Shipping from Canada to US, how to track your purchase

baglover2013

Sep 21, 2013
Hi guys,
I purchased items from a seller in Canada. She said she already send the package via Canada post with tracking. My tracking number still have the status that the label has been printed but the postal office has not received the package for shipping. Now, I want to check the US postal to see if maybe the Canada post forgot to scan it but it's on it's way anyway. Does anyone know how to track a package via US post with a tracking number from Canada post? Is it even possible? I want to make sure I can do whatever I can on my end before filing a claim with paypal. Package was sent out on Saturday from Canada to US.

noshoepolish

Labrador Lover
Authenticator
O.G.
Oct 4, 2006
Hi guys,

I purchased items from a seller in Canada. She said she already send the package via Canada post with tracking. My tracking number still have the status that the label has been printed but the postal office has not received the package for shipping. Now, I want to check the US postal to see if maybe the Canada post forgot to scan it but it's on it's way anyway. Does anyone know how to track a package via US post with a tracking number from Canada post? Is it even possible? I want to make sure I can do whatever I can on my end before filing a claim with paypal. Package was sent out on Saturday from Canada to US.

Way way way too early to worry about anything.

baglover2013

Sep 21, 2013
Thanks for the replies.

Seller said she mailed it this past Saturday but tracking still said label printed. I order the item exactly one week ago. I just want to know if I am to still track the package through the USPS with the canada tracking number?

IrisCole

O.G.
Dec 28, 2007
Michigan
www.nikitajade.etsy.com
Thanks for the replies.

Seller said she mailed it this past Saturday but tracking still said label printed. I order the item exactly one week ago. I just want to know if I am to still track the package through the USPS with the canada tracking number?
You should be able to enter the tracking number into the USPS site, and it will show up once it comes through customs. I don't know what her shipping method is equivalent to though, so it may not be scanned at every stop.

Skittle

Jun 25, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

Did you check the tracking number on Canada Post? USPS only tracks after the item has entered US and cleared Customs.

noshoepolish

Labrador Lover
Authenticator
O.G.
Oct 4, 2006
They do not always scan everything. It usually takes about 5 business days to go through customs. You are at day 3 from shipping date.

northerndancer

What, me worry?
O.G.
Dec 30, 2007
The Cool Cool North
If the package was shipped on Saturday you should see some tracking by now at least on the Canadapost website. But it may well just be a glitch. Do not worry - you are fully protected as a buyer if something goes wrong in the shipping. And there is nothing your seller can do about it. You both have to just wait and see.

baglover2013

Sep 21, 2013
Does Canada post not scan anything at all? It's been 7 days and my tracking still show "label printed". Nothing on whether it's been received by them or where it is. And of course USPS has nothing on this tracking number too. For those of you who have orders shipped from Canada, is this always the case where your tracking is not updated? And how long does it take to receive a tracked package to the US from Canada? I just want to track my package in case it's stuck at my postal office (when it comes through) and if there is customs I need to pay before picking it up. What's the point for paying for "tracking" when the service is not even provided?!

IrisCole

O.G.
Dec 28, 2007
Michigan
www.nikitajade.etsy.com
Does Canada post not scan anything at all? It's been 7 days and my tracking still show "label printed". Nothing on whether it's been received by them or where it is. And of course USPS has nothing on this tracking number too. For those of you who have orders shipped from Canada, is this always the case where your tracking is not updated? And how long does it take to receive a tracked package to the US from Canada? I just want to track my package in case it's stuck at my postal office (when it comes through) and if there is customs I need to pay before picking it up. What's the point for paying for "tracking" when the service is not even provided?!
It's possible that it didn't get scanned, but my guess would be that - even though she said she shipped it - it hasn't been taken to the post office yet. The other possibility is that she gave you the customs number instead of the tracking number.

baglover2013

Sep 21, 2013
the tracking number was provided to me by paypal when she check out using their shipping label. I tried reaching out to her but she has not been responding back lately so I don't know, should I wait three weeks before filing for unreceived claim through paypal? I have never ordered from canada before so I don't know how long it takes for the package to arrive.

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
East Coast, USA
the tracking number was provided to me by paypal when she check out using their shipping label. I tried reaching out to her but she has not been responding back lately so I don't know, should I wait three weeks before filing for unreceived claim through paypal? I have never ordered from canada before so I don't know how long it takes for the package to arrive.
I know that for packages being shipped TO Canada, it's very slow.y items are delivered to Australia more quickly than to Canada. I'm not sure whether it is equally slow going from Canada to the United States.

I would give it a while perhaps as you suggested, 3 weeks.

northerndancer

What, me worry?
O.G.
Dec 30, 2007
The Cool Cool North
The canadapost scans are usually quite prompt once the item is "accepted" at the originating post. I can't recall a a time when the first scan didn't show up the same day the package was dropped off. Most, if not all, shipments I have made from Canada to the US have arrived within a week or so. This is definitely not normal. I agree that three weeks should be enough time particularly if you are not receiving any reassuring communications from your seller.