Share your strategies, tactics, stories of how to avoid Ban Island

Fabfashion

O.G.
Feb 18, 2010
It pains me to admit (but then I'm among H lovers here so I'm sure you can empathize) that I've become an H addict. Perhaps I've always been addicted but only just a little. :P I've been buying H since 2001 starting with 2 silk scarves. Over the years I bought new scarves here and there and a few bags usually during my travels. Then early this year I discovered the recommended resellers, the authentication and the ebay/web finds threads, and the rest is history.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with all my H items. I'm just hoping I could learn from my dear tPFer friends how to stay sane, stick to the budget and not go ga-ga over all the new beautiful items that H comes out with each season to tantalize and fuel our desires or that hard-to-find/HG/why-didn't-I-see-that-when-it-first-came-out H items that pop up online now and then. Please share your strategy, tactics, funny stories. So I haven't had to sneak anything into the house just yet but I've been saying a couple of hundred dollars whenever my DH asked me how much that new H scarf is. ;)

Mod, if this topic already exists somewhere, please remove or move. Thanks much!

Fabfashion, I used to say I'm a bag addict but now I am simply an H addict.

My problem is I have an awesome SA who always come through for me. I wanted a K she got me a K. I wanted a KC in [insert a very specific spec] and again she got it for me. Last week she asked me what's next and I gave her my list. Now I am scared that she will come up with those items soon....my money tree really needs a break.

I don't have a good advise for you. But know that I am in the same boat.

Unfortunately the scarcity of wish list items has me perpetually in "pounce" mode, rather than "limit" mode. This is the magic of H- you fall in love with the beauty of the products; amazed at how deep and wide it runs through the house. And all of a sudden, it's "my collection 'needs' this, and that, that, and that…" I'm not sure there is an effective strategy to deal with this. I'm too busy strategizing how to get the next wish list items...

Oh, interesting topic! :smile: Love strategies! ;)

My H-strategy simply is to plan my purchases in advance and long term to take control of the addiction and avoid to go with a feeling of "oh, I also want..." every time I see something I enjoy :biggrin:. Like; how many bags do I need/want to own? In what colour/model? I don't want to say yes or get tempted to buy anything else than what I originally decided that I have time to use or get use of.

I also decide what I want for one season in advance, like one bag, one shawl and a pair of boots for example and try to stay with that and don't buy other things. Or I could decided I don't want anything one season, but more another one...

I realize shopping and H is for fun, but addiction needs to be controlled by some discipline ;p

I need to follow this as well. I'm definitely in pounce mode. I know that I *am* the kind of person to regret things I didn't get years later and I also like projects (love the search, get very involved in whatever I am interested in at the moment). I'm trying to be good given that we are just starting some home renovations, but I see things and worry I won't find them again. Part of it is being aware that things will become available again. They may be a different price, or preloved instead of new, or take some time to find, but even with the "scarcity" of H, there is still a LOT of stuff out there.

That said, I'm now considering bidding on a Japanese auction site for a coveted scarf thanks to a TPFer, plus getting a scarf for my upcoming trip to the races, and still stalking a barenia on ebay! And visitng my SA next week!!!!!

I think I'm a relatively sensible H'addict - but my purchases have always been spontaneous, all specifically filling a 'need' in my wardrobe, 'necessities' and homewares. Really only one misfire in all my purchases of a sale sweater that proved too fragile to actually wear.

I've simple rationalized over the years that I only need a few things in life, but I want those things to be the best and most considered, where it counts. That's how I've avoided ban island :smile:

Fabfashion, I used to say I'm a bag addict but now I am simply an H addict.

My problem is I have an awesome SA who always come through for me. I wanted a K she got me a K. I wanted a KC in [insert a very specific spec] and again she got it for me. Last week she asked me what's next and I gave her my list. Now I am scared that she will come up with those items soon....my money tree really needs a break.

I don't have a good advise for you. But know that I am in the same boat.

This for me as well!! My SA is amazing & will find whatever I'm looking for & then more things that I didn't even think of! When my phone rings & it's H I think "OH MY GOD. What has she found for me now that I'm not going to be able to say no to?!?"

I've only been buying H for 5 years and my collection of scarfs and bags have grown quite a bit. I use to think that I need a scarf in each color so I started collecting. With each new season now, I will pick out the ones that I haven't worn much and get rid of it. Then buy a new one as a replacement scarf. It may sound like a tough decision as their designs are so lovely but you'll feel better after doing this exercise.

My H-strategy simply is to plan my purchases in advance and long term to take control of the addiction and avoid to go with a feeling of "oh, I also want..." every time I see something I enjoy :biggrin:. Like; how many bags do I need/want to own? In what colour/model? I don't want to say yes or get tempted to buy anything else than what I originally decided that I have time to use or get use of.

I also decide what I want for one season in advance, like one bag, one shawl and a pair of boots for example and try to stay with that and don't buy other things. Or I could decided I don't want anything one season, but more another one...

I realize shopping and H is for fun, but addiction needs to be controlled by some discipline ;p

This! I do the same thing! I went to the nerdy side. I made a spreadsheet with my long term wish list for H purses. I have turned down many different colors and leathers for B's and K's over the years. But this is did pay off for me since my SA finally got me a BBK 28! I don't buy anything I don't absolutely love. Scarves are a little harder. I do make sure I really love the cw's. I have a decent collection of H items but everything has a purpose is worn/used at least once a year if not on a regular basis. One of the reasons is I don't want to become one of those horror stories of being in debt because of shopping.

This! I do the same thing! I went to the nerdy side. I made a spreadsheet with my long term wish list for H purses. I turned down many different colors and leathers for B's and K's over the years. But no regrets since my SA finally got me a BBK 28! I don't buy anything I don't absolutely love. Scarves are a little harder. I do make sure I really love the cw's. I have a decent collection of H items but everything has a purpose is worn/used at least once a year if not on a regular basis. One of the reasons is I don't want to become one of those horror stories of being in debt because of shopping.

+1. My rule is if I can't pay for it in cash then I don't buy it. Even if I pay with cc I have to pay it off in the next billing cycle.

I do this too -- I always pay with CC, for both the points/cash back and the buyer's protection, but always pay it off in full the first billing cycle.

Also have to admit that DH keeps me honest. I have never lied to him about a large purchase or hidden a purchase from him, and I don't ever want to start. He appreciates H, and sharing stuff with him is part of the fun. Plus, I just don't want to go down the road of deception.

I'm lucky to have an assortment of scarves and jewelry and a few bags, but budget dictates that if I get one thing, it will probably be at the expense of something else, so I have to decide carefully!

This sounds like a very sensible approach. If you don't mind revealing, could you share with us what you feel are the core H items in your wardrobe? And what is the process you go through for deciding what you wish to add?

1. Run out of room space till it's so bad you cannot squeeze another scarf box in.

2. Be struck with skunk leather issues so have to avoid purchases for rest of the year.