Sharing Something I Saw about H and India...

A sari from Hermes silk would be breathtaking, but you can't beat the price of Indian silks. I was able to upholster six dining room chairs with some gorgeous silk fabric I purchased in New Delhi for only 50 USD!

This has been a long time coming, and I'm glad to see Hermès stepping up as the first. I did research on sari production in India in 1997/98, which corresponded with the first real wave of high-end fashion saris and a runway fashion scene in India. As a result of this new energy, artisans were able to bring back and advance traditional practices while also making a profit for the first time since the rise of mass-produced polyester saris; I interviewed a number of master craftsmen and women aided by this change in the industry. My hope is that Hermès taps into those traditional weavers, dyers, and other artisans for the sari production. The result could be glorious.

Interesting article. I had to LOL at the following :

"What Hermès wants isn't so much a connection with Indian culture. It is a connection with Indian cash"

Thanks for posting!

This has been a long time coming, and I'm glad to see Hermès stepping up as the first. I did research on sari production in India in 1997/98, which corresponded with the first real wave of high-end fashion saris and a runway fashion scene in India. As a result of this new energy, artisans were able to bring back and advance traditional practices while also making a profit for the first time since the rise of mass-produced polyester saris; I interviewed a number of master craftsmen and women aided by this change in the industry. My hope is that Hermès taps into those traditional weavers, dyers, and other artisans for the sari production. The result could be glorious.

How fascinating! That must have been a lot of fun. I do give Hermes props for preserving traditional craftsmanship, and I hope they use the local craftsmen, too.