Share interesting Hermès facts here!

Togo is a pebble-grained leather, and by definition, all pebble-grained leathers are pressed to get the grains.

Yes, some pebble leathers are embossed — no one is doubting that. That doesn't negate the fact that some of them are not. In the same way that some tanneries sell faux crocodile-embossed leather, doesn't mean that actual crocodile/alligator leather doesn't exist

Here are some naturally pebbled leather skins you can buy that I found just through some casual googling:

Natural pebble grain, so you can expect the grain to vary throughout the skin

Our Barcelona full grain leather features the original, natural grain, and has not been sanded, corrected, or buffed.

This leather is a soft, natural full grain leather with a waxy touch

Hermes freely admits in their own copy that Epsom is an embossed leather, yet they do not do so for Togo. Why don't you take their word for it? And because Hermes uses only the best of the best, the leather they do use has a very uniform appearance, and the rest of it is wastage (there's a LOT of wastage in the the luxury leather goods market)

I have mentioned this in the previous pages but if you look at a certain angle, you can see that there is a sort of a grid pattern on on this togo:
View attachment 5580513

On the other hand, the article I mentioned says:

"Once dyed, the leather is now run through machines that have large, metal plates. The plates are etched in reverse with the pebble pattern. This is so when they pass the pattern into a material, it will look as desired. Think of this like the dies used to make coins, they’re cut in reverse, so when they strike the metal, a properly-oriented coin surface comes out.

The pebbled pattern is a textured, rounded, random design. The plates, with tremendous force, are then pressed into the leather, leaving its permanent shape in the material."

So it's also possible that the plates that the tannery is using for pressing the leathers are randomized itself, i.e. without the grid pattern that can be seen above.

Togo is a pebble-grained leather, and by definition, all pebble-grained leathers are pressed to get the grains.
@thebaghag just posted some stuff on her IG story that proves my point

IMG_3133.PNG

IMG_3134.PNG

IMG_3131.PNG

IMG_3132.PNG

To reiterate: The grains of Togo are not natural. They are embossed like the grains in epsom.

Last edited:
How do the veins survive this stamping process? I always thought Togo and Clemence were drummed leathers (which puffs up the grain).
veins are deeper than the grains so they survive. the drumming process doesn't produce the grains or puffs up the grains. the grains aren't there yet during drumming. the drumming process is part of the wet phase that leads to the separation of the leathers’ fibers and the distribution of the lubricating products, softening the treated hides and skins.

I guess it could explain why the leather near the piping especially at the corners tends to be smooth with any grains? I always thought the smooth leather is due to wear and tear but wonder why the color stays the same through it.

veins are deeper than the grains so they survive. the drumming process doesn't produce the grains or puffs up the grains. the grains aren't there yet during drumming. the drumming process is part of the wet phase that leads to the separation of the leathers’ fibers and the distribution of the lubricating products, softening the treated hides and skins.
In the silk world the process includes adding a sizing product that stiffens the silk. Is there a comparable product/process that makes Epsom so stiff and plasticky or is there something different about the underlying skin that takes the product differently?

In the silk world the process includes adding a sizing product that stiffens the silk. Is there a comparable product/process that makes Epsom so stiff and plasticky or is there something different about the underlying skin that takes the product differently?
all I know is that epsom is laminated leather. the process of lamination, unfortunately, I have not yet found out.

Reactions: textilegirl
Thank you for all the info on Togo leather. I am now wondering about how swift leather is made given that it's so smooth. I am assuming it must not be embossed but how do they achieve the smoothness?

Too funny! What exactly are you looking for? I have a bag and want to put my kiddo on the hunt

So I gave her a smaller bag this time. I couldn't find any, she was annoyed that she could "only" find 17 instances of the Hermès imprint on this bag...

Maybe you can see it in this picture? (The lower circle is the one I put the iPhone torch on.). Young eyes!!!

IMG_0998.jpg