Seriously... What Is Goin' On?!?!?

pinkpalm said:
that doesn't stop people from buying a bag on blufly and then RETURNING A FAKE! Happens a lot...

Yeah, they attach tags to the bag now that say, "this bag cannot be returned without this tag attached."

In the future, they are going to need more technologically-advanced methods, though. Some kind of electronic "fingerprinting."

Feels kind of ignorant in the past on bags before I visited sites on fashion and bags. I never know that many people are copying designs from Balenciaga, Fendi etc and selling these bags in their own brands.

In fact, I have a Balenciaga look-alike (95% look alike) from another brand. And I only paid about USD100 for it in my country. This was before I know of any designs from Balenciaga... :shame:

These look-alikes are selling like HOT CAKES in major shopping centres here. Do you guys notice the same situation in your country? Just very curious to know....

I agree. I work in the legal industry and matters such as these draw out for years and years and cost a lot of money. Once you finish litigating one company, and winning, there are 5,000 more producing your 'replicas'. You just can't win. It's a shame really

oranGetRee said:
Feels kind of ignorant in the past on bags before I visited sites on fashion and bags. I never know that many people are copying designs from Balenciaga, Fendi etc and selling these bags in their own brands.

In fact, I have a Balenciaga look-alike (95% look alike) from another brand. And I only paid about USD100 for it in my country. This was before I know of any designs from Balenciaga... :shame:

These look-alikes are selling like HOT CAKES in major shopping centres here. Do you guys notice the same situation in your country? Just very curious to know....

i think that happens a lot - with bags that aren't logo bags or rediculously well known, people buy the 'inspired' bag without ever realizing that the design is a ripoff from somewhere. i mean, how many of the teenage girls that bought the inspired balenciagas at target have ever heard of balenciaga?

A friend of mine is an Attorney who deals in trademark infringement. I once asked her this question "how do they get away with this?". What she told me was very interesting ...

First of all, these sites oftentimes word their text very carefully. They may intimate that the items are 'authentic', but if you "read the fine print", you find that they are - in fact - not. For instance, if they purport to have "suppliers", they (if you know your facts), then you know that they are selling fakes (their suppliers being some sweat-shop pumping out these pieces of crap). The problem is that too many folks don't do their research and they end up buying this crap.

Second, have you noticed that these websites change their names a lot? This is another way for them to "trick" the consumer. The only way that you can tell that it's the same place is to look at the images (you'll see that they will resemble the photos from their last "named" website). Some of these folks are so bad, that they out-and-out copy the photos directly from sites like Neiman Marcus (or an 'authorized' retailer). That's why so many of them have discontinued displaying the pictures - really sad. Or - worse yet - they take pictures off of eBay!

Folks like my friend are working furiously to shut these scammers down, but they crop up like flies! As soon as they shut down one, 2-3 more open up! As long as the scammers know that they can make some quick bucks (and not cheap ones at that) ... and move on again & again ... they do.

Louis Vuitton, Hermes, etc. are all trying aggressively to stop this trademark infringement. As a matter of fact, DO NOT purchase any fake stuff in France or Italy. If you are at the airport and a Customs official sees you with a fake, they will confiscate it!!!! I've seen this happen, and it's NOT PRETTY!

I am glad you brought up Customs. The fakes are getting into the US somehow -- they are not being stopped at the border and are being smuggled in. Just like drugs!

When the Feds find these shipments, they burn them. Also just like drugs.

Very interesting post Ceejay.. I think as long as there's a market, there will be suppliers.. I just wish people would get their heads straight and not buy fakes..

Here in Europe we have a brand called "Friis & Co". They sell wannabe Chloe's, Balenciagas, Luellas, Mulberry's and what not inspired bags under their own name.. People here have no idea they're taken from other designers!! In fact, "Friis" is now treated like a DESIGNER BRAND!! Pisses me off so friggin much :mad:

Swedie said:
Very interesting post Ceejay.. I think as long as there's a market, there will be suppliers.. I just wish people would get their heads straight and not buy fakes..

Here in Europe we have a brand called "Friis & Co". They sell wannabe Chloe's, Balenciagas, Luellas, Mulberry's and what not inspired bags under their own name.. People here have no idea they're taken from other designers!! In fact, "Friis" is now treated like a DESIGNER BRAND!! Pisses me off so friggin much :mad:

YEESH ... that's scary!!! However, here in the states (in a lot of the Celebrity "rags"/magazines) they oftentimes profile the Designer bag (Chloe, Balenciaga, Fendi, etc.) and then post a cheap knock-off (or two)!!! That's another reason why folks will buy that crap!!

Oh yeah ... in the states, they also have "Purse parties" (anyone been to one of these?!?!). A co-worker of mine goes to these things ... you should see the crap that she has! It's so bad, and she keeps on complaining about "oh, the logo fell off", "oh, look ... the stitching is coming undone ..." BLA BLA BLA ... well, dumb-a@@, don't buy that CHEAP CRAP!!! Drives me nuts! Whenever I come in with one of my 'real' bags, she insists on coming over, ooohing & aaaahing, but she CANNOT resist saying "oh, I can get the same bag for $nnn.nn less!!" NO YOU CAN'T!!!! Arrgghh :sick: :Push: :wacko:

bagaddict said:
How can sites like intrends.com, designerapparel.com, etc. still exist?!?! Why don't companies like Balenciaga, Prada, Gucci, sue them and shut them down? I just don't get it. Can someone please enlighten me?

I mean, is there some crazy economic advantage for them? It seems to me that it would be the direct opposite.

Your thoughts?

I don't know those site but if they sell fake stuff and still get away with it that is kinda sick.

DoughGirl said:
I agree. I work in the legal industry and matters such as these draw out for years and years and cost a lot of money. Once you finish litigating one company, and winning, there are 5,000 more producing your 'replicas'. You just can't win. It's a shame really

DoughGirl :smile: - does it mean that these companies have a design patent for their design of bag? If they don't, then it will not prevent others from copying the design. This could be why there are so many look-alikes and no one is taking action against them.

For counterfeits where they put the logos, it is easier to take legal action (?) since the TM is protected under law.

But I agree that the designer companies might feel money better spent in marketing/ establishing the prestigous brand than going around challenging these fakes.

Having said all that, would anyone buy look-alikes if you are aware that the original design comes from another brand? Personally, I don't think I would.