Seriously - what is up with Coach zippers??

crissy11

O.G.
Jun 23, 2009
I've read a lot of threads about Coach zippers being inferior - not working properly, sticking, etc. I finally had to admit it was true but I really have not wanted to.

I only have two purses with zippers that work properly and they are my Zoes. My Ali, Hailey, Groovy and Kristin all have horrible zippers that I'm actually a bit embarrased about. I won't return the purses though because I LOVE THEM, but I finally have to come out of denial and admit that Coach does have a problem with sticking zippers.

I wonder if they are aware of what a huge issue this is and if they will do anything about it. It's such a shame - they have wonderful products in every regard, but the zipper issue cannot be overlooked any longer.

And the style of the purse should have no bearing on how the zipper works. They simply must come out with a way for their zippers to operate smoothly - or else come up with an alternate closure.

This isn't just from my point of view, I was actually shocked at the number of posts about this over the past little while.

^^ What I've noticed too is all those bags you've named are newer bags. I don't have zipper issues with any bag except for my Poppy Pocket Hobo, but it's because of the slouch. I have to straighten out the top before zipping or unzipping and then the zipper runs smoothly. But even so I don't consider it a huge issue. All the zippers on my other bags are just fine.

Maybe try the wax paper trick? You rub the wax paper on the zipper and supposedly it helps make the zipper run smoother. I haven't tried it yet, but some people say it works.

I've noticed slouchy bags have that issue, and mostly it is bkz the bag is not straight and it makes zipping hard... besides that, i've read about people with groovy, hailey and kristin zipper issues, but i haven't had any myself on those bags...

I brought back my black hailey (I kept the Jade because she's pretty enough for me to put up with it) and while I went to the store to buy the kristin hobo, I ended up ordering something else because of the zipper issues. It is a shame. A sticky zipper is embarrassing!

hmmmm.... I just realized that out of the 7 bags that I own I only have two with zippers. My jade hailey and my audrey. Audrey's zipper is really great. I guess that I don't really like zippers on my bags... I like easy access.

I have a mens slim tote that I use as a handbag. I have to remember not to open it all the way because the zipper is a total PITA. I have to pull it tight to get it to work.

I noticed that with the poppy groovy! I was contemplating buying one and every one I picked up had a sticking zipper. Finally after going through several, I found one with a pretty good working zipper but when I opened it, the lining inside had all these loose threads hanging out around the seam. I learned in home-ec class in high school that if a ready-made garment has loose threads everywhere on it that that's a sign of poor workmanship. If they can't take the time to trim them off then it was hurriedly made. That put me off so I just put back the groovy and still no poppy for me. I don't mind being poppy-less. Now I won't be a pauper. I can use that money for other things. Especially since it's still only 30% off.

My tartan glam tote does it sometimes but I find it's all in how I hold the zipper too. I need to place my finger in front of it to guide it and it won't get stuck. But I think too, that the nickle zippers are not as smooth as the brass.

I think it's the slouchiness of the bags. Although, I did find that after zipping and unzipping my Kristin Hobo a few times, it became much easier to open. I've had the same problem with zippers in other higher end lines too.

Majority of all my Coach bags have some sort of zipper issues (I have over 50 bags, so its across styles and seasons for me). But, I'm used to leaving my bag open for easy access so I haven't had to deal with them.

I'm not thrilled about the zippers on my Haileys or Kristin hobo, but I love the bags enough to just put up with it. I love zipping my Carly, it's so easy, but then there's very little slouch. I'm curious about what Coach could do to fix the issue, except of course changing to a different closure.

My Hailey has zipper issues too, but I love her, so I'm not going to return for something else. Haven't tried the wax paper yet, although I've done that on my kids' coats and it worked great.

I brought back my groovy because of the zipper issues (even though I loved it!) I definitely think it's more to do with a lot of zipper and not enough fabric weighing it down to force a clean pull?