Shellac/OPI Gel Nail Polish

It's really not that difficult to do yourself. One of the main things to remember is do thin coats. You can always add another 2 or 3 coats if the color hasn't reached the opacity you want...just keep each coat thin. The nail care forum has tons of helpful info for DIY gel polish application, and I bet you could do it yourself...and probably with better results than you think you'll get.

Thanks - maybe I'll look into it! Honestly, after my last experience, I've just been doing my own nails with regular polish. I once bought a UV light and gel for my nails, but made the mistake of buying the kind that comes in the flat round containers and is really thick. It was a disaster, so I ended up returning it. Shellac seems so much more user-friendly, though.

I have HUNDREDS of pro polish colors (OPI, Vanique, China Glaze) with an ever growing inventory. I get them at $3-$4.50 per bottle. I use my regular nail polish in between my CND Shellac base coat and top coat. You just need to be sure to cure each coat completely. Even the consistency is not much different between a CND Shellac color and these pro polishes. I have been using them since December, and so have my friends and classmates and it works EXACTLY the same. So it BROADENS your color horizons GREATLY. Especially for those of you who already have a large or decent collection of regular polish. You can't use just any polish though, Some of the mass marketed (drug store) brands will bubble up in the UV light, so be careful. With the 3 brands I mentioned, you are okay. I hope this helps!!! I was sure glad I tried it!
OMG this is amazing. I dont like the Shellace colours at all, compared to my beloved Essie colours. So, how many coats of normal nail polish do you use? And do you dry each coat completely? Doesnt normqil nail polish have a bit of acetone in it?

I definitely think it's worth it to get the opi gel nails:smile: I just tried them for the first time yesterday and I totally love it!!!!! After getting it done professionally I am planning to invest in my own kit soon and so many stores are already carrying the gel nail kits but they are a little pricey if you have to buy everything like the led light and the products needed. I saw one kit by quo just the light is $80 then there's another starting kit sold sepetately for $40 or around there. Any tips for what brand to invest in?!? Thanks
I bought the portable light for $20 from gelish to try it out and ended up getting the Red carpet manicure light for $50 from Ulta. I just looked on the website and they have http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3950155 which I think is a good deal, as it's the light plus starter kit. I was getting the Gelish stuff at Sally before I realized Ulta has more colours, is cheaper and is the SAME stuff, just different name on the bottle. Red Carpet manicure is good. I've never had the OPI or Shellac stuff since I've done it myself but I LOVE gelish and RCM. My nails are even growing longer since it stops them from breaking.

Lauralai21 said:
I bought the portable light for $20 from gelish to try it out and ended up getting the Red carpet manicure light for $50 from Ulta. I just looked on the website and they have http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3950155 which I think is a good deal, as it's the light plus starter kit. I was getting the Gelish stuff at Sally before I realized Ulta has more colours, is cheaper and is the SAME stuff, just different name on the bottle. Red Carpet manicure is good. I've never had the OPI or Shellac stuff since I've done it myself but I LOVE gelish and RCM. My nails are even growing longer since it stops them from breaking.

Ohh ok thanks for the help!!! I will def look into getting from ulta but just a questions do u know if they ship it to Canada?! I heard the ulta is only in the us unless there is a new store that opened somewhere near me!!! Thanks again for the help!!!

Ohh ok thanks for the help!!! I will def look into getting from ulta but just a questions do u know if they ship it to Canada?! I heard the ulta is only in the us unless there is a new store that opened somewhere near me!!! Thanks again for the help!!!

They don't ship to Canada sorry. I went across the border to get it at the local Ulta. If you live near the border that could be an option. If not you might need to look elsewhere. Sally's lights are a lot more money for the same thing. You can get them in Canada though. Some lights you can order off amazon, you could look at those. I didn't have the patience to wait for one to be mailed though.

Thanks so much for your help!!! I do live near try border I will definitely try to go to ulta!!! I hate that they dont ship here or have the same store :sad: I will let u know when I get it!!!!!! Thanks so much for your help

Def go over to the nail forum and check out the very long thread. Those ladies rock! Thanks to them I do my own shellac/gelish etc now :smile: I bought the curing lamp on eBay for 15 bucks and the polishes from amazon and it was the best investment ever!

I have been using gel polish for about a year and LOVE it. But my nail mama(pro nail tech but is like a 2nd mother to me) and I couldn't keep it from chipping badly. I have FINALLY found that I have to really rough up my natural nail before applying the "foundation/base coat." Nail buffers and files were not enough. I ended up wandering into my garage and finding the perfect grit of sandpaper and using that to gently rough the surface. I use a dehydrator (bond-aid,etc) rough it with the paper, dehydrate again and then do the gel polish steps as usual, and WATCH OUT my mani lasts for 3 weeks! Keeping in mind that I run a construction company and am, for fun, restoring a 72 chevy truck, so my nails take a licking. Now, don't everyone freak out and start taking the belt sander to their nails; there is definitely something to be said about MODERATION. But in my case, roughing the surface of my nail was the one key to keeping my sog mani's looking FRESSSSHHHHH

I loved Shellac but used it only to get my nails past a certain length... and then I had to deal with some breakage because of the roughing up process. but the shine is addictive, no doubt!

I bought the Mally gel nail kit from QVC, and it is definitely one of the best purchases I've ever made. I've been using it since August and it has more than paid for itself. My nails are longer and in better shape than they've been in in years.