ship to no-Bloomingdale state, tax free?

dunwu

Dec 12, 2009
I remember I once saw somewhere that if you buy a bag at Bloomingdale and have it shipped to a no-Bloomingdale state, the tax could be waived. Does this rule still exist? Thanks for your input.

If you do NOT have a brick & mortar store in your state, you should not be charged tax. This should go for all stores, not just Bloomingdales.

One thing tho is that even if you do not have a brick & mortar store in your state, the store might have a shipping warehouse in your state, which means you would have to pay tax.

Thanks for all the replies:smile:

Any recommendation which Bloomingdale I should call? Which one is friendly to phone order? I live in MI and plan to buy a GST before the price increase.

If you do NOT have a brick & mortar store in your state, you should not be charged tax. This should go for all stores, not just Bloomingdales.

One thing tho is that even if you do not have a brick & mortar store in your state, the store might have a shipping warehouse in your state, which means you would have to pay tax.

Hi NYCavalier, Is there a way I can check if a department store has a warehouse in my State? Michigan specifically. Thanks.

Technically you don't have to pay sales tax when the company doesn't have a store or warehouse in the state, but you still are supposed to pay a use tax on the item, i.e. you pay the same amount you would have with sales tax when you pay your state taxes. No one really does it, which I would guess it the reason why some states are trying to enforce an internet sales tax to avoid people shopping at certain stores for the sole purpose of trying to avoid sales tax. States lose tons of revenue every year due to this.

But, as to your question about the warehouses, could you try putting something in your cart and starting (but not completing) the checkout process? Once you add your ship to address, it should calculate whether any sales tax will be applied.

^^This plus what Lindsay wrote below. I do tons of online shopping (without tax - no physical store) and pay taxes directly to MA each tax return. MA allows a "safe harbor" tax where we don't have to calculate individual items below a certain amount and it's a good deal for me.

Technically you don't have to pay sales tax when the company doesn't have a store or warehouse in the state, but you still are supposed to pay a use tax on the item, i.e. you pay the same amount you would have with sales tax when you pay your state taxes. No one really does it, which I would guess it the reason why some states are trying to enforce an internet sales tax to avoid people shopping at certain stores for the sole purpose of trying to avoid sales tax. States lose tons of revenue every year due to this.

you don't need to pay tax. I bought a LV bag in LV store in Bloomingdale's in NYC.
I had them ship it to Texas. Save me the trouble of carrying it back to Texas. I paid for the shipping (something like $15?) but saved on the tax.

you don't need to pay tax. I bought a LV bag in LV store in Bloomingdale's in NYC.
I had them ship it to Texas. Save me the trouble of carrying it back to Texas. I paid for the shipping (something like $15?) but saved on the tax.

Correction: Yes, you may have to pay sales taxes to your own state for out-of-state purchases (based upon your state's rules). This just means you're not paying it at purchase but owe it back to your state when you file your state tax return. Whether you choose to do so (and whether you'll get caught if you don't) is a different matter. ;)

I just ordered a new Chanel n I did it before ship to CT and there is no Bloomingdales store and there was no tax n this time the sa Kemi told me sth dif I'm confused she said there is still tax since there is Chanel boutique in the store . Er does anybody have any information on this ? I need help plz

I just ordered a new Chanel n I did it before ship to CT and there is no Bloomingdales store and there was no tax n this time the sa Kemi told me sth dif I'm confused she said there is still tax since there is Chanel boutique in the store . Er does anybody have any information on this ? I need help plz

The Chanel Boutique is a separate part of Bloomingdale's and my understanding is that they play by separate rules. If there's a Chanel brick and mortar store in your state then they'll probably charge tax even if you don't have a Bloomingdale's.

The Chanel Boutique is a separate part of Bloomingdale's and my understanding is that they play by separate rules. If there's a Chanel brick and mortar store in your state then they'll probably charge tax even if you don't have a Bloomingdale's.

i searched online and i dont see any Chanel boutique store in my area.
and plus i purchased a bag before with charge and send and it was tax free.