sensitive skin/acne- wanna brainstorm?

I would also get the:

Oil Free Moisturizer and Healing Cream. I think if you're going to switch skin care regimens you should switch everything, KWIM?
Okay then, here's my reformulated list.

acne repair kit (drying lotion, drying cream and buffering lotion)
drying mask

She does get little white heads on her pimples so I figured the drying lotion would help that. I'm also debating the healing cream or the healing mask. If she uses the drying lotion at night and the drying cream during the day, when would she use the healing cream? Also do you only use the buffering lotion when you do the drying mask?

I think I'm going to leave her cleanser alone for now and see what the "add ons" do first. Thank you so much- I really appreciate your help!

OK, here's what I recommend, not that I am an expert, but with the number of produts I have I'm close to it!

Morning:
Cleanse, moisturize. Apply drying cream then make-up.

Night:
Cleanse. Every other night apply buffering lotion first then drying mask. Wait 20 minutes. Rinse. Apply another layer of buffering lotion. Then apply healing cream as the moisturizer. Once absorbed, dab drying lotion (make sure to keep the bottle upright and you dip a q-tip all the way into the pink stuff at the bottom and dab on blemishes). Don't rinse off.

Hope it works for her! Please let us know! It's hard enough being a 14 yo girl....

OK, here's what I recommend, not that I am an expert, but with the number of produts I have I'm close to it!

Morning:
Cleanse, moisturize. Apply drying cream then make-up.

Night:
Cleanse. Every other night apply buffering lotion first then drying mask. Wait 20 minutes. Rinse. Apply another layer of buffering lotion. Then apply healing cream as the moisturizer. Once absorbed, dab drying lotion (make sure to keep the bottle upright and you dip a q-tip all the way into the pink stuff at the bottom and dab on blemishes). Don't rinse off.

Hope it works for her! Please let us know! It's hard enough being a 14 yo girl....

I am going to go order exactly what you suggested. Makes sense! Thank you so SO much! :tup:

Spend less money on products by taking your daughter to a Dermotologist.

The doctor will tell you precisely which products will work best. Mine told me to wash with inexpensive Cetaphil. For face moisturizer, I combine that company's lotion with a Rx antibacterial: Clindamycin Phosphate Lotion. The Rx is inexpensive because you can get a generic version.

The combination of these products and the cost of the Dermotologist is waaaay cheaper than the Clinque, Almay, etc products I had been using. And my products are far more effective and gentle.

Good luck!

Good luck! I forgot to mention, on the days she doesn't do the mask, she could still do the healing cream and drying lotion at night.

I think I need to go work for MB. :P

Yes, you should at least be getting a commission in free product!:P
I ordered the kit, the mask and the healing cream. I got samples of the cleanser, moisturizer and healing mask. Can't wait!

Spend less money on products by taking your daughter to a Dermotologist.

The doctor will tell you precisely which products will work best. Mine told me to wash with inexpensive Cetaphil. For face moisturizer, I combine that company's lotion with a Rx antibacterial: Clindamycin Phosphate Lotion. The Rx is inexpensive because you can get a generic version.

The combination of these products and the cost of the Dermotologist is waaaay cheaper than the Clinque, Almay, etc products I had been using. And my products are far more effective and gentle.

Good luck!
I've actually got an email out to a friend asking for a derm recommendation. I'm not from this area so I don't know the reputations. I have a derm I use for skin checks and though I trust him with skin cancer I wouldn't let him near my daughter's face. If the new products I ordered don't do the trick then off to the dermatologist we go.

try the dermatologist. are you sure its acne?
Well like I said, it does look more like a reaction to something but I've tried so many things over such a long period of time that I don't think it is. They're little papules. The embarrassing part is I'm an esthetician. I don't work anymore but I thought there was no skin problem I couldn't fix. I'm just glad she isn't a paying client.:P

She's only been using the Mineral Veil for a few weeks and I know it hasn't made anything worse. I'll definitely keep that in mind as a possible problem though.

BE made me break out horribly. Small bumps mostly... My derm said it was a skin reaction to product, not acne like I thought.

I still have blemishes in my t-zone and forehead area to prove it. I would suggest your DD to stop using everything and add back slowly her make-up routine. Let her skin breath for a while. That's how I realized it was BE for me.

BE made me break out horribly. Small bumps mostly... My derm said it was a skin reaction to product, not acne like I thought.

I still have blemishes in my t-zone and forehead area to prove it. I would suggest your DD to stop using everything and add back slowly her make-up routine. Let her skin breath for a while. That's how I realized it was BE for me.

Thanks- I don't think I could convince her to go to school without makeup though. If the Mario Badescu doesn't work we will have to consider the possibility that she is sensitive to MMU. She hasn't been on BM for long and her skin isn't any worse. She's actually using the Laura Mercier mmu foundation and BM mineral veil although she does have the BM foundation (just prefers the LM).

I talked to a girlfriend yesterday who is in her early 30s and has fought acne her whole life. I was asking for a dermatologist recommendation and she said she had had bad luck with them BUT she started using Mario Badescu a while back and it has changed her life. She said it is the first product that has made a huge difference so I am so hopeful now.

I did get a derm rec. from my hairdresser so if all else fails...

Thanks- I don't think I could convince her to go to school without makeup though. If the Mario Badescu doesn't work we will have to consider the possibility that she is sensitive to MMU. She hasn't been on BM for long and her skin isn't any worse. She's actually using the Laura Mercier mmu foundation and BM mineral veil although she does have the BM foundation (just prefers the LM).

I talked to a girlfriend yesterday who is in her early 30s and has fought acne her whole life. I was asking for a dermatologist recommendation and she said she had had bad luck with them BUT she started using Mario Badescu a while back and it has changed her life. She said it is the first product that has made a huge difference so I am so hopeful now.

I did get a derm rec. from my hairdresser so if all else fails...

Sounds like me! Another thing I forgot to mention is that I use Betadine Skin Cleanser (in the yellow bottle) in the mornings. This was a rec from my first dermatologist (but antibiotics, cetaphil, special lotion, etc never really helped). It is a germ killer. Maybe add that to her morning regimen.

i love MB--- definitely try that first!!! Also, this may seem like a little common sense, make sure she is drinking enough water. Its amazing what a little regimen of water can do.

Hi there, i'd like to take a little time to write to you, and also to whomever is dealing with acne.

The product suggestions are really top notch and i agree with the recommendations. However, in addition, i think you should maybe also start from the inside out. You know what i mean? I think you'll be doing a super great job combating the outside w/all the help and suggestions from experienced tPFers, but the inside needs some stabbing at too. So, in addition to your daughter using the products, the suggestions of drinking water are also a key part of helping internally control the acne. There's also other beneficial internal things your daughter could do and i will reveal to you my internal secret that i stumbled upon on accident for fighting acne.

My brief history overview. In my personal experience with acne, i've been fighting mild acne like crazy since i was a teen till now ---> 24. I had honestly NEVER found anything that worked - nothing. This is not surprising, correct? Because you've been helping your daughter fight this horrible disease or whatever it's classified as, with all sort of products without success. So, i'm not trying to bad mouth products. I do believe in them. I believe in them working to only help the skin to a certain degree which i will explain shortly. Anyways, back to my history: And now i'm at the point of where i'm having occasional pimples, which is phenomenally phenomenal because i'd frequently have them before. Use to wear lots of make up too LOL!! How i really know that my acne has changed, is that before i stumbled across my secret, i use to frequently get the nasty cystic type of acne that hurt...oh boy, you know when you have those, sometimes just by the slightest movement of your face could make them hurt. Now, i can't even recall when the last time i've even had one of those suckers.

Anyways, after all these years, i finally figured out that probably 80% of the culprit was my internal body - i leave 20% of the blame of acne to physically being able to control it, like having a good routine of washing your face and maybe using good products that tPFers have mentioned to you. But, what most of us forget to do is focus on the 80% because we're all caught up with the 20%. So, as a few have previously suggested to drink lots of water, this is part of the solution to the 80% culprit. And this is where i stumbled across my secret. What i mean by stumble is that i originally was using this method to remedy a particular ailment (my heartburn - btw, it works wonders on heartburn!!), but it went the whole 9 yards and helped my acne. Ok, so what i do is i put Apple Cider Vinegar in my water mixed with equal parts of honey and drink at least 2 cups of this each day. I use to drink it about 3 times a day but just like when people who reach a certain point of progress and feel satisfied at where they're at, they slack off. Yes, so what about Apple Cider Vinegar? IT'S THE SECRET! My face? Unbelievable. DBF, friends and family are amazed. I have never experienced my face being this smooth before. Apple Cider Vinegar is regarded as a natural healer by many people who have used it. If you're curious about this natural miracle, you can do some research about it by googling it or go to Earthclinic.com and read about many people's successful experiences with this product. Earthclinic is one of the largest resources for people that prefer natural healing.

I really see that by trying this regimine, she has nothing to lose, only lots to gain.
Ok, so this is how you'll know it's working, she will probably massively break out. I know, something you're tired of seeing, but this probably has to happen. Usually this is a sign that it's working because when toxins are eliminated from the inside to the outside, there are usually physcial signs of this happening, and the acne will show for it. The technical terminology for this would be detoxification. I have actually experienced this myself. In over a month, I gradually developed the largest cystic acne on my jaw line and was horrified...!! Just to remind you, during this time, my intentions and use of apple cider vinegar were only for helping my heartburn, so, i had no clue what was happening to my body and questioned why my acne had took a turn for the worse. How long will it take to see real results? Maybe about 3 months, but it's worth it because then maintaining the results will be simple, just a lower dosage of apple cider vinegar. In about a month (the time may vary as everybody's body responds differently) after regularly using this remedy, she'll be breaking out more and then it will die down, and maybe come to a complete halt.

So, you have to get the right kind of apple cider vinegar because they are not all created equally. Where to find this apple cider vinegar stuff? Go to GNC and get the Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar. The unfiltered sediments is the beneficial stuff that the supermarket brands are lacking. What kind of honey, any kind would be good. I like Trader Joe's stuff so i'd recommend any of the honey from Trader Joe's. Dosage? Always remember to give a good shake to the bottle of Apple cider vinegar, put 2 teaspoons in a cup of 8 oz. water, and mix it with 2 teaspoons of honey. Smile, have good thoughts about the pimples disappearing and drink.

Good luck and i hope you look into this advice, or if anybody else does, i wish you luck and i wish you the patience that is needed for results to show. There are also MANY other health benefits that Apple Cider Vinegar offers and it's unbelievable what it can do, please research this if you have time. You are such a great mom for helping your daughter out!!

Last edited: