Share Your Edited Bag Closet Journey......

You seem overwhelmed. If you are overwhelmed it is never a good idea to get rid of things. Congrats on the little one. They say it can take a year for your hormones are balanced so maybe it's best to wait that out?

If you really want your numbers down you can always start with Kon Mari. First get all your bags in one place. Then hold them to see how you feel. This sounds insane but if we were a bit more rational we would all own one bag and not ramble our time away about bags we own, bags we want an all those other bags out there.

If I'm very rational I could suggest that you start with your multiples but bags are emotion. If you doubt letting go of a bag, do not let it go. Some people say that a bag should be used but don't let go of a classic bag because it does not suit your needs now. Your kid will grow up and there will be a time for small bags again. These are your bags and there is no need to get rid of them just because the thought of them somehow doesn't sit well with you anymore.

Do not look at helpfull things that work for other people, but look at yourself. Why do you want your number down? Are you prone to regret or do you move along quite quickly? How often do you change styles? If you reason a bag away, how do you feel about it?

I do have to say that every purge is hard but you can get used to it. At first you are attatched to every bag. The bag that you never wear but makes you happy to look at is not the same as the bag you don't actually like but wear every day. Both have a place but you'll recognise the background noise. If you really don’t know where to start, just start with the bags you know you love and let them be. Just wear the ones you're not sure about for a week or a month and after that most people know what to do with it. You know if it fits, if it's practical and most of all if you are attatched to it or not.

I am so sorry this was so long. I really hope it helps. Enjoy the newborn and have fun cleaning out your closet.
Thank you for the congrats! She is wonderful, but I think you are right that I am a bit overwhelmed (with bags, yes, but also probably a bit with life changes) - it probably best not to make rash decisions when overwhelmed! I have thought about doing Kon Mari with my bags. I just need to find the time to do so. Baby girl doesn't really nap for more than 30-40 minutes at a time on her own, and Kon Mari when she's awake definitely isn't going to happen so right now it's just on a very long "to do, someday" list. :lol:

I do very much appreciate the recognition that bags are emotion - they definitely are for me - and not to get rid of one if I doubt letting it go. The questions you ask are helpful. I want my number down because it just feels excessive. I aspire to be a minimal, capsule collection, signature style type person. I won't ever be - I know that. But if I could move a little bit in that direction, that would be nice. I am definitely prone to regret and do have some regrets over bags I've already sold - to the point that I've considered searching for them and buying them again. :facepalm: I mean, I haven't actually done so, but I haven't ruled out the possibility of doing so either. Fashion-wise, I'm drawn to all different styles, but with my bags I could stick with the same bag for months. I don't and have been really making an effort to change out my bags and use them all, but I definitely used to use the same bags for months and was fine with it. I can easily be talked in and out of things, so I can definitely reason away a bag and be fine with it...but that's not to say that I won't want it back down the line.

I think one of my biggest issues is bags I have that I am holding onto because I know they're good quality and others like them, but I'm not completely sure if I love them. My vintage Coach Court bag comes to mind. I remember a blogger raving about it, and I immediate went on the hunt to find one. I'm very easily influenced! I finally got one, and I like it fine, but I don't know if I like it because I truly do or if it's because I feel like I should. Everyone raves about vintage Coach leather, and it's true - it is wonderful leather. And it's similar in style to the Pochette Metis that is in such high demand, but I actually like the Court better than the Pochette Metis, so points there. But, I'm not sure it's a bag I would have ever been drawn to if not for the blogger or likeness to the Pochette Metis, and the likeness to the Pochette Metis only "matters" because it's a style everyone seems to love and thinks is so practical.

I could probably get rid of the Court and be fine. I don't have a sentimental attachment to it, and I'm not entirely sure it fulfills a purpose that can't be fulfilled by other bags I like better. BUT, I can't seem to actually let it go because I'm keep going back to what great quality it is and how it's a style everyone seems to love so much. I know my bags should be serving a purpose for ME and it shouldn't matter what others think or say. And I don't care what others think or say in terms of any sort of perceived prestige or lack thereof, but I do fear I'll regret getting rid of a quality bag in a style that seems to be almost universally agreed upon as uber practical. A great quality bag doesn't mean much if it's not being used and practicality only matters if it's practical for me - I know that. But I can't seem to get over all the things I've read about the quality and practicality enough to really sit with myself and decide if it's right for ME. :hrmm: Ugh...maybe I just need to use it more and try really hard to shut out the other voices and see how I feel about it...

Of course. The piece is titled Staller. It‘s from a series of Blokes by an artist named Aaron Smith. https://www.aaronsmithart.com/
I first saw his work online at a gallery showing in NYC. I knew I couldn’t afford a piece at that time. Several years later, I saw two available (resale) at different online art gallery sites and purchased this one. The paint is very thick on the original pieces, which I love, but he‘s currently offering a print of one of his paintings on his website. Had prints been an option back then, it’s likely I would have purchased one….

I just found these! Here’s a thumbnail of some of the pieces in the series….several of these are available for sale…
View attachment 5222179
Thank you for the info! He's a very talented artist. Also I love your mix of figurative and architectural pieces! (New thread perhaps????)

In the meantime M. Staller is a worthy warden of your collection.

Thank you for the congrats! She is wonderful, but I think you are right that I am a bit overwhelmed (with bags, yes, but also probably a bit with life changes) - it probably best not to make rash decisions when overwhelmed! I have thought about doing Kon Mari with my bags. I just need to find the time to do so. Baby girl doesn't really nap for more than 30-40 minutes at a time on her own, and Kon Mari when she's awake definitely isn't going to happen so right now it's just on a very long "to do, someday" list. :lol:

I do very much appreciate the recognition that bags are emotion - they definitely are for me - and not to get rid of one if I doubt letting it go. The questions you ask are helpful. I want my number down because it just feels excessive. I aspire to be a minimal, capsule collection, signature style type person. I won't ever be - I know that. But if I could move a little bit in that direction, that would be nice. I am definitely prone to regret and do have some regrets over bags I've already sold - to the point that I've considered searching for them and buying them again. :facepalm: I mean, I haven't actually done so, but I haven't ruled out the possibility of doing so either. Fashion-wise, I'm drawn to all different styles, but with my bags I could stick with the same bag for months. I don't and have been really making an effort to change out my bags and use them all, but I definitely used to use the same bags for months and was fine with it. I can easily be talked in and out of things, so I can definitely reason away a bag and be fine with it...but that's not to say that I won't want it back down the line.

I think one of my biggest issues is bags I have that I am holding onto because I know they're good quality and others like them, but I'm not completely sure if I love them. My vintage Coach Court bag comes to mind. I remember a blogger raving about it, and I immediate went on the hunt to find one. I'm very easily influenced! I finally got one, and I like it fine, but I don't know if I like it because I truly do or if it's because I feel like I should. Everyone raves about vintage Coach leather, and it's true - it is wonderful leather. And it's similar in style to the Pochette Metis that is in such high demand, but I actually like the Court better than the Pochette Metis, so points there. But, I'm not sure it's a bag I would have ever been drawn to if not for the blogger or likeness to the Pochette Metis, and the likeness to the Pochette Metis only "matters" because it's a style everyone seems to love and thinks is so practical.

I could probably get rid of the Court and be fine. I don't have a sentimental attachment to it, and I'm not entirely sure it fulfills a purpose that can't be fulfilled by other bags I like better. BUT, I can't seem to actually let it go because I'm keep going back to what great quality it is and how it's a style everyone seems to love so much. I know my bags should be serving a purpose for ME and it shouldn't matter what others think or say. And I don't care what others think or say in terms of any sort of perceived prestige or lack thereof, but I do fear I'll regret getting rid of a quality bag in a style that seems to be almost universally agreed upon as uber practical. A great quality bag doesn't mean much if it's not being used and practicality only matters if it's practical for me - I know that. But I can't seem to get over all the things I've read about the quality and practicality enough to really sit with myself and decide if it's right for ME. :hrmm: Ugh...maybe I just need to use it more and try really hard to shut out the other voices and see how I feel about it...
Enjoy your little one. There is no hurry to get rid of bags until you are sure. There are bags that I desperately want gone immediately and I don't have any regrets about selling them.

I know what you mean about the court bag. I have one I rarely use. Mine is vintage but looks nearly new. If I decide to get rid of it, I'm confident it wouldn't be hard to find another to replace it. Maybe I'd use it more if it was another color (mine in dark navy.) I have other vintage Coach bags that are rarer, and with those it is harder to decide whether to sell even though I rarely use them. I would have a lot of trouble finding them again.

My number of bags has grown again over the last few years. I know that I'd be happier with fewer. Eventually I'll get there but I don't feel I have to rush. I've come to the same realization you have - that with 50 bags, you'd only carry each one for a week a year. But if you will use them for years, it's not that bad. Some day your little girl will be old enough you can pass them down to her.

Please try not to worry or mull about getting rid of bags when you’re so obviously not ready to let it go.

I sold probably the nicest bag I’ve ever owned bought when I lived in Paris a few years ago, I’ve never stopped regretting it and I’d never sell a bag again!

I’d rather wear them until they’re not respectable -I’m my will-don’t worry I intend to be here to 100+ and I’m 53 but look 20 or less-I’ve left my bags to my niece, who would never get rid of them, so it’s just what I collect in my lifetime.

When I joined this forum I was only looking for one bag for purse peace-now I have 4 more and a wishlist, plus a very long ebay watch list!

Of course I don’t Need all of these bags, but they give me pleasure, like you, I like minimalism , but bags become your other babies, please don’t part with one and regret it, it’s bad enough I let one go❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Reactions: dramaprincess713
When it comes to bags, there have been times when I’ve been struck out of the blue. Several months ago, I took a photo that I refer to as Heavy Metal. It’s of my black bags with a significant amount of metal…..in my case PHW. At the time, I had a black Della Cavalleria reserved. After looking at this photo a number of times, I had an epiphany: it occurred to me that a Della Cavalleria was very similar to my BBVerrou. I immediately felt that I didn’t need, or even want, the Della. I wasn’t expecting it, but so far, I haven’t thought again about adding the bag. Considering my usual way of thinking, this is a miracle….

I have a common theme although a diverse range of bags-4 out of 13 are dark blue exotic or mock croc leather and some of the ones on my wishlist are, and my H is navy.

I love them all, and would replace them all if I should wear them out-the others I probably wouldn’t , so unless I’m gifted bags one day my collection will be all blue!

Although I don’t carry all the others-yet..

Apart from the H and exotics they can’t last forever, then I’ll shop my collection, or if I manage to gift one, probably replace it with a navy one!

Such diversity!

You probably have every model and colour imaginable , I aspire to much more, but being realistic I’m going to have to inherit for purse peace and I prefer to keep my parents❤️

The photo that did it: two clutches; two shoulder bags and a tote……

View attachment 5222129

Reactions: diane278
Enjoy your little one. There is no hurry to get rid of bags until you are sure. There are bags that I desperately want gone immediately and I don't have any regrets about selling them.

I know what you mean about the court bag. I have one I rarely use. Mine is vintage but looks nearly new. If I decide to get rid of it, I'm confident it wouldn't be hard to find another to replace it. Maybe I'd use it more if it was another color (mine in dark navy.) I have other vintage Coach bags that are rarer, and with those it is harder to decide whether to sell even though I rarely use them. I would have a lot of trouble finding them again.

My number of bags has grown again over the last few years. I know that I'd be happier with fewer. Eventually I'll get there but I don't feel I have to rush. I've come to the same realization you have - that with 50 bags, you'd only carry each one for a week a year. But if you will use them for years, it's not that bad. Some day your little girl will be old enough you can pass them down to her.

Please don’t get rid of your bags unless you are totally detached , HOWEVER many you have

A few years ago I sold a raspberry crocodile Dior bought in Paris-the buyer put it up for sale 3 times the price a day later.

I loved and had carried the bag-it’s the nices bag I’ve ever owned.

I’ll never stop regretting it and would Never sell a bag again , even if I’d never carried it..l

My niece will inherit my bags, I can trust her to keep them even if she doesn’t use them it’s ok..

Please don’t feel under pressure to part with them.

Congratulations on your baby and early motherhood. They grow and change so much in the first few months to first few years!
I appreciate the feeling of wanting to downsize my handbags, wanting to be more mindful and knowing I am not a minimalist.
Perhaps “baby steps” would be to start by making a list of what you have. It may be too onerous and time consuming to take everything out at the same time. Then track what you carry, and how you feel carrying each bag. A small project might be to photograph small groups of your bags, by colour, by size, by function, whatever makes sense for you. In each of my bag group pics I can identify my favourite/most frequently carried bag and my least favourite/least carried/least functional bag. When I’m ready, I can carry the potentially exiting bag one more time and reassess/confirm my feelings for the bag and move forward with a confident decision to keep it or let it go. You don’t have to let a whole bunch of bags go all at once. Do what works best for you and doesn’t add any mental stress. :smile::flowers:

This is a photo I recently posted on the Hermes forum. It’s my entire bag collection…(SLG’s and pouches aren’t shown). I feel it‘s complete at this time. However, I have looked back and found that my preferences have changed every decade or so. There’s always the chance that could happen again….my ability to read into the future has never been all that good. Right now, I have everything I need/want for this stage of my life....

View attachment 5220534
When it comes to bags, there have been times when I’ve been struck out of the blue. Several months ago, I took a photo that I refer to as Heavy Metal. It’s of my black bags with a significant amount of metal…..in my case PHW. At the time, I had a black Della Cavalleria reserved. After looking at this photo a number of times, I had an epiphany: it occurred to me that a Della Cavalleria was very similar to my BBVerrou. I immediately felt that I didn’t need, or even want, the Della. I wasn’t expecting it, but so far, I haven’t thought again about adding the bag. Considering my usual way of thinking, this is a miracle….

The photo that did it: two clutches; two shoulder bags and a tote……

View attachment 5222129
Diane, your bag photos are such a treat to see, the actual bags and the beautiful way you display them/photograph them. Congratulations on your move and thank you for sharing the updates on your home, art and handbags! :love:

Congratulations on your baby and early motherhood. They grow and change so much in the first few months to first few years!
I appreciate the feeling of wanting to downsize my handbags, wanting to be more mindful and knowing I am not a minimalist.
Perhaps “baby steps” would be to start by making a list of what you have. It may be too onerous and time consuming to take everything out at the same time. Then track what you carry, and how you feel carrying each bag. A small project might be to photograph small groups of your bags, by colour, by size, by function, whatever makes sense for you. In each of my bag group pics I can identify my favourite/most frequently carried bag and my least favourite/least carried/least functional bag. When I’m ready, I can carry the potentially exiting bag one more time and reassess/confirm my feelings for the bag and move forward with a confident decision to keep it or let it go. You don’t have to let a whole bunch of bags go all at once. Do what works best for you and doesn’t add any mental stress. :smile::flowers:

Yes, you have a baby now, please don’t add any stress.

My Lulu Guinness bag still has the tag on yet I bought the matching purse!

It’s not my style but was quite expensive , an impulse buy-I really can’t imagine ever using it.

For my nieces birthday next year I’m giving her a leather jacket(last year I stockpiled those but I’m so small most I’m stuck with as they don’t fit anybody else although I live in the same few-I have a double closet full haha and Still a wishlist for next year-but if by the following year the Lulu Guinness is untouched I’ll bite the bullet and gift it to her for her birthday -my sister has totally different tastes to me and I doubt would ever carry it..(I’m buying a collection of bags for her birthday which is ridiculous as I have unused bags)

If even parting with one would stress you-it would me atm even if I don’t like the bag, just keep your collection, if you want to let go in the future you’ll know when, or just keep them-I May just shop my way around my own collection and only replace essential bags❤️❤️❤️

This is going to be a long ramble. I was reading your answer and this is exactly how I feel. First of all, forget about getting your number down. That is not a thing that needs to be done timewise, so it can wait. You want this stylish minimal collection, but why do you want a minimal collection? I think part of it might be because you are overwhelmed and part of it might be because in a short youtubeclip they make it look so easy and they sound so confident.

Being easily influenced sounds familiair. If someone said they need five bags, I need five bags. If they have a new redbag, I need a new red bag. Someone in an article mentioned a red bag, someone else opened a thread and that night I bought a red bag. I love my bag but I do keep screenshots of that post that made me realise that this was not the way to go. I kept on thinking in wants and not in needs. I read lists of all the bags you need in your collection without ever wondering if they would suit me. I bought everything and more, got overwhelmed and hit a wall.

You sound overwhelmed and want a minimal collection. Start with making a minimal collection. What are the bags you want, what are the bags you need and pick those from your collection. You have the feeling of getting your life together, a collection that does not overwhelm you and you do not have to get rid of your bags just to have a minimal collection! You avoid the mammoth of grabbing all your bags while taking care of a small one. You don't need to do that, do not put that kind of unecessary stress on yourself. You have enough going on already. And maybe that plays a part in it too? You just had a baby and that changes everything. The world as you know it is gone. Everything is uncertain and you need something tangible, something that makes sense while everything else doesn't. Maybe it's not the number of bags that's gotten under your skin but you have no mental space for bags, so you feel that limiting them can give you some clarity as a whole.

This is why a capsule collection might help, but just start small. Building a capsule collection from what you already have is enough for now.

-

What helped me was putting my bags in storage and taking my time with that. Because I had so much bags, I forgot what I had. When I looked at them after 6 months, I noticed that I was less attatched to some of them. After a while I knew what I wanted in a bag. I could see why I was using some, why I was not using others, why I kept some, why I let others go and why for the life of me I could not let go of bags I never used. I let go of bags that I missed and bought back. Made mistakes but grew while doing it. I learned so much about myself, what I want and who I am. The bags were a part of me and I never looked at it that way before.

You make your own rules. You said that you have regrets letting them go but you do not have to let them go. I think the Coach bag is a great example. Other people raved about it and you bought it. This is your memory. You think about why you bought the bag when you see the bag. If I would see you I would only see a bag. You say that the leather is amazing and that is why you can't let it go. That is the small voice you should listen to. Listen to your gut. Do not reason a bag away because that are the bags we miss.

Put the Coach bag away because you do love it. Do not think that the quality is great so someone else might use it more. This is your bag, you already own it and regretting letting go of a bag, and finding that exact same bag, takes up mental space. Just move on to other bags. Create your minimal collection and if you feel up to it, grab another bag from storage and see how you feel while using it. If it does not make you happy or you gravitate to another bag that has the same function, make a mental note that it can go. Put it in a closet and leave the bag alone. If you see the bag after six months it's easier to let it go and you'll get more joy from wearing the bag you love more. That is how I weed out the clutter.

-

So now you have a small minimal collection you use, a bigger collection in storage that you want to weed out. The only thing left is what to do with the bags you still want? If you buy a bag your hormones are going haywire. I know that this is my downfall. Somebody mentions a bag, I find the bag, buy the bag, yay new bag feels. Creating distance work for me. I want this bag. If I still want the bag next month, then I can think about it. Take two steps back and define why you want that bag and if you have another bag that looks like it. I put myself on a diet. I'm on ban island and if I can only get two bags a year, will this be the bag? Is this the bag I can not live without? I do not need more bags, there is no void so I know that I can live without. That two mark number works wonders. And for me the most important part is to know myself. The week before you menstruate your hormones are unbalanced and you are less prone to long term discision making and more prone to buying. Not even impuls buying, buying in general. Ever since I read that I blocked my agenda and straight out forbid myself to buy something I don't need in that week. That helped a lot.

After a while I noticed I like new things. Ever so often I get a new bag and resell a bag that I'm not attatched to. I wanted to be this minimal girl and I finally am. I thought I would end with a minimal premier designer collection but I'm just to afraid to wear it. I feel a lot better with bags that cost less. Sometimes I look at my bags and can't breathe. That is the moment for a trendy bag. Pufferbags were so hip it hurts. I want that. All the regular reasoning didn't work anymore and I just gave it. I love the puffed Coach Tabby but wasn't willing to spend that amount of money on a bag that wouldn't last. I spend less, enjoyed my bag so much and now I am quite done with it. I am not beating myself up for buying a bag I wore for a year. I didn't spend a fortune on it. The bag is still like new and my niece loves it. Years ago I would have bought the Coach, think less of myself for spending that kind of money on a bag I didn't need and I could not let the bag go because it would feel like an even bigger waste. And I know that there will be another trendy high street bag around the corner. Only the essentials just doesn't work for me. You live, you learn. You can do this. Just start small and know that this is not something you have to do but want to do. Do not put that kind of pressure on yourself. And thank you for reading all of this. I know it's very long but I know exactly how you feel and didn't want to cut any corners :heart:

This is going to be a long ramble. I was reading your answer and this is exactly how I feel. First of all, forget about getting your number down. That is not a thing that needs to be done timewise, so it can wait. You want this stylish minimal collection, but why do you want a minimal collection? I think part of it might be because you are overwhelmed and part of it might be because in a short youtubeclip they make it look so easy and they sound so confident.

Being easily influenced sounds familiair. If someone said they need five bags, I need five bags. If they have a new redbag, I need a new red bag. Someone in an article mentioned a red bag, someone else opened a thread and that night I bought a red bag. I love my bag but I do keep screenshots of that post that made me realise that this was not the way to go. I kept on thinking in wants and not in needs. I read lists of all the bags you need in your collection without ever wondering if they would suit me. I bought everything and more, got overwhelmed and hit a wall.

You sound overwhelmed and want a minimal collection. Start with making a minimal collection. What are the bags you want, what are the bags you need and pick those from your collection. You have the feeling of getting your life together, a collection that does not overwhelm you and you do not have to get rid of your bags just to have a minimal collection! You avoid the mammoth of grabbing all your bags while taking care of a small one. You don't need to do that, do not put that kind of unecessary stress on yourself. You have enough going on already. And maybe that plays a part in it too? You just had a baby and that changes everything. The world as you know it is gone. Everything is uncertain and you need something tangible, something that makes sense while everything else doesn't. Maybe it's not the number of bags that's gotten under your skin but you have no mental space for bags, so you feel that limiting them can give you some clarity as a whole.

This is why a capsule collection might help, but just start small. Building a capsule collection from what you already have is enough for now.

-

What helped me was putting my bags in storage and taking my time with that. Because I had so much bags, I forgot what I had. When I looked at them after 6 months, I noticed that I was less attatched to some of them. After a while I knew what I wanted in a bag. I could see why I was using some, why I was not using others, why I kept some, why I let others go and why for the life of me I could not let go of bags I never used. I let go of bags that I missed and bought back. Made mistakes but grew while doing it. I learned so much about myself, what I want and who I am. The bags were a part of me and I never looked at it that way before.

You make your own rules. You said that you have regrets letting them go but you do not have to let them go. I think the Coach bag is a great example. Other people raved about it and you bought it. This is your memory. You think about why you bought the bag when you see the bag. If I would see you I would only see a bag. You say that the leather is amazing and that is why you can't let it go. That is the small voice you should listen to. Listen to your gut. Do not reason a bag away because that are the bags we miss.

Put the Coach bag away because you do love it. Do not think that the quality is great so someone else might use it more. This is your bag, you already own it and regretting letting go of a bag, and finding that exact same bag, takes up mental space. Just move on to other bags. Create your minimal collection and if you feel up to it, grab another bag from storage and see how you feel while using it. If it does not make you happy or you gravitate to another bag that has the same function, make a mental note that it can go. Put it in a closet and leave the bag alone. If you see the bag after six months it's easier to let it go and you'll get more joy from wearing the bag you love more. That is how I weed out the clutter.

-

So now you have a small minimal collection you use, a bigger collection in storage that you want to weed out. The only thing left is what to do with the bags you still want? If you buy a bag your hormones are going haywire. I know that this is my downfall. Somebody mentions a bag, I find the bag, buy the bag, yay new bag feels. Creating distance work for me. I want this bag. If I still want the bag next month, then I can think about it. Take two steps back and define why you want that bag and if you have another bag that looks like it. I put myself on a diet. I'm on ban island and if I can only get two bags a year, will this be the bag? Is this the bag I can not live without? I do not need more bags, there is no void so I know that I can live without. That two mark number works wonders. And for me the most important part is to know myself. The week before you menstruate your hormones are unbalanced and you are less prone to long term discision making and more prone to buying. Not even impuls buying, buying in general. Ever since I read that I blocked my agenda and straight out forbid myself to buy something I don't need in that week. That helped a lot.

After a while I noticed I like new things. Ever so often I get a new bag and resell a bag that I'm not attatched to. I wanted to be this minimal girl and I finally am. I thought I would end with a minimal premier designer collection but I'm just to afraid to wear it. I feel a lot better with bags that cost less. Sometimes I look at my bags and can't breathe. That is the moment for a trendy bag. Pufferbags were so hip it hurts. I want that. All the regular reasoning didn't work anymore and I just gave it. I love the puffed Coach Tabby but wasn't willing to spend that amount of money on a bag that wouldn't last. I spend less, enjoyed my bag so much and now I am quite done with it. I am not beating myself up for buying a bag I wore for a year. I didn't spend a fortune on it. The bag is still like new and my niece loves it. Years ago I would have bought the Coach, think less of myself for spending that kind of money on a bag I didn't need and I could not let the bag go because it would feel like an even bigger waste. And I know that there will be another trendy high street bag around the corner. Only the essentials just doesn't work for me. You live, you learn. You can do this. Just start small and know that this is not something you have to do but want to do. Do not put that kind of pressure on yourself. And thank you for reading all of this. I know it's very long but I know exactly how you feel and didn't want to cut any corners :heart:
Awesome post!
Whilst I don’t have 50 bags myself, I can’t let go of bags even if I don’t even like them or have never carried them.

Even when I could gift them to family members so that if I Really regretted it I could get the bag back.

Recently I’ve bought

A leather going to university bag for my niece
2 bags towards a collection I’m going to surprise my sister with on her next birthday

When I could have shopped my own collection.

And having decided to give a bag to my niece for her next birthday, I’ve now settled on a leather jacket.

One bag I’ve bought the matching wallet to, (Lulu Guinness), I’ve NEVER used either, just not my style, when I’m sure my niece would love the combo, even my sister possibly, until I looked at the website and saw bags for £350- although the Isabel Marant jacket I paid 5 times that for but it’s too big for me-I can’t use that excuse for my bags can I ?
Although the bag IS too big for me, and although the leather is beautiful quality and will age well, I can’t part with it although I can’t imagine ever carrying it!

Yet I’ll happily keep a navy patent leather mic crock bag that is so obviously not an exotic!

When I Own the real version!

No rhyme or reason.

I think, unless she feels smothered, she should keep the bags whilst she has Baby brain lol, and when ready decide whether she wants to be parted from any bags.

I’ll never have 50, but my collection has grown from 9 to 13 since I joined pf, with a wishlist I do intend to shop, and an eBay watchlist I’m desperately trying Not to shop so that I can buy the others, but am sure that in a moment of stress or tiredness I’ll succumb to at least 1 of the 8 bags I’m watching-I nearly did during last night when I didn’t sleep at all, only a large credit card bill stopped me, but my mum is very sick, I don’t respond well to stress, when something happens or if her(probably last) birthday party is too stressful I’ll probably just buy the cheapest bag on my watch list, leaving 7 which I can’t delete, including Chanel and Hermes, 1 I could never afford anyway, the others I Could if I saved, but will I just ring more?

Your post will be helpful to lots of people but atm I’m so stressed(and have a migraine ), that I can’t even decide which bag to carry tomorrow …you would despair with me!xxx

@Egel, I love how you have dialed in what really works for you!

I think your statement, “You live, you learn. Just start small and know this is not something you have to do but want to do.” Sums up the situation of @dramaprincess713 so eloquently.….

(And I don’t think your post was too long. I think it was as long as it needed to be so that the explanation was complete….)

It's been quite awhile since I've posted in here or posted at all! Life has kept me from Purseforum (I'm a new mom!), but I've missed it here. And this thread, in particular, is one I need.

I have fallen quite off the rails in my attempt to downsize and curate my collection. I am currently at 42 bags, with only two that I can truly see myself getting rid of in the future, and another 10 on my "plan to buy" list, leaving me at a grand total of 50 bags (clutches are included in this count; backpack and travel bags like Longchamp Le Pilage are not included). :shocked: Considering my goal has been to get down to the 25-35 range, this is not good. :frown:

I'm feeling stuck with all this. On one hand, I think 50 bags is too much for me. I definitely can't use 50 bags enough to adequately enjoy them all. I can make efforts to change my bags more often, which I'm trying to do now, but even then new mom life and partially remote work life means that I'm not going out and using my bags all that often to begin with, so trying to change them out more only goes so far. Plus, I'm searching for a fully-remote position, which I desperately want and hope I can land, but also means I'd be using my bags that much less. It is silly to have so many bags but only use each a few times a year. At 50 bags, if I were to use each one equally (which I definitely don't because obviously different bags serve different purposes), I'd essentially be averaging 1 bag a week, and when I put it that way, it sounds ludicrous to me. On the other hand, I really love my bags, and I'm having a hard time getting rid of them. I tried the closet for departing bags, and ended up taking several out of the closet because I'm not ready to let them go. It's not like they're getting more use though. They are bags in colors or prints that I love, and I just am having a hard time letting go. I really do love these bags. (I clearly love too many though!) Part of me feels like maybe I just go with 50 bags and accept that I'm a bag lady. But the other part of me feels like I need to get rid of some - it's too many and kind of stressing me out. I'm just not sure how to reconcile these two parts of me.

Anyway, I know no one can tell me what to do - this is my own journey to go through and issue to figure out. But I thought I'd check in to say hi and also, oops, not doing too well with the editing. :hrmm:
Congrats on your little one! Many have offered their experiences and I will offer mine. Over the last five years I went from a handful of bags to over 4 dozen! Mostly vintage Coach, most very inexpensive and with the intention as a hobby to hone the skill of refurbishing the full grain leather that put Coach on the map in the '80s and '90s. As I have said many times, I was enjoying and indulging all the Coach I could not afford in the 90's!
Yet at some point, it all began to feel like "too much". I was the kid in the proverbial candy shop, on a spree, starting to get a tummy ache. I think my tummy ache began before lock down. I didn't know quite what to do. So I just paid attention to how I was feeling, lol, bought a few more bags, contemplated about what to let go, how to let go, . . . . Didn't pressure myself to do anything hasty. Just allowed all the feelings to come and go without judgement, knowing that might best pave the way. I bought a bag at a flea market as recently as two weeks ago and another online and still have a pile to finish restoring.
I can honestly say, without much effort on my part, ideas about deciding what to keep, what to let go have been emerging in the last week, and I am quite pleased with that. There are bags I am ready to let go off and it feels right. Really right.
I sincerely believe that as you continue to engage in all the details of your busy life and think about your bags without judgement or pressure (not easy, right?) you will become aware of the time when it feels right to let a bag go or keep it.

P.S. There will always be a vintage Coach Court at decent price on eBay, Etsy, Posh, etc. Trust. Me :lol:

Thank you all for all the responses and kind feedback and advice! I love gearing from you all, and I really appreciate it.

Thank you, I'm definitely enjoying the baby snuggles!

My Court is in navy as well. I adore blue and navy bags so it's not about the color for me. I'm really just not sure if it's a style that fits into my life. I do feel sure I could replace it if I got rid of it, but I'd rather avoid that hassle so for now it stays.

I do like the thought that if you use them for years it's not that bad! And hopefully my girl will actually want some of my bags to be passed down to her...for all I know, she may not have gotten the bag love gene, lol. In any case, you are right that there is no hurry, and I do feel better when I remember that. I feel like there's such pressure to downsize NOW, but really that's some self-imposed thing. It's a good reminder to hear that I can do this all on my own time.

Please try not to worry or mull about getting rid of bags when you’re so obviously not ready to let it go.

I sold probably the nicest bag I’ve ever owned bought when I lived in Paris a few years ago, I’ve never stopped regretting it and I’d never sell a bag again!

I’d rather wear them until they’re not respectable -I’m my will-don’t worry I intend to be here to 100+ and I’m 53 but look 20 or less-I’ve left my bags to my niece, who would never get rid of them, so it’s just what I collect in my lifetime.

When I joined this forum I was only looking for one bag for purse peace-now I have 4 more and a wishlist, plus a very long ebay watch list!

Of course I don’t Need all of these bags, but they give me pleasure, like you, I like minimalism , but bags become your other babies, please don’t part with one and regret it, it’s bad enough I let one go❤❤❤❤❤❤
Yep, I am definitely putting pressure on myself to downsize but am clearly not quite ready to do so yet! I do have some regrets about bags I've sold, but luckily they are not major regrets - more like twinges of regret only when I think about it. TPF sure does have a way of growing your collection and wishlist, doesn't it? I swear, sometime I don't even realize it's happening! :lol:

Thank you! It's so crazy to me how fast she's growing and changing. I swear, one day she can't do something and then the next day she can - literally overnight!

I really do like the idea of grouping them and taking photos. As I envisioned doing this, I could already think of some of my most favorite bags that are definitely here to stay. I bet raking actual photos will make it even more clear. And yes, "permission" to take my time with this is so helpful. I need to remind myself that it's OK not to do it all at once!

Congrats on your little one! Many have offered their experiences and I will offer mine. Over the last five years I went from a handful of bags to over 4 dozen! Mostly vintage Coach, most very inexpensive and with the intention as a hobby to hone the skill of refurbishing the full grain leather that put Coach on the map in the '80s and '90s. As I have said many times, I was enjoying and indulging all the Coach I could not afford in the 90's!
Yet at some point, it all began to feel like "too much". I was the kid in the proverbial candy shop, on a spree, starting to get a tummy ache. I think my tummy ache began before lock down. I didn't know quite what to do. So I just paid attention to how I was feeling, lol, bought a few more bags, contemplated about what to let go, how to let go, . . . . Didn't pressure myself to do anything hasty. Just allowed all the feelings to come and go without judgement, knowing that might best pave the way. I bought a bag at a flea market as recently as two weeks ago and another online and still have a pile to finish restoring.
I can honestly say, without much effort on my part, ideas about deciding what to keep, what to let go have been emerging in the last week, and I am quite pleased with that. There are bags I am ready to let go off and it feels right. Really right.
I sincerely believe that as you continue to engage in all the details of your busy life and think about your bags without judgement or pressure (not easy, right?) you will become aware of the time when it feels right to let a bag go or keep it.

P.S. There will always be a vintage Coach Court at decent price on eBay, Etsy, Posh, etc. Trust. Me :lol:
Thank you! I think letting go of this self-imposed pressure is really what I need to do and will probably go a long way in avoiding any selling regrets! It's definitely not easy to think about all my bags without judgement or pressure - there can are so much emotion tied up with all this. But I hope I can start doing that because I think you're right that it will help me become aware of what to let go or keep. And yes, at least if I do get rid of the Court, I can replace it if I want to! :biggrin: