Shining monkey AFTER patina sets in

If you guys are serious about stopping the patina at a certain stage, or maybe even at fresh virgin vachetta you should contact a reputable leatherworker. I know that they can treat the leather with their special chemicals to fix it at a certain point. It may not be possible with some models, if the vachetta is positioned in a way thats too hard to treat without affecting the other material. LV vachetta is natural untreated leather so essentially they are just adding the treatment.
My mom took her old noe in to a leather repair shop for reconditioning. The patina was REALLY dirty and waterstained, what they did was some sort of steam cleaning and then used solvents. They put this protective wrap around the vachetta to cover the canvas. The patina turned out a deep beautiful shade that was all even (no more waterspots!). Then they sealed it with some type of protectant, the leather guy said it would never change color and no more waterstains would occur.

I, too use a protector, what ever I can find...I've used wilson's, 3m, scotch guard and penguin, on vachetta and cloth bags (antigua and denim)...my sa admits she used it on her denim shoes...she said, LV didn't tell you that, just your friend. All have worked well.

If you guys are serious about stopping the patina at a certain stage, or maybe even at fresh virgin vachetta you should contact a reputable leatherworker. I know that they can treat the leather with their special chemicals to fix it at a certain point. It may not be possible with some models, if the vachetta is positioned in a way thats too hard to treat without affecting the other material. LV vachetta is natural untreated leather so essentially they are just adding the treatment.
My mom took her old noe in to a leather repair shop for reconditioning. The patina was REALLY dirty and waterstained, what they did was some sort of steam cleaning and then used solvents. They put this protective wrap around the vachetta to cover the canvas. The patina turned out a deep beautiful shade that was all even (no more waterspots!). Then they sealed it with some type of protectant, the leather guy said it would never change color and no more waterstains would occur.
I've never heard of this! Interesting!

Shining Monkey is a leather/fabric protector. Same active ingredients as Wilson's Leather Protector, and any leather protector that you find in any store. They just put a protective coating over the leather and/or fabric so that water doesn't seep in and make a horrible looking water stain.

Anyone can get a skin irritation from anything. Just don't get it all over you and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Does't everyone spray their leather jackets, shoes, boots, etc. with some kind of leather protector?? I always make sure I do even before I wear the item because I want it to stay looking nice and not get ruined if I get caught in the rain.

I agree, I hate water spots and stains so I often protect ALL my leather goods vachetta or not.......

seems extreme, I think I would rather replace the vachetta if it was that bad.

Well the plus side is costwise it would be much less than replacing all the leather, I think the whole process ran my mom under $100. This was 3 years ago I believe, and the leather looks nice and even still but with a deep patina.

If there are people out there as well who want to prevent their bags from ever developing patina in the first place, this could be a good way to do so.

Be careful! "Mom, did you put spanking monkey on your new bag yet?" :rolleyes:

princessinpink, it's not wax. I'm not sure, but I believe it's a silicone-based product. The website claims it's "gentle enough for your most delicate suede leather," and that has been my general experience.

I read on my SM bottle, the active ingredient is heptane, which is a hydrophobic (water-hating) molecule... just be careful because all organic compounds like this is extremely flammable! I was apprehensive at first, but thought it would be more likely to get water stains on my bag than have my bag go up in flames! (BTW just learned all this from my summer chemistry class... who knew I'd be applying this knowledge to my bag... teehe!)

Hi there, can someone list the entire list of ingredients on here thats in the SM product as they don't ship to U.K i was hoping to find something just as good over here, maybe just has a different branding then i'll let TPFers know what I find!

Just my 2cents.... Used SM on my first LV, my Totally PM with excellent results! Totally even patina now, 6 months of daily use later. I took her into the LV store when purchasing a new Ebene bag and the managers and several SA gathered around and raved about my "perfect caramel" patina. So I will keep using it!! It is great protection and prevents spots, watermarks, stains, darkened areas from lotion etc.
I will always use it and recommend it!! Great product! $20.00 to protect an investment peice. It's a no brainier for me!!

Shining Monkey is a leather/fabric protector. Same active ingredients as Wilson's Leather Protector, and any leather protector that you find in any store. They just put a protective coating over the leather and/or fabric so that water doesn't seep in and make a horrible looking water stain.

Anyone can get a skin irritation from anything. Just don't get it all over you and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Does't everyone spray their leather jackets, shoes, boots, etc. with some kind of leather protector?? I always make sure I do even before I wear the item because I want it to stay looking nice and not get ruined if I get caught in the rain.
im so jealous of your collection!!