Shampoos or Cures for an itchy scalp?

I eventually went to a dermatologist because the flakes and itchiness were constant. I now use a prescription shampoo and serum that help tremendously. But I also used Scalpicin which you can get at Wal-greens which is really good for itchiness.
I recently noticed I had itchy scalp and redness. Went to dermatologist for a skin checkup and she said your scalp is red and prescribed a prescription shampoo. Going to try it today. I'm concerned that when I color my hair it could worsen the condition. I already tried neutragena T sal shampoo and that didn't fix it. since I don't know the cause, wondering if (assuming it continues) I should ask my hairdresser if she has a gentler color product or if I should stop sitting under the dryer to set the color when she does it.

I recently noticed I had itchy scalp and redness. Went to dermatologist for a skin checkup and she said your scalp is red and prescribed a prescription shampoo. Going to try it today. I'm concerned that when I color my hair it could worsen the condition. I already tried neutragena T sal shampoo and that didn't fix it. since I don't know the cause, wondering if (assuming it continues) I should ask my hairdresser if she has a gentler color product or if I should stop sitting under the dryer to set the color when she does it.

You may have a sensitivity to the chemicals used for coloring your hair or perhaps your previous shampoo
I had sensitivity & switched over to a product (Madison Reed) which is for much healthier
for my scalp & hair in general

• Insightful
Reactions: 880
You may have a sensitivity to the chemicals used for coloring your hair or perhaps your previous shampoo
I had sensitivity & switched over to a product (Madison Reed) which is for much healthier
for my scalp & hair in general
do you do your own color? if not, do you bring the color to the salon? my stylist is out on maternity leave so until she comes back, I either have to make an appointment with one of her colleagues or do it myself. I used to do it with Wella

do you do your own color? if not, do you bring the color to the salon? my stylist is out on maternity leave so until she comes back, I either have to make an appointment with one of her colleagues or do it myself. I used to do it with Wella

I go to the salon with the color & have my gal do it. I find that the hair salon color products don't
give me the coverage I am looking for & that my hair appears much drier looking when the typical
hair color products are being used.
I have being using Madison Reed on & off pre-pandemic now it is the only hair coloring product I use
& for the last several months have been making salon visits
The 800 number will help you choose the correct color after you take the quiz if you have any questions
or concerns

I go to the salon with the color & have my gal do it. I find that the hair salon color products don't
give me the coverage I am looking for & that my hair appears much drier looking when the typical
hair color products are being used.
I have being using Madison Reed on & off pre-pandemic now it is the only hair coloring product I use
& for the last several months have been making salon visits
The 800 number will help you choose the correct color after you take the quiz if you have any questions
or concerns
thanks
I did a google search for Madison Reed colors that cover resistant grey and it gave me brown colors. My color now which I want to keep is auburn. I could try calling them I guess.
There are two Madison Reed color salons here but I think if I went to them for color and liked it, then I'd be returning to my regular stylist just for haircuts - which are a lot less profitable for her and she would probably not be terribly happy.
Maybe I need to take that back. Cuts are less expensive but color, while expensive, takes longer.

For now I'm going to use the prescription shampoo for the second time today. It seems to be helping. Wish I knew what caused this. I had tried a new gel and I'm thinking that could have been the culprit.

thanks
I did a google search for Madison Reed colors that cover resistant grey and it gave me brown colors. My color now which I want to keep is auburn. I could try calling them I guess.
There are two Madison Reed color salons here but I think if I went to them for color and liked it, then I'd be returning to my regular stylist just for haircuts - which are a lot less profitable for her and she would probably not be terribly happy.
Maybe I need to take that back. Cuts are less expensive but color, while expensive, takes longer.

For now I'm going to use the prescription shampoo for the second time today. It seems to be helping. Wish I knew what caused this. I had tried a new gel and I'm thinking that could have been the culprit.
There is a quiz that you might consider taking to determine the correct shade by the answers
you give. I know many red heads as well as auburn gals that use MR color. Calling the 800 number will help
The application takes about half an hour just like the salon & you sit for 35 - 45 minutes
so I don't find that a long time & when you have your hair colored it just makes you feel so good
so even at home works for me. I chose to do it that way during the pandemic as I had no other option
No colorist was coming to my home to do color/treatments they were too concerned about Covid
MR shades are different color ranges/tones than your typical over the counter products
MR also has a color hair mask that also gives the hair definition for me it keeps my highlights
salon fresh looking as I do the mask several times in between visits
Hope the prescription shampoo will clear up your issue

There is a quiz that you might consider taking to determine the correct shade by the answers
you give. I know many red heads as well as auburn gals that use MR color. Calling the 800 number will help
The application takes about half an hour just like the salon & you sit for 35 - 45 minutes
so I don't find that a long time & when you have your hair colored it just makes you feel so good
so even at home works for me. I chose to do it that way during the pandemic as I had no other option
No colorist was coming to my home to do color/treatments they were too concerned about Covid
MR shades are different color ranges/tones than your typical over the counter products
MR also has a color hair mask that also gives the hair definition for me it keeps my highlights
salon fresh looking as I do the mask several times in between visitsyes
Hope the prescription shampoo will clear up your issue
I did the quiz and it told me my color is medium auburn I think. but when I asked about resistant grey I got brown colors. for now I'm not coloring my hair. I'll probably do a mini touchup with the clairol boxed touchup kit. Just the top of my head and the area around my face next week.

Next time I need to do the whole head I'll have to decide whether I want to do myself either with the wella I used in the past or with MR. Or go to MR salon. My stylist is out on maternity leave and my next appointment isn't until late November.
If this shampoo doesn't totally cure the problem this could be a dilemma for me. My stylist cuts my hair dry using the Deva method. so I would want to continue having her cut my hair. She might be less likely to hold it against me if I did my own color than if I went to a different salon. So if I do go to a MR salon, I guess I don't have to tell her.

I've been using prescription shampoo for a couple of weeks. I think it's helped but not cured completely. I do tend to have sensitive skin so maybe I had this in the past and just didn't notice. If there is any cause, I would say it's the cheap gel I picked up at TJ Maxx. I'm throwing that away.

Nettle shampoo and/or conditioner. Urtekram has a great nettle conditioner that helped me alot. Also using a more natural cleaning agent like egg has helped me get rid of my flaky, itchy scalp and helped me extend the time my hair needs washing from a day to a week.

Reactions: sdkitty
Nettle shampoo and/or conditioner. Urtekram has a great nettle conditioner that helped me alot. Also using a more natural cleaning agent like egg has helped me get rid of my flaky, itchy scalp and helped me extend the time my hair needs washing from a day to a week.
I just refilled by RX shampoo....maybe I'll try the nettle products next. I'm questioning whether this was some sort of allergic reaction or if I've been like this all along and now have become conscious of it

Reactions: Amazona
I just refilled by RX shampoo....maybe I'll try the nettle products next. I'm questioning whether this was some sort of allergic reaction or if I've been like this all along and now have become conscious of it
It can be allergy or another sort of reaction to something - you might have always had the same problems but the right choice of shampoo, conditioner and diet has kept it in control.
My problems were caused by mild psoriasis that showed up at the front of my scalp, behind the ears and my nails and cuticles. My skin is also very sensitive so very few shampoos and conditioners actually pass.
This is one of the reasons I went for natural cleansers for a couple of years. Egg is great for thorough cleansing and also elimination to see if it's the chemicals in shampoo or conditioner that are a cause for your problems, and honey is good for moisturizing the scalp.

Reactions: sdkitty
It can be allergy or another sort of reaction to something - you might have always had the same problems but the right choice of shampoo, conditioner and diet has kept it in control.
My problems were caused by mild psoriasis that showed up at the front of my scalp, behind the ears and my nails and cuticles. My skin is also very sensitive so very few shampoos and conditioners actually pass.
This is one of the reasons I went for natural cleansers for a couple of years. Egg is great for thorough cleansing and also elimination to see if it's the chemicals in shampoo or conditioner that are a cause for your problems, and honey is good for moisturizing the scalp.
wouldn't honey be sticky and hard to get out?