Shining Monkey Fabric Protector Ruined my Finish :'(

I hope they are able to help you. I have used it on my fabric Poppy rocker and my shimmer suede Poppy cinch. It says on the can "gentle enough for your most delicate suede leather." and "it will not affect the look,feel or breath-ability of the protected surfaces."

On a related topic: I once sprayed a spray on my couch that was supposed to kill dust mites and it made the couch smell horrible. Even a cleaning didn't get rid of it. The manufacturer of the spray bought me a new couch.

I hope they can do something. It should have a warning against using it on certain materials like patent. I was going to get something like that for my Whipstitch but have been too afraid something like that would happen. :sad: I am so sorry this happened to you.:hugs:

I hope they are able to help you. I have used it on my fabric Poppy rocker and my shimmer suede Poppy cinch. It says on the can "gentle enough for your most delicate suede leather." and "it will not affect the look,feel or breath-ability of the protected surfaces."

On a related topic: I once sprayed a spray on my couch that was supposed to kill dust mites and it made the couch smell horrible. Even a cleaning didn't get rid of it. The manufacturer of the spray bought me a new couch.

Wow! I am soooo glad you got a new couch. That would have been awful. I hope they make it right too. If not I have learned my lesson.

I am in tears and I am so upset :crybaby: After reading and reading about shining monkey fabric spray I purchased it and used it on my new never used coach glam tote. My bag is damaged, it ruined the finishes on all the leather on the bag as well as dulled the metallic thread. It speckled and dulled the patent leather and regular leather and it totally destroyed the finish on the metallic coach tag. I followed the instructions completely and didn't saturate the bag, held it 8" away, didn't touch it, etc. Here is what the websight says:

Our Shining MonkeyTM revolutionary Fabric Protector was developed to protect the most exotic materials from unsightly spills and stains. This quick and easy to use spray makes protecting your prized interior pain free. Strong enough to protect convertible tops and gentle enough for your most delicate suede or leather. Your fabric will be protected and bead water just like wax on a car!! It will not leave behind any odor, nor will it discolor or leave a sticky film or residue when it dries. It will not affect the look, feel, or breath-ability of the material. Spray and let dry! Follow our instructions!!

I just purchased this bag and was waiting to use it until I protected it and now I am so upset this is awful and my DH is going to be so mad because I sprayed it :cry::cry::cry::crybaby:I am soooo sad.....

I am so sorry! I have never used Shining Monkey but I have heard good things about it from others. I know this is too late to do any good, but it is always a good idea to spot-test products in a obscure spot that doesn't show before using it on the entire bag.

Could you post pics of your bag? Maybe we can offer some advice.

Can you try washing it off with a soft damp rag?

I have never tried this but I have been told that Pledge will restore the shine to patent leather (remember to spot test first!)

Here are pics of my bag. It's hard to capture the finish in pictures. I did try it on the dust bag that came with my glam tote and the bottom of the glam tote first and it seemed fine. But I didn't try it on the patent I just figured it would wipe right off since it's a slick surface. I will try the pledge after I receive a reply from shining monkey. Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply :tender:The last picture shows how shiny my patent was before I sprayed it. Luckily I did not spray the handles.

Attachments

• Damaged Metallic Tag.jpg
    Damaged Metallic Tag.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 614
  • Dulled Trim on Front of Bag.jpg
    Dulled Trim on Front of Bag.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 604
  • Dulled Patent.JPG
    Dulled Patent.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 611
  • Dullet Patent 3.JPG
    Dullet Patent 3.JPG