you have the receipt for the item...otherwise it's the default 100.00

UPS and FedEx have better insurance, but read the fine print as well.

The confusion might be that the term "rule," sounds like sellers are required to buy insurance for items over $250.

Specifically, there is no requirement imposed by ebay. They only require the seller to insure items over $250 IF they expect ebay to stand by them in the event of a problem.

It works the same way, unless you are very brave, :nuts:but it isn't a rule that must be obeyed. :P

Paypal does require signature confirmation for items over $250. Purchasing insurance is up to you, but remember if the item is lost in transit, you are out the money and the item.

eBay's new rule is that you cannot offer it as an option. You can include it in the shipping, but not separately.

My own rule is to insure anything that I don't want to pay for out of pocket and that is generally over $30.

^I'm sorry. I confused insurance with sig confirmation.

Yes ebay requires sig confirmation for items $250 and over.

It is recommended by tpfers to buy insurance regardless of cost for SELLER protection.

Sorry for the confusion.

Paypal does require signature confirmation for items over $250. Purchasing insurance is up to you, but remember if the item is lost in transit, you are out the money and the item.

More accurately, Paypal protection requires that the seller has purchased and used sig confirmation for $250 and up. A seller can buy or not buy tracking info, but would be out of luck in a Paypal claim of INR without it (delivery confirmation is sufficient below $250).

A random shipping question (sorry OP, I didn't want to start a new thread)

But on the USPS website I see
Insure your item up to $5,000 against loss, rifling, and damage. Get the price you need by the declared value of the delivery and additional services listed here.

I've never insurance a higher priced item and I'm about to have to ship a couple this week. So if I insurance a 1,000 item and that item is damaged when it arrives to the buyer, they will replace my item?

Last edited:
I am not sure how that works. I do know that should something bad happen, you are going to have to provide a physical invoice showing the actual cost of the item when YOU acquired it. I would ask a KNOWLEDGEABLE USPS CS rep about the specifics of this policy, and make sure that you get his/her name and whatever rules in writing if need be. Make sure that you clearly understand the policy and coverage they provide... I have heard of some rotten things happening to items in the past that were insured- so cover your bases and ALWAYS INSURE.

A random shipping question (sorry OP, I didn't want to start a new thread)

But on the USPS website I see

I've never insurance a higher priced item and I'm about to have to ship a couple this week. So if I insurance a 1,000 item and that item is damaged when it arrives to the buyer, they will replace my item?

No, they will cut you a check in the amount of insurance you have purchased. $1000 insurance = $1000 check. They will demand that you provide insurance valuation, receipt, bill of sale or something that shows that the value of the item is at least $1000.

p-WA