Selling on EBay

shamrock0421

U Get What You Give
O.G.
Feb 17, 2007
I don't have much experience with EBay. I browse sometimes, but that's about it. (I bought a bandana for my dog, but that's about the extent of it.)

Anyway, I have several items (Tiffany earrings, Coach bags, possibly an LV MC, tons of DVDs, figurines, etc.) that I'm looking to sell.

I'd like to know your experiences and how this has worked out for you in the past. I know I can go through a consignment store - but some of these bags are so new, I'm not certain I'm ready to settle for 60%. (However, after working on EBay, maybe 60% will look very appealing.) :wtf:

Any information or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

On any designer name items, the best thing to do is to take LOTS of pics. Inside, outside, downside, upside, front and back. Since these are probably not new, you probably don't have receipts? It leaves your auctions more open to be pulled without them so describe everything well along with the pics. Buyers hate reserves, so try to avoid. Start at the price you're honestly looking to get, and require buyers to bid now/PAY now on any buy it now items so you avoid the non-paying newbies. You can require anyone with less than 5 or 10 feedbacks to email you before they bid so you can ask their payment intentions and method of payment. Newbies can be costly and give lots of headaches.
Auctions ending Sunday nights appear to do best, although personally Friday night s aren't all bad because alot of people get paid then and shop. I don't know where you live but here in the US USPS priority mail insured is a good and and a safe way to go and they have free boxes that will fit most anything you have.
You may want to purchase some kind of plastic tags that you can attach to expensive items to prevent bait & switch returns. They have to be cut off so if its removed upon a return, (if you accept returns) you'll know its not yours.
Since eBay is so saturated with everything you have to be competitive in your pricing or relisting fees will eat you alive. Thats why I've quit listing for the most part because I can't make any money. Either you have to price it too low, or the listing fees, selling fees, Paypal fees, etc., will kill you.
Thats all I can think of right now. Some other tPF members may have some pointers. Good luck!

Pix, Pix, Pix - as many as possible. Use Auctiva.com for free image hosting of up to 16 pix for each auction. And be specific on your description terms - using appropriate brand names, markings, serial no's, etc. The more specific you can be, the better. And yes - you've got to price it to move it. That's the only way to distinguish yourself in a sea of "stuff."

On any designer name items, the best thing to do is to take LOTS of pics. Inside, outside, downside, upside, front and back. Since these are probably not new, you probably don't have receipts? It leaves your auctions more open to be pulled without them so describe everything well along with the pics. Buyers hate reserves, so try to avoid. Start at the price you're honestly looking to get, and require buyers to bid now/PAY now on any buy it now items so you avoid the non-paying newbies. You can require anyone with less than 5 or 10 feedbacks to email you before they bid so you can ask their payment intentions and method of payment. Newbies can be costly and give lots of headaches.
Auctions ending Sunday nights appear to do best, although personally Friday night s aren't all bad because alot of people get paid then and shop. I don't know where you live but here in the US USPS priority mail insured is a good and and a safe way to go and they have free boxes that will fit most anything you have.
You may want to purchase some kind of plastic tags that you can attach to expensive items to prevent bait & switch returns. They have to be cut off so if its removed upon a return, (if you accept returns) you'll know its not yours.
Since eBay is so saturated with everything you have to be competitive in your pricing or relisting fees will eat you alive. Thats why I've quit listing for the most part because I can't make any money. Either you have to price it too low, or the listing fees, selling fees, Paypal fees, etc., will kill you.
Thats all I can think of right now. Some other tPF members may have some pointers. Good luck!

Very thorough and informative.
Excellent information.
Thank you so much for taking the time.
It's truly appreciated.:tup:

I would be careful about listing lots of DVDs. I think that ebay has had problems with pirated DVDs and will cancel/suspend new sellers if they start out with lots of DVDs. I also would try selling just a couple of things at first to see if selling on ebay is going to be worth it. As a buyer, I don't often like to buy expensive items from a brand new seller.