>>> Share your story with me - how did you get your first Birkin?

Hi! I have been shopping at Hermes since 2005, but for years I only bought scarves and not religiously. Only maybe 1 or 2 a year. And sometimes I’d skip a few years without entering into an Hermes store. Then in late 2017, I decided I was ready to purchase my first Birkin. I bought a few scarves and bracelets, things I really really loved. And I got my first Birkin 5 months later, a 30cm Gold Birkin. I love her. I’ve since bought several more bags and a LOT more scarves as that’s still my first love.

As a long time LV customer, I never really gave much thought to Hermes bags. Although as an equestrian I was drawn to the heritage and history of the brand. Over the years I purchased a few scarves and enamel bracelets. After a unpleasant experience at LV in Las Vegas, I went next door to Hermes. I left with a black Evelyne 29. After returning to my home I visited my Hermes store carrying my new Evelyne. The SA that I had been working with commented that she would like to sell me a bag. I loved my Evelyne so much I ended up purchasing a 33 from her. I didn't give it a lot of thought beyond that.

Later that Fall my husband and I were shopping for a gift when my SA said she had something to show me. When she came back with a large box, both my husband and I looked at each other. Both wondering is that what we think it might be?? Her comment when opening the box was "let's play"!! She upwrapped a Gold 35 Togo Birkin with Gold hardware. She commented that she knew I would probably prefer Silver but just wanted to get my reaction. Well needless to say that beautiful bag went home with me that day! Yes indeed as others have said, "it's a slippery slope"! :smile: :heart:

I have a wonderful SA. I never ever mentioned wanting a bag. In fact, told him "I'll be your only client that won't ask you for a Birkin or a Kelly." Just wasn't a big fan. I went in to pick up a pair of loafers and he offered me a Black Epsom Birkin 30. He literally begged me "just take a look at it." Gorgeous, but I turned it down because it was palladium hardware. My friend told me I was nuts and I went back to the store and got it. It's my favorite bag. It's the bag I never knew I needed.

I was shopping with my SA in May. I bought little things here and there and saw them probably once a month. In October they asked me
When I’d like to get my Birkin. I asked for Halloween so I’ll easily remember it’s “Birthday”. Sure enough I went in on Hallowe’en and there was a Birkin for me. I was floored. I knew they’d come through but I’d worried it might’ve been pie in the sky.

I finally got my 1st Birkin yesterday, in gold in Togo leather with GWH. I stArted getting interested in the brand when I bought myself oran sandals for Christmas vi online but when they came in, I picked the wrong size so I wanted to return it to the store. At that time, I wasn’t really interested on having a Birkin since I thought it’s not my style. One day, my old friend texted me that she finally got the bag of her dreams. She showed me a picture of her bleu nuit B25 in PHW and I was mesmerized! I finally told my DH that I wanted a Birkin n after convincing him that it is a great investment and that It would never loss its value, he became supportive. After that, I started searching online on how to get a Birkin offer and met the cutest SA ever after my 3rd try at my local boutique. I was very diligent on coming to the store atleast every month or every other. My purchases are fine jewelry (H bangle and Kelly ring), mini pop-H earrings and necklaces, clic-clac H, scarves, shoes, RTW, make-up, and perfume. Yesterday was a surprise. I came in for another pair of Oran sandals. Upon check out, I mentioned to him that I wanted to check out another pair of shoes. He said ok let me take a look at it in the back. I said ok so I waited for approximately 20 mins. I even called him since I couldn’t wait anymore and told him I would just check out the shoes next time. When he came out, he was carrying this huge orange box and had that smile on his face. My heart started palpitating. He took me to a private room and showed me my first Birkin ever. My first impression of the B25 is that it is tiny but beautiful and the more that I look at it, the more I feel blessed.

I got my first, and only, Birkin during the pandemic. I had never considered one, even though my SA had told me that she’d help me get any bag I wanted. (At the time, I did not know that was an unusual offer. :facepalm:) I insisted that I only wanted H clutches. I’ve never used tote styles much, as I have always found them heavy. Then I saw a Birkin on the tpf marketplace with engraved hardware. The retired equestrian in me was hooked. The lovely and generous seller had to help me navigate the PayPal system, but then she was mine.

I sent her to Docride and she helped me design a new engraved sterling pattern for the hardware. She also had an old school silversmith who could do the engraving. I based the design on scrolls and flowers, as I had just fallen in love with H Passifolia china.

The final product has surpassed my expectations and I consider her a work of art. She’s my Cowgirl Birkin. I still don’t carry her much. She’s a 30, which is a big bag to me. She’s buffalo and about 20 years old, but I love her to death.

I would call myself a seasonal shopper before I fell into the H-trap. I would come in around the holidays to purchase gifts for friends and clients but never really for myself. Right before Christmas, I was in for some silks and my SA asked me if I would be interested in looking at leather and Sind so has time I said sure and I liked the mini bolide and roulis but the roulis did not have the color or size I wanted so not thinking much of it, I was ready to check out but then my SA said to give him a moment and he came back with 2 boxes and told me to follow him. 1 was a c24 noir phw and a b30 Croc GHW. I was shocked since I had no expressed any wishes for bags. I passed on the b30 because it didn’t suit my lifestyle. But I quickly snatched up the c24 and since then have steadily fallen down the orange hill. Hubs says he should never have asked me to pick up gifts for clients as now his wallet is quite damaged :lol:

My husband got up in the morning and said “I got the feeling that you will get a birkin today”. It was only a few days after I joked about I wanted one. I was sure he was just making fun about how hermes made it so mysterious. On our way to the airport, we stopped by the Hermes store, bought a scarf and he asked if they have one available before we paid. The SA didn’t say anything and disappeared for a long time. We had no idea what it meant at the time and were actually a bit worried about missing our flight. She dragged out a plastic wrapped box and asked us to follow her to go to the fitting room. It all happened so quickly that I had to ask my husband why we were here to pay for the scarf. A beautiful birkin was revealed and the rest became history. BTW, I scratched the birkin within days and it made it so easy to use the bag afterwards.

I won one when I was 18! I’m going to tell this as best as I remember because I just turned 37 a few days ago so it has been some time! It was 2004 and post the Sex and the City episode featuring the Birkin (2001), the bag was hot and the waitlist was at six years at that point. Being a young closeted gay man in small town Michigan, I was watching SATC all the time and was starting my love affair with fashion and designers. Living nowhere near any real shopping (and at that time barely any luxury had real e-commerce), I was really only exposed to designer stuff I would score at TJ Maxx here and there. Along came the website Bluefly and it changed everything for me. During that time, they were basically a high end designer discount retailer and they carried such good stuff. I shopped from there quite often and spent a lot of time on their website.

One day, they post a “Win A Birkin” promotion that by playing an online slot game, you had the chance to instantly win a birkin. It had a bunch of other prizes but the grand prize was the bag. The first day I played, I also clicked on the option to get a daily play reminder. I was also the kid that spent extra time reading the details and noticed in the fine print that if no one won the bag as an “instant prize” it would then be raffled off and each time you played the game would count as an entry in that raffle. Those two things become important later on. I dutifully play every day and after a month or so, the promotion disappears from website and I totally forgot about it.

I want to say it was a month or so later, I am checking my email and I see one from an email address I don’t recognize and when I open it, it tells me I have won the grand prize! The Birkin was mine! The email further explains that I will be receiving an affidavit that I need to read and sign, have notarized, and have overnighted back to Manhattan in order to claim the prize. I instantly thought I was getting scammed and they were trying to get my social security number or something but also equally excited because what if I really did win?! My Dad was always paranoid about identity theft so my sirens were going off!!

I decide the only thing to do is call their customer service directly. I tell the young man that answers that I feel foolish for even calling and half-falling for a scam, but that I had received an email from an odd address saying I had won the contest. He asks for my full name and a few minutes later he gets back on the line and very excitedly tells me that I did in fact win the prize and that for legal reasons, they had an outside company doing their promotions and that’s why the email came from a strange address. I sat there in shock for about 10 minutes before calling my parents and telling them the whole story in one breathless sentence.

A few days later I received the affidavit via overnight signed delivery. I barely read it but knew to take it to my friends accountant sister to make sure it was legit, she notarized it for me, and I overnighted it back. The contract said I had to return the paperwork within 72 hours of signing for it’s delivery and also that the prize would be delivered 8-12 weeks after they received it. They took each and every single one of those 12 weeks to deliver which was also the entirety of my summer before starting college. The day it arrived, I ran it right up to my room to examine it. I’d just had a mythical unicorn delivered to me and I knew I had to do it in private. That’s a tradition I continue to this day.

There it was: a black 35 GHW Birkin sitting on my bed!!! Mind you, at that age I had a few Coach bags and maybe one Louis bag, so I was completely taken aback by the entire thing: the big orange box, the way all the accessories were presented, the way it was packaged, my mind was blown! It was the first time I had ever seen a raincoat for a bag! I pulled it out, carried it in my room for a few minutes and put it away.

My family slowly filtered in and asked to see it and once my parents saw it, my Dad asked me what I was going to do with it. I couldn’t fathom the thought of carrying a “purse” at that age and all my bags were strictly messenger bags, so I told him I was going to sell it. He offered to pay me retail for it and offered it to my Mom but she declined because she said she didn’t feel right owning such an expensive handbag. I quickly posted and sold it on eBay.

I have mixed feelings about selling it to this day. On one hand, I was not in a place in life that I would have been comfortable carrying it. I was still very insecure and carrying a “woman’s bag” was a sure fire way of having my sexuality questioned and I was not ready for that. At this age, probably from 30 on, I would proudly swing that bag all around town. However, it makes for a really good story.

I won one when I was 18! I’m going to tell this as best as I remember because I just turned 37 a few days ago so it has been some time! It was 2004 and post the Sex and the City episode featuring the Birkin (2001), the bag was hot and the waitlist was at six years at that point. Being a young closeted gay man in small town Michigan, I was watching SATC all the time and was starting my love affair with fashion and designers. Living nowhere near any real shopping (and at that time barely any luxury had real e-commerce), I was really only exposed to designer stuff I would score at TJ Maxx here and there. Along came the website Bluefly and it changed everything for me. During that time, they were basically a high end designer discount retailer and they carried such good stuff. I shopped from there quite often and spent a lot of time on their website.

One day, they post a “Win A Birkin” promotion that by playing an online slot game, you had the chance to instantly win a birkin. It had a bunch of other prizes but the grand prize was the bag. The first day I played, I also clicked on the option to get a daily play reminder. I was also the kid that spent extra time reading the details and noticed in the fine print that if no one won the bag as an “instant prize” it would then be raffled off and each time you played the game would count as an entry in that raffle. Those two things become important later on. I dutifully play every day and after a month or so, the promotion disappears from website and I totally forgot about it.

I want to say it was a month or so later, I am checking my email and I see one from an email address I don’t recognize and when I open it, it tells me I have won the grand prize! The Birkin was mine! The email further explains that I will be receiving an affidavit that I need to read and sign, have notarized, and have overnighted back to Manhattan in order to claim the prize. I instantly thought I was getting scammed and they were trying to get my social security number or something but also equally excited because what if I really did win?! My Dad was always paranoid about identity theft so my sirens were going off!!

I decide the only thing to do is call their customer service directly. I tell the young man that answers that I feel foolish for even calling and half-falling for a scam, but that I had received an email from an odd address saying I had won the contest. He asks for my full name and a few minutes later he gets back on the line and very excitedly tells me that I did in fact win the prize and that for legal reasons, they had an outside company doing their promotions and that’s why the email came from a strange address. I sat there in shock for about 10 minutes before calling my parents and telling them the whole story in one breathless sentence.

A few days later I received the affidavit via overnight signed delivery. I barely read it but knew to take it to my friends accountant sister to make sure it was legit, she notarized it for me, and I overnighted it back. The contract said I had to return the paperwork within 72 hours of signing for it’s delivery and also that the prize would be delivered 8-12 weeks after they received it. They took each and every single one of those 12 weeks to deliver which was also the entirety of my summer before starting college. The day it arrived, I ran it right up to my room to examine it. I’d just had a mythical unicorn delivered to me and I knew I had to do it in private. That’s a tradition I continue to this day.

There it was: a black 35 GHW Birkin sitting on my bed!!! Mind you, at that age I had a few Coach bags and maybe one Louis bag, so I was completely taken aback by the entire thing: the big orange box, the way all the accessories were presented, the way it was packaged, my mind was blown! It was the first time I had ever seen a raincoat for a bag! I pulled it out, carried it in my room for a few minutes and put it away.

My family slowly filtered in and asked to see it and once my parents saw it, my Dad asked me what I was going to do with it. I couldn’t fathom the thought of carrying a “purse” at that age and all my bags were strictly messenger bags, so I told him I was going to sell it. He offered to pay me retail for it and offered it to my Mom but she declined because she said she didn’t feel right owning such an expensive handbag. I quickly posted and sold it on eBay.

I have mixed feelings about selling it to this day. On one hand, I was not in a place in life that I would have been comfortable carrying it. I was still very insecure and carrying a “woman’s bag” was a sure fire way of having my sexuality questioned and I was not ready for that. At this age, probably from 30 on, I would proudly swing that bag all around town. However, it makes for a really good story.

I love this story!! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. :heart:

I love this story!! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. :heart:
Absolutely! Thanks for letting me share. It really is such a fun story to tell and it also has helped me put a few SA’s in their place when they try to tell me about stuff as if I had no clue. Every now and then I drop the, “well, once you’ve had and sold a birkin at 18, nothing compares,” when the attitudes go flying.

I don’t have many people in my life that actively share my passion for luxury bags and leather goods and such so when I found this website years and years ago, I was like, “oh my god, my people!” Weirdly, I never made an account until somewhat recently.

Wow! +1 with @loh

fabulous story! Thank you for sharing it!

i got my first one from @docride. It was a vache naturale 30B, phw, that she was turning black. She was documenting the process for us here, and I loved watching it. I followed the progress; fell in love with that bag; and eventually purchased. my mom has the 30B now, and i have a 30B black barenia, brushed phw , also reconditioned by @docride, to replace it.

Last edited: