Workplace Sexual Harassment Complaint

talexs

I Love It!!!!!
Jun 29, 2008
always in the office :(
I'm not sure if this is an appropriate type of question to ask so I apologize if it isn't, but has anyone had any experience with sexual harassment at the work place? What did you do about it? My situation was so bad I made a formal complaint, unfortunately it appears that my complaint was not taken seriously and was in fact discussed with people not involved with it. My coworkers now don't speak to me and everyone within my company is supposedly talking about me. I am trying to take this all in stride and just hoping that appropriate action is eventually taken but it's hard to do. I am concerned about my job security and going to work makes me sick. TIA!

redney

Lovin' Life!
O.G.
Apr 21, 2006
I'm not sure if this is an appropriate type of question to ask so I apologize if it isn't, but has anyone had any experience with sexual harassment at the work place? What did you do about it? My situation was so bad I made a formal complaint, unfortunately it appears that my complaint was not taken seriously and was in fact discussed with people not involved with it. My coworkers now don't speak to me and everyone within my company is supposedly talking about me. I am trying to take this all in stride and just hoping that appropriate action is eventually taken but it's hard to do. I am concerned about my job security and going to work makes me sick. TIA!
I'm sorry this is happening to you. No, wait I take that back. I'm both very sorry and disgusted and furious this is happening to you!!

This is not only unprofessional but simply sickening and unacceptable. Is your company large enough to have an employee advocate or an ethics group - a person or team who will work with employees who report ethics and other violations, usually on a confidential basis as available? If so, please go to that person(s). If not, can you escalate this to the most senior HR person, or the person to whom they report?

Legally, after being made aware of a sexual harassment complaint, the employer is obligated to conduct an investigation, though I don't know the confidentiality statutes. Certainly that other employees outside of the situation know proves this was violated too. Did someone conduct an investigation?

This is creating a hostile work environment for you which is also cause for legal action, along with the sexual harassment, if you chose to pursue it. So along those lines, I'd suggest researching your rights for your state and contacting a labor attorney for advice.

Here are a couple of articles via Google that may give more information.

http://labor-employment-law.lawyers.com/sexual-harassment/employees-sexual-harassment-faq.html#12

http://employeeatty.blogspot.com/2011/03/i-reported-harassment-and-now-hr-wants.html

So sorry again and best wishes!!