Semi-tame stray cat...what to do?

Junkenpo

Maui Strong...♥️
O.G.
Jan 23, 2007
So... I'm an advisor at a girls' dormitory, and in about 2 weeks, we let out for summer break....

We have stray cats all over campus, but there has been one cat in particular that the girls give scraps to (since it was a kitten earlier in the year) that allows himself to be petted....

In fact, he hangs out around the dorms every evening & meows for attention & purrs when petted....

When the dorms close for summer, the building will be empty... and i'm concerned for the poor cat... he's very friendly & I think would be very lost/confused at the empty campus/dorm.

I've been thinking about taking him to a shelter...but...any suggestions on the best way to catch/transport it?

whatever you do, make sure you take it to a no-kill shelter!
you could try to attract him with food and catch him. they also have these live traps which are very popular for catching cats, you stick food in the back and the cat walks in and it's trapped. it's very humane, just make sure to check it often. if you can catch it with your hands, buy a small cat carrier to take it to the shelter. good luck!

^Yup such a good idea.

Get a live humane trap from one of the shelters, put some food in it...he will wander in :smile:

Then take him to a no kill shelter...that is so important b/c if you just take him to a pound, etc. he could possibly be euthanized :sad:

Thanks for helping this kitty! You are awesome!!

No-kill shelter or better, local rescue organizations. If you contact them, they may lend you the trap. If you let us know where you are located, PFers may be able to give you names of rescue places.

feral cats are pretty good at taking care of themselves and really help keep the rodent population in check. however, a healthy feral population is best so if you want him to stay free, if you can catch him, take him to the vet for a complete work up, vaccinations and yes, spay or neutering. If you decide to release him/her back out on campus, at least that will be one less cat that will contribute to kitty overpopulation and will not infect other cats but have a fun life chasing/killing prey. (I always suggest doing this with all feral cats - alot of them don't want to be adopted.) Otherwise, like others have said, take him/her to a no kill shelter.

Yes, like others mentioned - it would be very thoughtful for you to take him to a no-kill shelter or rescue group, if you can't adopt him into your home. If a live trap isn't available, you might be able to ask a shelter for loaner animal carrier. Open the carrier, place some yummy food towards the back and wait...

You might have to leave a food trail to get him inside, but he'll appreciate it when he finds his forever home!

Thanks for being so thoughtful towards this little guy!

I checked the local shelter's website & they do have loaner carriers, and do have a trap/neuter/release program... I emailed them for advice on what to do, so I'm waiting on a reply.

He's a cute cat, and except for the fact I'm very allergic to cats (as is everyone in my house), I'd be tempted to take him myself.

He's got a couple of buddies on campus, but hangs out near the dorms day & night. The rest of the cats on campus are usually seen only in the evening/at night, and they scat as soon as you look at them. I don't know how well or even IF he hunts.

I live 45 minutes away, and driving back & forth over summer to keep tabs on him is just not feasible.

He'd have to stay an outdoor kitty, but can anyone speak for or against trying to relocate him to my neighborhood?

Bless you for being so concerned for that stray cat. As the other posters have said, please make sure that the shelter is a no-kill shelter. How about the other stray cats?

You know what is so sad?

It seems like at sometime this poor little guy was someone's pet that they just let loose b/c they didn't want him anymore. How sad :sad:

You know what is so sad?

It seems like at sometime this poor little guy was someone's pet that they just let loose b/c they didn't want him anymore. How sad :sad:

Thats how I found my sister's cat. I was at college and a housemate found a 6 week old kitten outside our townhouse. She had to go to class so I watched her for 2 days and ended up giving her to my sister. She was so heathly and already litterbox trained, so I was convinced someone just dropped her off. We had never seen cats around campus before. Now the cat hates me!

He'd have to stay an outdoor kitty, but can anyone speak for or against trying to relocate him to my neighborhood?

I don't think trying to relocate him to a different neighborhood would work. I'm sure he'd be really confused and try to find his way back.
Usually when you relocate a cat you keep them indoors for a couple of weeks.
I think a loving home is what he needs. I hope it all works out, rescuing an animal is a truly rewarding experience.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm still waiting to hear back from the local humane society...

Westiegirl.... that's what I'm afraid of... the campus/dorms are the last stop on a road that ends on a hill. There's very little traffic up here, but there are cars zooming in & out on my road at home.

I've never had a cat for a pet (I'm a lovebird person), so I have no clue on what it takes to take care of them long term..... and there's no way I could tolerate (allergy-wise) a cat inside my house. Darn.

So I shall make a follow up call to the humane society and hopefully this will be settled soon!