Shampoo build up removal

aklein

Dec 30, 2007
I did a search but wasn't able to find anything on this topic already in existence.

I have serious shampoo build up on my scalp. I have tried different 'cleansing' shampoos to get rid of it, but they don't seem to help. They just seem to make my hair dry.
Does any one have any suggestions either for a new shampoo or an at home remedy?
I do not color my hair. It's just long, straight and pretty thick.
Thanks for your help.

i really like rene furturer curbica shampoo. i don't find it drying. i used to have long hair that was chemically processed but i felt it was still gentle yet effective. you don't hve to use it too often either. once or twice a week is good enough.

Aveda makes an amazing product called Scalp Remedy Antidandruff Tonic. It says "antidandruff" but it has ingredients that will gently and miraculously remove most build-up on you scalp. An added benefit is that it's all natural. A bottle costs about $10 and a little goes a long way. I never found anything else quite likeit. I've recommended this to many people and every time the response is a huge "WOW"! Hope this helps!! :smile:

from my experience any silicon-free shampoo will do the job, just make sure to shampoo your hair twice.for dry hair use conditioner afterwards but only in the ends of your hair

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely try some of them out and report back.
I have been using the Neutrogena shampoo and to be honest, I think that has made it worse.

I don't waste my money on these types of shampoos because I've found that about a tablespoon of baking soda mixed in with my regular shampoo works wonders to remove build-up.

Some people use baking soda + water and then a VERY diluted portion of apple cidar vinegar (or it'd be too dry) to rinse. The smell of vinegar goes away very quickly after the hair dries so don't worry if you're headed somewhere after washing your hair.

I love ACV. Just got a deal on Fekkai's ACV Shampoo and that doesn't smell bad at all. I've heard dishwashing soap is amazing, but you can only use it twice a year because it's very stripping. If your hair is very bad, you might want to try that followed by a deep conditioner (and then use a shampoo without 'cones so it doesn't build up again). I've never used dishwashing soap on my hair because it's very dry, but I would try it just at the scalp if your build up is really bad.