Shearling Jacket. Is it worth it?

candicelulu

Sep 19, 2017
Hi! I'm thinking of getting a jacket from Acne Studios. My only concern is that the jacket is made from 100% lamb shearling, both inside and out. The color is ecru (a cream/beige-ish color). It's absolutely adorable but I don't know if maintenance is going to be a pain. I've never owned a shearling jacket so I'm not entirely sure how to take care of it. How easily do shearling jackets attract dirt/stains? How do I clean them? Since the jacket I want to buy is a light-colored one, do I have to worry about color transfers from dark jeans or dark-colored handbags? It's pretty much an investment piece so I really want to make sure that I'm not wasting my money on something that will look worn within 1 year. If you have any advice, please let me know. Thank you so much!

I have several shearling, but none from Acne. As someone who has purchased an expensive light colored coat from loro piana, I don't recommend it, unless you have a lifestyle that doesn't involve public transportation, large crowded cities, and perennially nice weather. If it is, then it will get dirty quickly. Or, it will become a special occasion jacket, aka low cost per wear. If u can afford that, you are lucky!

I do recommend shearling tho, very warm and a nice alternative to down jackets. I'd recommend getting the black acne one.

Oooo! Shearling! So cozy. Is the exterier finish sueded or glazed? Sueded gets dirty quicker. As you’ve outlined, a light shearling coat is high maintenance, and calls for specialized dry cleaning services ($$), so investment is ongoing. One more thing, shearling does not do well in rain and snow - water stains - and could get soggy fast despite the lanolin content of the wool. So go into the purchase with eyes wide open, and enjoy!

Reactions: Flip88
Oooo! Shearling! So cozy. Is the exterier finish sueded or glazed? Sueded gets dirty quicker. As you’ve outlined, a light shearling coat is high maintenance, and calls for specialized dry cleaning services ($$), so investment is ongoing. One more thing, shearling does not do well in rain and snow - water stains - and could get soggy fast despite the lanolin content of the wool. So go into the purchase with eyes wide open, and enjoy!

It’s neither sueded nor glazed I believe. It’s one of those jackets where the exterior finish is exactly like the interior, if that makes sense. So the exterior has that same fluffy, cozy feel. Please see picture.
Farfetch-Acne-Studios-2.jpg

It’s neither sueded nor glazed I believe. It’s one of those jackets where the exterior finish is exactly like the interior, if that makes sense. So the exterior has that same fluffy, cozy feel. Please see picture.
Farfetch-Acne-Studios-2.jpg
Beautiful jacket.:heart: Thanks for the pic. Well, it won’t get dirty as fast as a sueded finish, but is still high maintenance. Shearling wears well and is warm, but doesn’t do well in rain or snow. Good luck with your decision.

I'm a shearling addict. Never had any problems with dirt ( as long as you don't abuse it )
Maintenance, never needed to clean them ( but with so many coats they get rotated often and because of this none are worn daily )
Color transfer on the fur part isn't likely, light colored suede parts can pick up transfer.
Shoulder straps are a no no with any fur coat/jacket, it can lead to balding in that area.
The jacket in the pic is a low maintenance jacket, it would be one of the easiest to take care of :smile:
They can easily last several decades

Reactions: Flip88